New Seattle article

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by gyr0, Nov 25, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

I am just writing to congratulate you on your new team and direct you to an interview I recently conducted with Adrian Hanauer. Some interesting tidbits, so feel free to give it a look.

I am also doing a piece on fan reaction to MLS in Seattle and the prospect of keeping the Sounders identity. Any interested parties feel free to post here and/or email ckrelations@yahoo.com

Chris
    Editor
    Game Day MLS
    http://gamedaymls.blogspot.com/

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hanauer talks about wanting to do something "huge and new" regarding the brand. With nearly 8,000 season ticket deposits to date, the "huge and new" seems to be the coming of MLS to Seattle. For the brand, how about honoring the "history and tradition" of soccer in Seattle.

3. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris, it's called USL-1 and the Sounders beat the Silverbacks. Is it possible to get that piece ammended with the correct information?

Also, it's Qwest, not QWest.

4. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the quotes are wrong like the Sounders beating the Atlanta Ruckus. Adriann sounds convinced of changing the name.

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Well, the Sounders did beat the Ruckus in the final; 12 years ago :D.

Perhaps someone might impress upon our man Hanauer that if he "leans toward a new brand," he may be also leaning toward four-figure attendance. Make sure he understands the ramifications of making his team's fanbase mad. We don't have that problem in ATL (well, yet, anyway), and the Silverbacks don't have the history that the Sounders do. So, if MLS comes here, they could name the team "Shredded Wheat" and people would only get mad because it's a stupid name, not because it's a stupid name, and they're doing away with 33 years of soccer history. Good luck guys; we're cheering for you.

6. apostlejohn

apostlejohn New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Wow. I very much doubt that there would be any significant drop if the team weren't named Sounders. And it's more like 23 years once you account for the lack of continuity.

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    True, that. But the Sounders have a much better legacy than the Chiefs/Apollos and Chiefs 2.0 have, even with the gap.

8. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hanauer said he didn't want to bump up the Sounders to MLS and add a few players. That's exactly what I was hoping for. The Sounders could probably compete in MLS without adding players as seen in the 5-0 (if I remember correctly) thumping of Colorado in the USOC.

I voted for keeping the Sounders name and sent an email to the organization. I mean, they went back to the Earthquakes in SJ and those fans loved it. I don't know why we want to throw away what little tradition we have in American soccer. Hopefully he'll at least keep the colors and at least some of the players.

9. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen.