New transfer rumours: Seol Ki-Hyeon and Cha Ki-Seok

Discussion in 'Korea' started by K_19, Jul 12, 2005.

1. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Two new news I've heard at soccerworld and various other Korean sources...

1) Seol Ki-Hyeon is apparently gaining interest from Aston Villa. Personally, I'd wish if he stayed at Wolverhampton for one more year under Hoddle...

2) U-20 goalkeeper Cha Ki-Seok has been requested by Hiddink and PSV Eindhoven to join their squad for the Peace Cup for a trial run. Word is that he's already been given a room with Lee YP, to help him fit in to the team better. Cha still has lot of things to learn and his decision making is questionable, but he's got time on his side. He's also got the right physical attributes to be a good keeper (191cm), so I hope that he can impress Hiddink enough so that he can take him and develop him.

Let's discuss the possibilities of these two possible moves.

2. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    I don't think Seol should stay. The Wolves morale hasn't been that high, and they play on a very bad pitch in Wolverhampton, which in turn downgrades the morale even more. I don't think promotion is a likely possibility in the near future.

3. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I'm not too familiar with the situation for Wolves (I'm expecting Quirky_Birky to stop by soon ;) we'll see what he has to say), but Seol had a decent season last year and adjusted to the conditions well under Hoddle. I think it would be alright for him to stay another year or two to get used to England and the league itself...

We'll see what happens, though. This is only a random rumour, anyway.

4. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i sincerely hope Koreans learn to stick with one team so they'll stop being viewed as an opportunist.

5. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    I'm not too familiar with Seol's situation but Cha's news is definitely a surprise. Cha has the size and the athletic ability to become a good keeper but he is definitely mistake-prone (see Nigeria game). Remember that he is ONLY training with them for now and at the last Peace Cup, one of our youth player did the same and never got signed.

Although I have doubt about Cha, I wouldn't question Hiddink's ability to find talent. Maybe he saw something in films that impressed him enough to pick Cha over Park CY, Baek JH or Kim SY. IF Cha does make it to PSV then he'll have great training and maybe have a chance to become the first world-class Korean keeper. He'll also have time to develop as Gomes' understudy. I hope Cha does speak good English. GKs needs more communication skill then any other position in the field.

6. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    That'd be Cho Won Kwang. The experience probably helped him sign for Sochaux later on, though.

Like you said, this is only a tryout, and Hiddink may or may not try him out in the real game, but it's good to hear that he was even considered. I'm not expecting too much out of him, but hey, who knows. He might impress.

7. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    I am with u on this. Seol should move to P-League when he can. Staying with Wolves does not necessarily mean he will get good playing time, Hoddel or not.

8. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Go Seol Go!!! Make us Proud :)

9. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    cha ki seok a trial at psv huh....well if everything goes well psv will probly loan him out or something....they have gomes, zoetbier, and some australian guy all pretty good...but he will improve..hope things work out....oh yea anyone know what time in la the peace cup matches will be can anyone post them up?? thanks

10. SamYoon22

SamYoon22 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    USA
    what i'm wondering is how Gomes is able to play so well on PSV. is it because he can communicate with Alex (both of them being brazilian) or does he know some dutch/english? if cha can make it in europe, i think kim young kwang should get the chance too...

btw, anyone have any clips of cha ki seok?

11. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How the hell is this Cha fellow supposed to direct an english and dutch speaking team?

I believe this one when its confirmed.

12. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/20050713/110501000020050713144155K6.html

I supposed he'd have to learn english or dutch pretty quickly. It seems like a long term plan if Hiddink does sign him, anyway. So he'll have his time.

13. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    if PSV really lands Cha with a long term contract, then Cha better win gold in the Asian Games because PSV won't waste 2 years and 6 months of their money and time for Cha for his military duties.

14. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Did someone call? :)

I saw this mentioned on the Seol thread. Wolves aren't in a selling frame of mind at the moment, so would be unlikely to let Seol go unless someone pays silly money for him, and I don't think Villa would do that. Hoddle is trying to build a squad and is wanting to use everyone who's available to him (even Henri Camara). Every now and then, Villa do pay large amounts on a player, and being another Midlands team, they'll be well aware of the impact that Seol has had, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of this.

