New to MLS help me pick a team

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by A Hugh Jass, Jan 31, 2010.

1. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive always played and watch usa and EPL games. so sell me on your MLS team.

2. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm not going to give you a hard sell, but I'm a Rapids fan, and let me make some suggestions:
    You can't pick RSL since they're the defending champs, nor can you go with LA because of the Beckham-Donovan link, either of these choices are too much like bandwagoning. I suppose geographically you could go with DC United, but then again they've won the most titles so that's a bit of a bandwagoner move, but they've been pretty bad lately so you could be forgiven. TFC is a bit too Canadian. I personally can't stand New England since the guy that owns the Patriots owns them and my hatred for the Pats extends to all forms of life (I'm a Jets fan). Chicago has never been the kind of city I like, Seattle has enough support in their own city that they don't need your support, San Jose, Houstan, and Kansas City play in crap stadiums that are hard to watch on TV so you don't want to be going out of your way all year to see that. New York has a new stadium to show off but unless you're a New York guy it always seems hard to root for New York teams... plus they were absolutely horrible last year. FCD gets no fan support but have a young team with some bright stars... might come down to how you feel about Texas as a whole on that one. I can't say much, my Rapids don't do great in the crowd department despite having a sweet little stadium that has some nice touches (the partial roof thing is pretty cool). Columbus might be the blue-collar team of choice, plus they had the first soccer specific stadium so that's cool. However, their ownership seems to cheap out on Coaches (letting Sigi go) and rumors are around that they're moving away. Then there's Philly, you could get in on the ground floot there, but you might be seeing years of frustration before they make the playoffs so who knows?

However, you have in your info listed that you're an Aston Villa fan. So if you went with the Rapids your color scheme would be consistant and you'd get to wear the reversed pattern (the rapids away jersey is light blue with crimson/claret highlights--by far the nicest jersey in the league). The Rapids feature a lot of young guys that are starting to move up in ability and Conor Casey who plays some with the national team (as well as Pablo Maestroeni who used to be the national teams' designated headhunter). Colin Clark will probably be in the mix for the US team after this World Cup.

Maybe you could head down to that pre-season tourney in Charleston some time and see/meet the teams yourself and decide who fits you the most?

3. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Baised, go to DC, great history, nice jerseys, great fanbase.

Unbaised, Chivas USA, they are building a nice team that should last for a while.

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Its all about watching soccer live. I've followed DC United since 1996 but it wasn't until 2001 when I got a ticket package & started attending regularly that it starting taking over all of my sports interest.

Live far from a team, (it doesn't have to be MLS)? Take some long drives. I know some DC United fans that do this.

Or better, move. You'll find its worth it.

6. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    So it's been decided, DC United it is. :)

7. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope Philly. i want to support the team from the ground up

8. andrew.urlacher

andrew.urlacher New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know an earlier reply said not to support SSFC because we already have the fan support, but if you want to be proud of your organization. If you want to feel honored to walk with a team. If you feel like having every opportunity to have your voice heard throughout the Alliance then follow SSFC with your head held high. If not... at least you should respect how we're going about the business of football.

Come on boys take them all!!!

:D

9. furball

furball Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AnyClubExceptSeattle

10. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    +11111

11. Magister

Magister Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Support the club that inspires the hate

12. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Love the flowchart. Oh those poor poor stupid Aggies. Leland McElroy was the next Tony Dorsett huh?;)

I've been an MLS fan almost since it's inception when I watched games on Univision to today and I still haven't picked a team. Sad isn't it. :eek: But I still have fun watching games. I've leaned towards certain teams from time to time, but I've never actually had anything approaching a loyalty to any team. But as long as MLS gets my money and I watch them on tv it's all the same to them. I don't need to have a team. I enjoy the league. :cool:

14. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Same for me. Until I have a club within close proximity, I just enjoy the league overall.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Would it be right to use the term "glory hunter" if one is looking to be sold on a team?

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Glory is but one criterion. There are many qualities which would draw one to a club.

17. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What's your favorite color?

If its Green, Orange, Claret, or Yellow (Crew) your decision is simple. Black? Narrowed down to 2 teams.

If its Red or Blue ....you're ********ed.

Welcome aboard and chose wisely...

18. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that way is really good actually^^^^

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two options:

Support Charleston Battery. If US Soccer fans want a team in their area and they support the nearest viable option, there's a chance that MLS will be attracted to your city.

Support DC United. Despite being 7 hours away, they're your closest team.

Alternatively:

Support both of the above.
    Support the team whose football you most enjoy.
    Support the team whose philosophy you most relate to.
    Support whoever the home team is in this weeks main televised game.

However, in terms of the glory-hunting aspect... whoever you support, you're with them for the rest of eternity or until they fold, even if they do start to suck.

20. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    looks like he gave up on Philadelphia already. poor guy.

21. Dtown

Dtown Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to get into MLS more seriously and looking for a team. Living in Michigan I kind of want to support a team in the Midwest. But I'm having trouble deciding.

I like the look of the Crew best, but they've been so good lately, would it be considered bandwagon jumping? Also I'm a U of M alum, rooting for someone from Columbus is a little weird.

Chicago is...well Chicago, I was born in Detroit and since I follow Baseball, Football, Hockey, and Basketball too...yeah it's awkward.

Kansas City probably has the least issues in terms my history, but they don't seem as well supported as the others...

Any suggestions?

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you like the look of the Crew best and you are comfortable you aren't bandwagon jumping, then go for it. IMO, as long as you're loyal enough to still be there if things go south, that's the main thing - and given that you've got the Wizards on this list, that would seem to be the case. :p

If you feel that the pull of your college affiliations is too much to go with the Crew, then don't let a lack of supporters for Kansas put you off. Every team has to start somewhere and if every potential fan is put off by lack of support, it'll just create a catch 22 situation.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    if you pick DC United now no one will ever accuse you of bandwagon jumping.

24. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is exactly why you should pick them to support. Plus, they're gonna have a sexy new stadium.

You can't go wrong. :D

25. Dtown

Dtown Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm I do follow the Lions...how much worse could the Wizards be? I think it's down to them and the Crew (can't bring myself to root for anything out of chitown)