New Team Names

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Calexico77, Sep 19, 2003.

1. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    here are my thoughts...

DALLAS BURN --> no offense to the burn faithful but the club should rename itself. i like the mustangs/stallions idea proposed earlier; update the emblem and you're done. if dallas still wants a pyro-sounding name, then i suggest inferno. not completely perfect, but a vast improvement. dragons is another possibility. either way, dallas should do this in 2005; frisco stadium done and dallas's club is 'reborn.'

as for the existing clubs, the names are fine; columbus needs to rework its emblem; i think the revolution could update their emblem too--perhaps utilizing an old revolutionary war banner such one with the snake reading 'don't tread upon me.' or go to www.revolutionsoccer.net and check out the logo for the midnight riders supporters club...paul revere-esque and quite snazzy.

as for new clubs ideas:

-san diego: aztecs, diablos; chivas works but i'd like to see something new
    -houston: dynamos/dynamo houston; red stars/red star houston.
    -philadelphia: freedom; no fury/atoms
    -st. louis: stallions/mustangs (if dallas doesn't use the horse-related name first)
    -new york: cosmos; imperials could work too.
    -cleveland: i've seen stoke city/stokers mentioned before and it could work.
    -okc/tulsa: barons, toros.
    -new orleans: monarchs (connection with royality/mardi gras).
    -memphis: blues
    -portland: wanderers

these next 2 are a stretch but let's give it a try:

-atlanta: harriers (a harrier is a type of hawk; it goes along with the other bird-based altanta teams)
    -seattle: i don't like the name 'sounders' barracudas?

okay i'm out of ideas

2. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the league went suspended operations for a year. The Knights actually had a nice looking logo and color scheme.

As for the subject of this thread,

I would like to see future teams,, if applicable, adopt the names and logos of past NASL teams.

New York Cosmos
    Sand Diego Sockers of the NASL/MISL
    St. Louis Steamers of the old MISL
    Portland Timbers

I would have no problem with the CHivas bveing incorporated into the name like San Diego Chivas.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK I think a couple of towns are entitled to heritage names:

S.D. Soccers
    Seattle Sounders
    Chicago Sting

The idea of resurecting the Aztec name for a southern California team is a solid choice as well.

I think that a team name should be something that the hometown fans can identify with, making the Chicago Fire, and SJ Earthquakes (along with DC United) the best names in MLS.

For Houston how about Lone Star instead of Red Star. Last I saw, the Republic of Texas was not a communist state. The idea of incorporating Star into Houston's name is good since it would mesh in with the NBA, and MLB teams. Incorporating Lone Star ties it in with the NFL team.

Philadelphia should use it's American Historical significance to it's advantage. Freedom? Too cheesy, and a team with that name just died.

Portland Explorers: in honor of Lewis and Clark.

Weren't Tulsa the Roughnecks in the NASL. That's got a decent ring if OK want's to cling to the past, but Outlaws are good as well.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis was OK with the two teams one name bit for quite some time. (Cardinals of baseball, and football).

The trademark/naming right issue does not come into play unless there is an effort to look like the team in another sport.

There is no issue between the Washington Wizards and the KC Wizards. KC started out as the Wiz, why? Because there was a soccer team in Delaware called the Wizards.

5. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that S.D. Sockers/Soccers is still around. It just is SO cheeseball. I don't care how long they've been around.

And I think, for the sake of a clean start, no MISL teams should be resurrected (even though I was a big fan)

Regarding Chivas, they could really start some s**t and call it AZTLAN F.C.

Man, considering Philadelphia has some of the worst team names in pro sports (Phillies, Fliers, 76'ers) "Freedom" "Liberty" "Bells" "CheeseSteaks" really don't sound so bad.

6. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I personally love the idea Jeff Bradley had that, if Oklahoma City gets a team that it should be called Oklahoma City Arsenal.

Chivas USA is a somewhat silly name on appearance, but I will give a bit of credit for being unique on the American sports scene. Far too many similar names are reused throughout the sports here.

I also long for the day that a team picks up the "FC" again, like Miami Fusion FC did. Yeah, you can say that it's "soccer" here and not "football", but "Soccer Club" sounds pathetic, "Football Club" fits, and since most would just accept FC on surface without considering what it means, it wouldn't really hurt anything. I've always liked the perennial fan favorite name of "Empire FC".

Would like to see Rochester get in, and thus they should keep the Rhinos name, but at least get rid of the Raging part.

For Philly, I like Freedom or Liberty. Something to do with our Founding Fathers and that cracked bell.

7. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    after reading the posts, i see that some of you out there strive for original names or one that reflect a city's heritage. and of course, we all want to avoid bad team names that have plagued sport teams of late. but do you think that another mls club could use 'united' as its name? look at the english leagues--> leeds united , manchester united, sheffield united. should d.c. united be the only club in mls to carry that name, or it is possible to have another club in the league with 'united' as its name?

8. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Some city needs to grow some balls and name their team "The Legion of Doom". C'mon how beast is that? I agree with the crappy names in the WUSA and other teams out there. I personally like the Charleston Battery in the A-League. Great name.

9. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Please! Are we a women's league? I hate naming teams after ideas. HOW FREAKING INTIMIDATING IS FREEDOM?! OOOOOOOOOO! WATCH OUT! THE FREEDOM IS COMING TO TOWN! LEGION OF DOOM!!!!!! PLEASE MLS JUST NAME A TEAM THE LEGION OF DOOM!

10. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this :|
    Those two names, Liberty and Freedom, are not MLS material at all. They are on par with the Wiz and Clash. I can agree with something to do with the Bell, founding fathers, etc....but not these.

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right Freedom and Liberty are not names in themselves.

But they could be incorporated into a longer name.
    But how something along the lines of Freedom Fighters? Triple Alliteration! I know the actual idea of Freedom Fighters is lame, but it's just the idea of wrapping Freedom in with something else.

12. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    i know that detroit isn't a favorite for expansion, but an idea hit me for a possible name for a detroit club. the DETROIT ARSENAL. let me explain...

during wwII, michigan's factories were a major producer of arms and munitions for the allied war effort. so big was the war production that roosevelt called it an 'arsenal of democracy.' i think a name like 'detroit arsenal' has potential. it reflects some history, traditional sounding for the more traditional soccer fans, but different without being ludicrious (i.e. thrashers, raptors, cyberrays, burn).

13. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    My old hometown of Salt Lake City has been mentioned a few times. If so, I love the name "Golden Spike F.C." It has a nice historical connection to the town and easily shortens to the "G-Spikes"

Then they could have red, gold, and black uni's.

Other names I like

San Deigo: Aztecs
    San Antonio/Houston/Austin (I can dream): Lone Star F.C.
    Philidelphia: Union Philidelphia
    New York: Empire
    Seatle/Portland: North Pacific Rangers (NPR)

I wish more current teams would follow the Metrostars lead and eliminate the City Name from their title. i.e. "The Revolution" or "New England" not "The New England Revolution"

I think "The Revolution vs. Earthquake F.C." rolls of the tongue easier and sounds cooler than "The New England Revolution vs the San Jose Earthquakes."

14. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not a new idea. Every time it comes up, I must remind people that NOBODY anywhere near Detroit associates the city with the phrase "Arsenal of Democracy" except history buffs and those old enough to have lived in Detroit during the war.

All this would do is to give the Euro-poseurs a woody. It would have ZERO of the intended effect, which is to provide a connection between the team and its potential fans. ZERO.

It's a lousy idea. But, keep trying. My personal favorite is Dynamo Detroit.

15. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    so if detroit arsenal is a lousy choice because it euro-poseur, then what chance does dynamo detroit have??

16. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or just San Diego Aztlan. That would be so awsome! It would generate ethnic pride like Barça does in Spain. Excellent idea.

17. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the idea, but it's unlikely. I think we'll have to wait until the league is more established to get more United's or start dropping City/area names from the title. MLS is still teaching people the names, so they don't want to confuse anyone.

In Europe (yes, I'm a Euro-posuer I guess), and in most of the rest of the footballing world, the nickname is not part of the real name. Some clubs have neat, unique names (Arsenal, Shef. Wed., Spurs), but most are just "United" or "City" in England, and those are just to distinguish between teams in the same city most of the time. What about something that would be close to "Real" (Royal) or "Deportivo" (Sport?) in Spain? What about a "Rovers" or "Wanderers" somewhere? I think it would sound a lot more serious than coming up with a new, awful nickname, even if we are copying a bit. We can probably put our own spin on it.

Funny thing is, if you think about a few of the nicknames in the other major sports, they are pretty bad (Packers, (Color) Sox, Phillies,Knicks) but they have respect attached to them because of their history. So we just need to wait another 20 years...I mean, I'm starting to get used to the Burn. I used to hate "Metrostars" but now I'm used to it--like the "Metros" nick better...;)

Also, if the nickname sucks, just call the team by the city, as in "K.C." or "Dallas".

Remember when you would regularly here people say "The United"? Glad we got past that point!

18. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    i'm not sure that's a good thing...

19. GalaxyFoLife

GalaxyFoLife Member

Jul 16, 2002
    San Diego Barracudas
    Dallas Stallions
    San Antonio Bandits
    Oklahoma Sentinels
    New York Cosmos
    Philadelphia Sparrows
    Detroit Mustangs
    Cleveland Larks
    Houston Apollos
    Portland Timbers
    Seattle Sounders
    San Francisco Scorpions

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia Sparrows???

How about the Philadelphia Fo Rizzles

21. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I've always felt the San Diego Lawnmowers would be a good fit for Chivas USA.

22. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think that the "intimidation factor" needs to be played down.

I mean, c'mon. Everton FC are the flippin' Toffees. People are afraid of the Lakers not cuz of their name, but because they are a great team.

A name needs to be relavant to the city's history and location, and needs to roll off the tongue nicely.

Big Prop's to "North Pacific Rangers". Rangers is such a great name, and is used in almost every sport. And the idea of the Philly Fo' Rizzle is really starting to grow on me.

Regardless, the jersey's should drop their team name and use their city instead. that way there will be a closer identification to fans. It's like the B on a Red Sox Cap or the LA on a Dodger's hat. You'll get sports fans who love their city interested.

San Diego Barracudas - are their Barracudas in S.D.? Not when I lived there

Oklahoma Sentinel - sounds like a newspaper

Detroit Mustangs - This would actually be pretty cool, especially if Ford sponsored their kits

23. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNITED

Also, in reference to earlier posts, UNITED for teams in Britain isn't a nickname.

In Manchester United, "United" isn't the nickname. "The Red Devils" are a nickname. Just like West Ham ("The Hammers").

In D.C., they were just being clever.

I'd love to know where the use of "United" or "City" comes from in the history of Athletic clubs in Britain.

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I dont think SC or FC apply to MLS teams because they dont have a Club with Members ect it just doesnt apply. Putting those initials just so it can look good is quite gay.

Carry on :)

25. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States