New soccer show on ESPN?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by type_32, Sep 6, 2002.

1. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
  2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it's not "Guess who rioted this week?", I will look forward to it....

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I believe this is just for ESPN International audiences...

4. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    That's what I thought as first, but Bergin definitely said "US TV". Perhaps it will be a 2am sort of thing in the US.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he meant "US-made" tvs exported to other parts of the world...

...o yea, we don't make tvs any more.

Let's just say I remain skeptical.

6. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do I. Who is this Eddie Mighten fellow?

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Used to work with Mike Hill (I believe) on the La Liga broadcasts for ESPN back when they had the rights to La Liga.

I thought he was pretty decent, always wondered why we never heard more from him.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    World Wide Soccer

What happened to that one show called World Wide Soccer? It normally aired on Mondays at 4:00 pm EST. I think it lasted aired in 2000?

It was pretty cool, with Rob Stone and Tommy Smyth. They had match summaries of MLS games, and also European games. Also some insiders with the USMNT and USWNT, as well as the Project 40 team.

9. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I believe the show being dicussed is called Press Pass . It will not be shown on domestic ESPN . It's hosted by Tommy Smyth and a round table of others . I saw some adverts for it on ESPN Pac Rim .

10. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Get a hold of yourselves, its not coming to the US. The show was on in NZ on Frid, it was terrific , I am told by friends. The show is hosted by JP Dellacamera, and includes Eddie Mighten and Tommy Smyth. The last two beat the daylights out of each other , on subjects of intrest. Mike Hill is also involved, dont know how, but he is.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any reason why they couldn't put this on domestic ESPN? There are no additional production costs, all they need to do is find a half hour slot. Put it on at 2.30 in the afternoon between NBA Finals and NFL's Greatest Games.

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why would they - when Worlds Strongest Woman would get twice the ratings.

13. Mutineer

Mutineer New Member

Jul 14, 2001
    "I'm Eddie Mighten, and welcome to the UEFA Champions League! "

:)

14. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Being that ESPN isn't a charity and this show wouldn't draw flies for ratings . Besides no one here on Bigsoccer would like it because it's focus wouldn't be on MLS . So the show would be labeled "Eurosnob" .

15. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Not to disagree but ESPN had a Jump Rope Championship on last night during prime time.

WTF, a quality soccer show couldn't do any worse than a Jump Rope Championship.

16. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You'd be surprised . Probably more people watched the Jump Rope Championship to see themselves than would watch Press Pass . Basically the audience would be You , Me and 3 other people .

17. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    You beat me to it. For a minute there, I was expecting some Vik's Vacant Lot re-runs.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As ESPN learned from the World Cup debacle, there is absolutely no audience for soccer in this country.

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    If I had post some other forum,like the USsoccerweek forum, I would get a red card.
    Bigsoccer just loves me.

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    YOu really want to compare the World Cup to a Soccer talk show ?

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I don't know. It kind of depends on who's jumping rope, y'know? If it was the jump rope championship match between the Man Show Juggies and the Playboy Playmates, then that program would easily get my viewership over Tommy Smyth. :D

JMac

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that there's an audience for this show, and I think that audience would bring in better demographics than their repeats of Finland's Most Brutal Man competition -- which essentially has a single sponser. And since the soccer show would allow them to show commercials (which they can't do during actual matches) aimed at that demographic, then they might want to at least consider it, even if they put it at 5 in the morning.

You might bring up the MLS Extra Time example as a counter-argument, but given that the production values on that show were barely up to public access standards, I don't think it would be quite the same.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, put it on ESPN.COM as a streaming download program.

24. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ok , for the record I would love to be able to watch the show ( don't ask how I got to see ESPN Pac Rim's coverage of the Dundee Derby where I saw the adverts ) . No doubt there would be alot of people who would watch the show ( I was being a bit cheeky with my "You, Me and 3 other guys" comment ) . That's why you see bars in NYC packed at 7 AM to watch Rangers v Celtic . The problem being that ESPN executives don't believe the market is big enough to put the show on here . They feel they've already tried a soccer talk show and it failed miserably here , why waste effort on another one . BTW there are quite a few soccer programs on ESPN international that I would love to watch . Namely Derek Rae's Scottish League show .

25. PrekiIsGOD

PrekiIsGOD Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Kansas City
    Think..the only reason that was on and the only reason was it was against Monday Night Football. ESPN would not put anything of value against MNF, especially since both are owned by Disney and hold various NFL rights.

Unfortunately the days of soccer on US TV are numbered, save the odd one-off events. Of course, these will draw no audience, so it will always be back to the World's Strongest Idiot or some other freak show.