New Shirt (fan designs & ideas)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by jayjayo10, Nov 15, 2003.

1. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Wow that's really good. I would vote that the best crest in the MLS.

2. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    revs' jerseys

If you go to colours-of-football.com they have the new kits up there. They are boring as hell. Ithink this is too bad because the revs are the team 9in need of an identity more than any team. I was hoping for a blue version of celtic's hoops

3. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    How's this for a starter? Just put "Revolution" on it. Now on sale at Sears for $6.99 (boys sizes only).

[​IMG]

4. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Thanks all.

<bows humbly>

I took the St George's cross w/ pine tree from the NE flag, along with the 6 stars in a circle for the 6 states. I'd love to see that on the left breast, with "New England" across the chest of a blue jersey set off with white shorts and red socks.

5. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    New Crest

Well done NewEnglander! It's really fantastic.

Now the question is: What can we do to actually get it on the uniforms? Unless our GM lurks on the boards, we have to get it out to the people and build some support for it.

Maybe make a banner to hang at the games?

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: revs' jerseys

[​IMG]

Colours of Football- USA page 3

7. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Great job on the shield. Here's a brightened up version. Hope you don't mind.

[​IMG]

8. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Cool, wow that looks awesoome.

I did send it to Jonathan Kraft, and I received a form letter reply thanking me for my interest in the franchise. I'm sure it was round filed and dismissed.

I agree the kits are dullsville as shown above. What's the aversion to contrasting shorts?

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me do a bit of work on that crest this afternoon in Photoshop. Should be able to sharpen it further and really boost the "wow" factor.

10. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Go for it by all means. Keen to see it.

11. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Put a soccerball in the center of those stars and the Revs would have the best MLS logo this side of Chicago.

12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I forgot to add that I'd rather see a collar as opposed to the crew neck style jersey.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Cleaned it up a bit and made a bit of a frame for it. How's it look?

[​IMG]

Once again, great design.

The Magpie

14. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Awesome. I can picture it flying over the entrance ot our new stadium on the Fan Pier...

15. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a suggestion. Go the cafepress.com route for now. The crest (which is awesome btw) isn't copyrighted, so get T-Shirts made with it on and start wearing it to games. Send free T-Shirts to different people in the front office. That might get their attention more than just an e-mail. And when other fans see you wearing them and ask about it, tell them to e-mail the team about it and tell them how they can get one from cafepress.com.

Do something like the Charlotte Eagles (PSL, formerly A-League). Make one T-Shirt with the crest large on the front and another one with the crest small over the heart. Something like these which the Charlotte Eagles sell via cafepress.com (just imagine it with your crest):

[​IMG]
    http://www.cafeshops.com/charlotteeagles.7432480

[​IMG]
    http://www.cafeshops.com/charlotteeagles.7964621
    (except move crest to the side)

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want one now!

===
    How about a Blackburn Rovers style shirt - with the half block design.

That would look very cool.

17. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Weasel: here's some free legal advice. The copyright in the shield design vested in the creator of the design as soon as he put the design on paper. The copyright may not be registered yet, but the copyright is in being, and any unauthorized copying of the design is an infringement of the copyright. The copyright owner must register the copyright in the design before he can sue, but once he registers he can stop any further infringement and can recover monetarily from the infringer.

Your friend, JohnnyRev.

18. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Put me down for two.

:)

19. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the legal advice :rolleyes:, but I think you miss my point. Maybe lighten up a bit and give me the benefit of the doubt. When I said it wasn't copyrighted (sorry I wasn't being legally accurate, I was just posting on BigSoccer) I meant that it's not like an official team logo which you can not use when making T-Shirts on cafepress.com or some similar web outfit. That was the distinction I meant to make. I meant to suggest that NewEnglander, as the creator of the crest, can use the crest however he wants. He (or anyone else he wants to help him) could make T-Shirts with his crest on it.

If the team would actually decide to adopt the crest, naturally they would want to obtain the copyright, but until such time, NewEnglander as creator of the crest (and anyone else he gives permission to) can use the crest on T-Shirts and the like.

That was my point. I wasn't suggesting that someone/anyone should "steal" NewEnglander's crest and do with it as they want. And I wasn't suggesting this as a way to make money either off selling the T-Shirts (tho' that would be fine too . . . for NewEnglander, that is.).

It was merely a suggestion--one idea of how to maybe create a grassroots campaign to get the team to adopt the crest.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That crest is absoluetley fantastic. I agree with the other suggestion, put a soccer ball in the middle of the stars, and then it will be complete. Get that logo copyrighted, and present some t-shirts to the Revs management. This would be hands down one of the best logos in all MLS, maybe even all sports in America.

IMO from a Metro supporter.....

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me try putting in a ball tomorrow when I stop by the office.

The Magpie

22. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Lighten up? The law is not for "lightening up." :}

Anyway, one other possible problem. To the extent that use of that shield would cause confusion, mistake, or deception of the public as to the source or sponsorship of the goods -- i.e., people would think that the goods emanate from or are sponsored or approved by the Revs -- you then have possible trademark infringement. Making one or two for personal use would probably be ignored, but any "mass" production might lead to trouble.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

I think the logo is great.

23. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Love the crest.

I'd buy a shirt for games.

One little note: the N/E is a little confusing when you first look at it. Maybe that's okay. Just thought I'd point it out.

24. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no parade here to be rained on. But so much for brainstorming, I guess. Nicely mentioning some things to keep in mind probably would have sufficed; I didn't need a know-it-all lecture. I regret making the suggestion. Really I do.

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, becuase the attention should go to the wonderful crest design, so that's the last out of me.

25. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    As I borrowed the top half from the NE flag, I wonder if it really matters (can anyone copyright a flag?). Either way, I'd be tickled to see it on a t-shirt, and I have no problem with others using it. It isn't a money issue, it's a desire to feel some kinship with our club and see them in a proper, grown up non-Mickey Mouse kit. Go for it!