New system with Dzeko

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by acleansheet, Jan 11, 2011.

1. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll start off by saying that I'm very excited that Dzeko's come to the club. We've finally got a clinical frontman that'll stay up. (Tevez draws deep leaving nobody up front) He was the leading scorer in the Bundesliga last season. So obviously this will change Mancini's system. There's no formation or style of play that Mancini sticks to every game, because he's not that type of manager (as stated in a previous thread). So what's the general formation going to look like?

I say:
    Tevez
    Dzeko-Toure Yaya-Silva
    Dejong--Barry

Mancini still sticks with the 2 def mids. As Tevez pulls back, Dzeko plays a cut-in style much like David Villa. I really like this style Mancini has implemented. 2 def mids really stabilize defense and the four up front really allow for great triangle football with the full backs.

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Villa and Dzeko are very different types of players. I'm actually thinking we could move to a very attacking, albiet broken team.

- Dzeko
    - Balotelli - Tevez - Silva

- De Jong - Toure​

Thoughts?

3. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure about changing a system that is working in the middle of the season. We could experiment with different things but Mancini has a system in place that, when the right players are available, we can defend and attack well. The system is very reliant on Silva though and we have no backup for him (though Michael Johnson returns tonight in the reserve game!).

I think when Dzeko plays it will be in a three with Tevez out left (Balotelli on bench) and Silva free roaming as always. Rotation will be constant but I think the 4-3-3 system we have has been working well with De Jong, Barry (or Milner) and Yaya Toure behind the front three, as Toure pushed forward and Barry has been more ambitious moving forward lately. Of course, Johnson is also in and out as he and Silva seem to rotate a fair bit even though they are different players.

I do think that uber attacking formation you posted could be done though, it'd just need some experimenting and we could leak as many goals as we score, much like we did under Hughes. :D

4. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I would like to see Dzeko as the target man and have Silva and Tevez behind him, running at defenders and creating chances. Tevez already drop really deep in games so no sense not to put Dzeko in front of him. Dzeko can create space and shoot hard so having two guys who can create magic behind him could lead to a lot of goals.

So basically the ancelotti christmas tree

Dzeko
    Tevez Silva
    NDJ Barry Yaya
    LB CD CD RB
    GK

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^I can see Mancini going with that.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I got to see Dzeko alot in matches as I watch a lot of Bundesliga matches with My Dortmund support and for the heck of me, I can't remember what sort of set up Wolfsburg had up front as I don't think Dzeko was set up as a lone frontman. I can't remember if it was 4-3-3 or 4-4-2

7. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think Dzeko had a pretty good partner in Grafite at wolfsburg. i think it was a 4-4-2 but not 100% sure.

8. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    There have been times when Dzeko played alongside Grafite (title winning year) and then the following year Dzeko played often as the lone striker. Basically either or he can play. He can play on the left or on the right, he's good with both feet.

9. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

the other key for them in that pairing was that one attacking midfielder that they had who ended up leaving last season for one of the Istanbul based clubs. I think they missed him a lot.

The thought of Silva setting up Dzeko, Tevez, and the young Italian is mouth watering if it works out well.

10. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    yeah, Misimovic. He broke the Bundesliga's record for assists with 21 I believe that year, mostly to Dzeko and Grafite of course, who also broke the Bundesligas record for most goals by a striking duo in a season with 54.

11. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

thanks, I knew who I was thinking of but didn't want to try spelling his name. :p

12. Junior Blue

Junior Blue New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I think we'll see a different Dzeko from the goalscorer we saw in Germany. I've covered Dzeko in my blog today and it's proven quite popular, feel free to take a browese.