NEW PL TV CONTRACT

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1 Red Bird, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Didn't want to clog the forum with yet another thread but mod please move if needed.

New TV deal points to less money being paid by SkySports and BT. Ad the hanging threat of the tech giants hasn't materialised, yet ... The least attractive packages aren't going to make up the £600 million to the current deal, surely, are they?

Sky win packages B, C, D and E
    A big win for Sky Sports.

This means they will be broadcasting 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30, 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00, eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45 and 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30.

BT win Package A
    This means BT Sport have won the rights to broadcast 32 matches on Saturday’s at 12.30.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the international rights are still going to be enormous - but the domestic money from TV may be seeing its last hurrah.

3. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how long it will be before the PL just sells the majority of games directly with their own streaming service.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My suspicion is very soon.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    disagree - it will happen but not for a while yet. I'd say 3 or more years out. maybe 5. streaming simply isn't reliable enough for too many people.

6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is there will be some sort of middle ground in the near future, but I agree broadcast deals will likely remain in place for a while. It leaves out causal fans/viewers and limits their ability to attract new fans. Also, not sure how the math would work out.

Take the NBC contract, which is about $1B for 6 seasons through 21-22. That is about $160m/season. Assume their average viewership (450K) all buy $5/mth subscriptions, for a 9 month season that is only $20M. That is a lot advertising dollars the PL would have to make up in the US.

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The sharing of the international rights, equally shared at the moment, may be revisited. And if the other 14 refuse to compromise, could there be another breakaway division?

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They usually nip this in the bud by changing the CL rules to allow more big teams to be consistently in the competition. Now 4th goes straight into the group stage. The next step is probably for 5th and 6th to get into qualify stages.