New Stadium Size (18k?)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Heist, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ideally, we want 18,000 to 27,000-seat stadiums in MLS," said Garber. "That's the appropriate size. But we'd rather be closer to 18,000 because of the intimacy those stadiums have."
    From this article about Vancouver:
    http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/story.html?id=4db679a1-f503-4b12-95ec-6b7605145e46&k=42608

I think its a little shortsighted to build closer to 18K. What does Garber know that I don't? Probably a lot... but I think its a little small.Maybe 18K is enough in some markets, but lots of markets can handle more, even expansion markets like Toronto or the may places where the average is around 17k or 18k. Perhaps in KC or San Jose 18K is enough but in DC or LA or NY or New England (hopefully by some point they'll need a bigger one)

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    supply and demand economics. right now, MLS can draw NHL/NBA numbers but can't charge premium ticket prices or count on the season ticket or game presale tickets the way the other two leagues do.

3. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    well, according to the quote he does say 18,000-27000.
    and then he says "closer to 18" which does not imply all new stadia should be 18,000.

so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is ;)

he gives a lot of leeway there for different circumstances of teams.

4. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Garber is thinking that you first guarantee sellouts for your 18k for a couple of years. Generate ticket scarcity and make people feel special that they managed to get a ticket to the game. Ensure that the stadiums will have that "this place is packed" feeling that comes from a good sellout.

Then, you build up a waiting list of 2k-3k season ticket holders, and expand the stadiums by 5k-6k. IMO, it's better to start small and build on 5k in capacity every 10 years or so, then to overestimate and cheapen your product.

Granted some markets should start at the 22-25k range right now.

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18,000 and only say, 12,000 shows up won't look that sparse on TV compared to now. Could it be MLS downsizing the stadiums a bit? A bit of irony as Garber mentions about intimacy of stadiums, yet the stadia in Seattle, New England, etc.:confused:

6. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go learn yourself on commodity sales and marketing. ya heard?

7. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in Seattle they saw Roth and Allen as owners that are too good to pass up, the stadium situation be damned. Although MLS isn't as desperate for investors as they used to be 7-10 years ago, the situation is not that good to be extremely picky.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think Seattle and Philly are showing just how focused on getting into all but one of the top 10 tv markets. And Seattle reverberates all the way down to southern Oregon and out to Idaho.

9. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Yeah I don't get it. St. Louis is regarded and hyped up as Soccer City U.S.A. yet they only plan to build an 18,500 seat stadium. Why wouldn't they go in the low to mid 20's? Hope it's expandable.

10. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    What about you guys? Getting 30K for the playoff games I hope you guys build a 30K stadium. You think they'll build it that big?

11. fclalala

fclalala New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Beloit, WI
    St. Louis is a smaller metro area than some.

For instance:
    Dallas - 6.0 million
    Toronto - 5.9 million
    Houston - 5.5 million
    D.C. Area - 5.2 million
    Boston - 4.4 million
    St. Louis - 2.8 million

I think it's a great idea to build a smaller stadium if the economics are right and then expand from there. I think most of this is driven by Toronto F.C.'s success and other owners are trying to follow that plan of starting small, build demand, add on.

12. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since only a few teams actually average more than 18K I don't think it is that conservative for them to build an 18K stadium. They are basically just estimating a bit above the MLS average, which isn't a bad way to start a franchise and stadium. At least the potential for sellouts and great atmosphere would be greater in 18K than it would be for 22K. I'm not saying they couldn't sell out 22K. I havent done the market research, but I think it is safe to assume that building around the league average is a safe way to do it. I have to assume it can be expanded, but I have been wrong before.

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Garber was speaking more to the current politics of the Whitecaps getting to build a stadium than to his preferred MLS stadium size.

From the linked article:

They can use a potential for MLS membership as leverage. If Garber had come out saying that the preferred size was 20,000 to 25,000, part of that leverage would have disappeared.

14. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Okay, but Salt Lake Cities population is like 179,000 and they have pretty good attendance. Lotta games around 16k in that dump of a stadium

15. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Right, but you gotta think about growth. Again, hope it's expandable.

16. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I'm just assuming that there is growth built into the plans.

17. fclalala

fclalala New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Beloit, WI
    The metro area of Salt Lake is around 1.1 million, and they don't have to compete with the one of baseball's most historic franchises in the summer. The AAA Salt Lake Bees average about 6,500 people a game whereas the Cards average over 48,000.

I'm not saying that a St. Louis franchise couldn't fill a 25K stadium, I just think it's smarter to start at a baseline and be prepared to add on in the future.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right.

Houston, on the other hand (with the larger population) will obviously build a stadium with more than 18K capacity. But still probably only around 20K. Yes, they drew 30K for the playoffs, but have only averaged just under 16K this year. Teams only get a couple playoff games a year at most. No reason to build for 30K.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We've been debating this a bit on the Quakes forum. I think it's a pretty good strategy as long as they build in the capability to expand as needed. I don't want it to turn into a thing where tickets are really hard to get and really expensive, and the crowd is there mostly to provide a nice atmosphere for the TV audience (and I'm typically reduced to being a member of the TV audience for "my team's" matches).

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if MLS goes the way we hope it does, one day that might happen.

But I wouldn't expect it for a looooooooooooong time. It's quite a difference between 18,000 and 60,000. And with all the entertainment opportunities we have in this country (and they keep growing) I would be surprised if it ever reaches that point.

In fact, I think it's more likely that MLB and NFL will downsize before MLS reaches MLB/NFL size demands.

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not talking about 60k, I'm talking about 25-30k from 18k. And this could be 10-20 years down the road. But given a growing population and the miniscule market penetration soccer has in this country relative to potential, I don't think it's out of the question at all to think that a 25-30k stadium could routinely sell out (and I mean really sell out, not what we have today in an "HDC sellout").

22. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Agreed.

BTW, there's no MLS in Baltimore (and most likely never will be), so it's appropriate to use the population of the official Combined Statistical Area for MLS purposes.

Yeah, I can see how it's appropriate for some markets to build 18,000 - 20,000. Population is only part of the equation - you've also got to consider other factors, like stadium location and how strong a presence soccer has in the market (Toronto had no history in MLS, but is a massive market with a large base of soccer fans). For example (and believe me, this is a hypothetical), a new Revs SSS built next to Gillette would probably be better built in the low 20s, while a new Revs SSS in or much closer to Boston (and on the T) should probably seat closer to 30K, since it's likely to draw more fans based on its more central location.

23. KeeperDad30

KeeperDad30 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was designed to be. The roof can be raised and an upper deck can be added to the stadium.

24. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I believe most SSS's in this country are expandable, there are other options too that would help meet a potential increased demand for soccer:

-play more games (Should be simple enough to lengthen the season or play more friendlies.) The extra matches will make more soccer tickets available to the interested public.

-in an extreme case, add an extra team (like Chivas USA, or the rumors we hear every now and then about a second team in Chicago)

In general, it's going to be a lot cheaper to simply play an extra 3 or 4 home games each year than it is to actually expand a stadium.

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another option is to play bigger games at (usually readily available) larger NFL or college stadiums nearby if need be.