New Team Names

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Calexico77, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post/thread, and I wanted to ask you seriously about the franchise naming in the MLS.

Since everyone has got an idea where the new teams should be, I'd love to hear your ideas for a new franchise name in regards to a specific city.

I'm sure this is brought up every so often, but some of the MLS names (and especially the WUSA names) are pretty weak, and their logos are worse (what's with the Rainbow, K.C.?)

I'm a big supporter of the Chivas S.D. idea. Anyone else?

-adam

2. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I actually love the Wizards logo. The rainbow comes from the connection between Kansas (even though they're in MO) and The Wizard of Oz. Pretty original I think. As far as Chivas, I really wish they would come up with their own team name in connection with Chivas. People on the boards like the goats and the chupacabras, I like those too. If MLS goes to Philadelphia, I say bring back the Atoms, or how about a very Elton Johnish Philadelphia Freedom?:) If it's in Oklahoma, how about the Bandits, Outlaws or Twisters. Houston Dragones. Just my thoughts and what the heck do I know anyway?

3. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigSoccer, Calexico77! I agree that the names aren't all that great and the logos are even worse. But as the league grows and matures I think things will change for the better. To tell you the truth I don't really like the San Diego Chivas idea. I'm more for the San Diego Sockers idea! Maybe sometime in the future they can both be in MLS and have a real derby. That would be awesome.

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, so that's the Rainbow thing. . .

Still, it's kinda blah. . .

I like the Houston Dragones. I also liked the the Bandits, that's cool.

Someone else mentioned a NY Empire, which I think would completely rock.

I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but the S.D. Sockers makes the team sound like a youth league squad. It's like "Ladybugs".

What about the San Diego Armada? Kind of Spanish, kind of ties into the whole Navy-town thing.

-adam

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it must not be that bad since it's been the same for 20 years.

6. WildRiver

WildRiver New Member

May 27, 2003
    Mile High
    If New Orleans ever gets a team they should be called New Orleans Tuesday. Like Sheiffeild (sp?) Wednesday in Europe.

7. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Brooklyn waterfront gets a team they could be called the Monitors.

Anyone get it?

8. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    The USS Monitor was built at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. In 100 days I believe. Excellent choice. When the Mariners changed their affiliation to Virginia Beach, owner Mike Field said it was, among other things, because no one knew where Hampton Roads was. I suggested that they could change their name to the Hampton Roads Ironclads. I love it, but I'm a Civil War buff. Brooklyn Monitors? Fantastic. I wish I'd thought of it.

Incidentally, the Wizard of Oz is set in Kansas. The Wizards play in Missouri. What is it, a joke? We're not in Kansas anymore? I'm on record that they should've called the team the Monarchs.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    that's pretty good.

Did you know that Nike wanted the Chicago Fire to be the Chicago Rhythm? Thankfully, we caught a break there.

But given MLS track record, a part of me is really worried that the Chivas team will be called something like the San Diego Salsa or something horrific. I hope the league has moved past those sorts of nicknames... but I still worry a bit.

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think a team should be called the Rowdies.

11. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Alot of NYer's want Empire FC, or SC.
    I'm not sure what team names I would like, but I know what I wouldn't like.
    Sockers
    Kickers
    Kixx
    Ballers

12. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Just happened upon this thread by accident but, since you're on the subject of NY team names how
    about:

Excelsior FC or NY Excelsiors

Atlantic FC or NY Atlantics

Actually these names are rip-offs of old school baseball teams in the NY area from the 1870s; so they're historically New York, yet unusued and largely forgotten by the public.

13. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    The Wednesday Strollers is where Sheffield Wednesday FC gets its name.

In that same tradition any team from the big easy would have to be called "The Wednesday (from ash Wednesday) Stragglers" or for a more mundane reference "The Saturday Stumblers" :D

14. xs220

xs220 New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    nyc
    How can we have a league without the Cosmo's?!!
    There has never been such a great team in the Americas (& perhaps the world) and it was ours. The MLS must bring them back (although it would be wierd if the team played anywhere other than the NY metro area).

15. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm in favor of Chivas..

But only if they sign John Spencer and play in kilts.

16. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that might be a bit of a stretch in this country, but we could steal a few names from the FA: hammers, arsenal, gunners.

as for n'awlins, i'd like a name like the New Orleans Crescents, since it's the crescent city. the key would be to draw from a traditional theme while also keeping the name either classy or stylish and relevant -- seattle sounders/seattle emeralds, tulsa roughnecks. dallas burn is neither classy nor stylish. hershey (Pa.) squirts would rank way high on style points, but probably too lowbrow to consider.

i grew up in san diego and always thought the name sockers was silly, even as a seven-year-old. i guess most of the original MLS teams were concocted by the marketing gurus at nike. i'm optimistic that MLS club names will be more appropriate and respectable in the future.

17. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    How did you come up with that? I thought of that name a while back, but never mentioned it because I thought people would say I was nuts. I love it.

As for the Cosmos, I've often said that that's setting the bar a little high.

18. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before and I'm saying it again, Detroit should be the Motown Wanderers and an expansion Texas team should be Red Star San Antonio.

19. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salsa would be bad for two reason. The salsa dance is more latin-caribbean in origin. And I wouldn't want to play for a team named "Sauce". :) Of course, the old LA APSL team was called the Salsa.

An expansion team in Pittsburgh could be called the Ketchup. And MLS becomes Major League Sauces.

- Paul

20. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJ MetroStars
    N.E. Revs(Revolution)
    Columbus Crew (they just need a new logo)
    Chicago FIRE (Just add FC to the logo so it makes it seem like an FD)
    DC United

LA Galaxy (don't like name that much, but I'm kinda use to it already. Just change the logo and stick 1996 on it)
    SanJose EarthQuakes (nothing wrong with this name if you compare it to other sports teams names like Hurricanes or Heat)
    KC Wizards (dont like it all. How about KC Knights or KC Monarchs?)
    Dallas Burn (probably the worst name of all MLS Clubs. How bout Mustang or Stallions.
    Clolorado Rapids (okay I guess)

Future MLS Clubs

New York Emperors
    Philadelphia Federals, Generals
    Miami Fusion
    Atlanta Rednecks
    Cleveland Bulldogs
    San Diego Chivas
    San Francisco EarthQuakes
    St Louis Bushes
    Milwakee Kegs
    Houston Toros

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That would make for a heck of a weird derby, wouldn't it? Not only having two MLS teams within 50 miles of each other, but them both having the same team name as well? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I suppose that in a San Jose Earthquakes vs. San Francisco Earthquakes game, though, the Quakes would never lose... right? :p

-G

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem with these two names, is that they both have already been used by teams, and it might be hard to get the naming rights, if the rights are still being used. The Monarchs were an old Negro league team that played in KC, and the Royals always seem to have at least one sometimes two or more games where they wear old Monarchs jerseys, so MLS might have to go through that to get rights, which I think would just be a hassle. The Knights are/were(not sure if they still exist) a minor league basketball team that played(s) in KC so it'd be weird having two teams with that name in the same city.

23. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I knew, somehow, that this would appear here. Too funny! :) Brown unis, right?

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    All the rednecks are gone. They've been replaced by Yankee road ragers. :D

25. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Man, that's so true. I heard this crazy study that found Mississippians would wait through an entire cycle at the traffic light before honking their horns, i.e. light is red, light turns green, light turns yellow, light turns red, light turns green, honk. In San Francisco, they honk before the light turns green.

I can't imagine that anyone still owns the rights to "K.C Monarchs," but if you're saying that it's known as a baseball name and would be a bad brand name for a soccer team, that's a good point. I've always believed that there should be a team in Kansas City called the "Monarchs." Heck, the Royals should've been named the Monarchs. I'm going to paint myself as a baseball fan, but how about the Kansas City Blues? That was the other team that played at Municipal Stadium in the same era as the Monarchs. Are there a lot of St. Louis Blues fans in Western Missouri? Am I asking for trouble?