New start at Sturm Graz

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Schwarzweiss, May 31, 2003.

1. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    After that scandalous season, where the blackies from Graz finished on 6th position, Club president Hannes Kartnig now wants to pull the consequences.
    At first, Coach Franco Foda is going to be fired, possibilties for a new head coach are:

- Gilbert Gress (61 years old, Swiss)
    - Joachim Löw (German, last at FC Tirol)
    - Klaus Toppmöller (German, last station was Bayer Leverkusen)
    - Frank Pagelsdorf (German, last club: HSV)

Other consequences could be that the players Masudi, Weber, Amoah, Badia, Golemac, Korsos, Rojas and Bosnar could get fired...

Maybe star player Ivica Vastic will return, if not, Sturm (maybe) is in contact with Thomas Hässler, world champion of 1990.
    Also tyrolian defender Michael Baur could join the styrian squad.

So that's pretty much i'd say...

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't know...
    It seems to me Hannes Kartnig is overreacting (like he often does). A new coach seems like a good idea, but getting rid of that many players seems somewhat foolish to me. I really don't know what happened to Amoah in Graz, he used to be such a good player in the Swiss NLA. Hell, he was the main reason FC St. Gallen eliminated Chelsea in the Uefa Cup that year. Masudi on the other hand did well once he went to Austria. Masudi was a nobody when he was with Lausanne-Sports...

About the possible coaches you listed, I would go with Gilbert Gress. Joachim Löw would have been the best option since he knows Austrian football, but it seems Austria Wien already took him. I would not sign a german coach like Toppmoller or Pagelsdorf. As the example of Daum illustrated, coaches from the Bundesliga don't quite know the limits of clubs in small countries. Gilbert Gress coached many years in the NLA and knows how to accomplish much with very little, so he would be my choice.

PS: Signing aging stars like Vastic or Hassler should not be the answer.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bad idea if they expect much from them. Go the youth route instead.

4. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    At the moment we are going the young way. Short summary about our biggest talents:

- Jürgen Säumel (19 years old, Midfield): He could be the new captain. With 19 years he's so much better than other players with over 100 games in Bundesliga...

- Klaus Salmutter (19, ofensive Midfield): He loves to play behind the strikers. His best position is right between midfield and the strikers. He can give deadly passes from everywhere.

- Ekrem Dag (22, Midfield): That guy who was actually born in turkey is very good for the left or right midfield. Barely loses 1-1 fights.

- Christian Gratzei (20, Goalkeeper): Made the breakthrough this season because our other 2 keepers are real jackasses. Unfortunately he injured himself at an away game at FC Kärnten. We are really missing him in goal.

- Herbert Rauter (20, striker): Also a very well player. He scored his first goal at his first game (he was brought on as a substitution), which was a very important one.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those guys are Austrian?

6. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    Well, only Ekrem Dag is not...

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed Säumel is listed on the Austrian U-19 team that qualified for the European Championships. The others are probably too old...

8. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    Quaker

Säumel is the best of them by far. He is a traditional number 10. Could be our captain in future...

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Any news on the coaching situation?

10. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    No, unfortunately not...

But it seems like Ivica Vastic had signed a contract at Austria Wien!

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Gilbert Gress was named new Sturm coach today...

As already stated, a good choice in my opinion.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)