As for the pitch, well I believe it has been relaid (Hoddle was pushing for this before the end of last season). It was in a shocking state, but it is in Wolves interests that they improve it.

Morale is pretty high at Molineux. It has been since Hoddle took charge (Still only one league defeat under Hoddle - I think our only losses were against Wigan, who were promoted, and Arsenal who we played in the cup - we're allowed to lose to Arsenal... right?). The only unhappy players are Henri Camara who thinks he's better than he is, and Kenny Miller who has "personal problems" but has declared his commitment to the Wolves cause.

Personally, I'd give Seol another season at Wolves. If he has another good season then it'll strengthen his position for a move to the Premiership if the unmentionable happens. :(

15. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

i wish kim young kwang went instead of Cha Ki-Seok..
    as for Seol i think he should leave Wolverhampton and go on to a higher club

16. GitongaSimba

GitongaSimba New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree with QB 100% that Seol should stay. Without sounding too pedantic, I don't think too many of our Korean friends understand that Wolves are a big club. They're not 'Pool, they're not ManU; but they're major, with history, great fans, a great stadium, and in my mind, a great winning spirit. Yeah, they're in the Championship at the mo, but they belong in the premiership. Going to Villains is not a step up. The only reasons Seol should consider moving are (1) he falls out with Glenna and is sitting on the bench, (2) Wolves get relegated into Second Div., or (3) one of the sacred brotherhood of 14 clubs come calling (I'm talking Real Madrid here people). If he shows loyalty, the black country fans will pledge their undying devotion to him for years--that's got to be something, doesn't it?

17. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks QB for your comments.

Always appreciated:D

18. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I understand that the Wolves are a club with much tradition and history, but considering their recent plight in EPL (or the much lack of there of), wouldn't it be better for Seol to move to Aston Villa (if he wanted to play in EPL)? At least Aston Villa stay up in EPL and often finish in the mid-high positions on the table - and if Seol can play well for them I'm sure the fans will warm up to him, as they did in Molineux.

Still, it maybe better for Seol to stay for at least another season with the Wolves, put up a series of decent performances and help the club gaining the promotion. But if Wolves still don't get promoted even with him firing, then Seol has got to go in the season after, whether it be Aston Villa or any other mid-level EPL club.

Ah, I just noticed that I basically rephrased QB's earlier post - great minds think alike :p

19. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Maybe seol should get loaned. and see how that turns out.

20. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    he should have stayed at anderlecht. they are a good euro squad and have european exposure. i wish he didn't settle for a championship team like the wolves. he doesn't
    need that in his career. if he played in the premiership...then that would have been
    good..but the wolves suck. they have a good tradition..but lets face reality.....he would have been better off in belgium...or holland.

21. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Seol wasnt getting any playing time at Anderlecht. Also he was struggling so he got benched obviously. I think the Wolves move was fantastic. Not only did he play better it seems he got more trust in his team mates and he settled in England fairly quickly. As he played more and more he gained more confidence. Hoddle picked up on that and gave him space and versitile positions. sry going off topic. Overall the Wolves move was was NO dissapointment.

Also I think the coca cola championship league is more competitive than the belgian division.

22. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's what a lot of fans in Korea worried about when Seol made the move to the Wolves. However, he later said at an interview that it doesn't improve your chances to move to a better league if your team always fails at the group stages

23. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Aye, I must agree. I'm sorry, but the Juliper league does not come close to the Coca Cola Championship. I also have to say Seol was lucky for Hoddle to come in, as Hoddle admired him before he took over Wolves.

24. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    i guess moving to england was the better move atleast to have the slightest chance in playing in the best league in the world....but he was lucky that Hoddle came along. don't get me wrong, the championship league is good. but some teams suck like crap. same goes w/ belgium teams. but club brugge and anderlecht are pretty decent.
    hopefully the wolves will do a lot better than last year. i hope seol will eventually end up in the premiership...before he gets too old.
    he may get england exposure..which is good...but anderlecht is a good team to get exposure too like canadian international, Tomasz Radzinski.
    on the other hand, i guess he had his issues w/ his former club. he had incredible goals there though...