*new* P-40's

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i know we gotta wait until after the college season (for the larger part)... but when do we see the first new p-40's sign???

2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think as soon as college teams seasons start ending. The Brandenton kids will come later, as they've got a bit more leverage.

U Michigan's Knox Cameron may be one of the first.

Although UNC's is still in the hunt, Jamie Watson has made it known he's going P-40 after this season.

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Unless MLS somehow changes the criteria for P40, I don't think Cameron will be part of that program.

Cameron is a senior. P40 is for underclassmen and HS kids. There have been exceptions in the past, but those circumstances were unique and I don't think Cameron has a reason to be P40.

That said, I do expect him to go very high in the draft, maybe even the first senior taken.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't thing graduating seniors have ever been part of p40. Some do sign with MLS before the draft, sometimes for more than the league miniumum (Noonan, Wingert, etc.). Usually a press release in late Dee or early Jan. Most likely in Jan. Probably right before the draft. Now that the draft is happening earlier (in early Jan), expect the signings to happen obviously after the college season and before the draft. Sometimes they're announced in 2-3 groups. MLS tends to sign the sure bets right away. Then some others might be signed right after the combine.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    what about some of te last U17 and U18 cycle? I know Watson has already been mentioned but what about the likes of Corey Ashe and Rod Hidalgo and Jiminez down in South Florida?

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There are some exceptions to this, though they weren't recent.

Maurizio Rocha was signed to a P40 deal after his senior season at UConn. He played for the Fusion and washed out soon thereafter. This was before MLS had transitional and junior international slots and the league was afraid Rocha, who was Bolivian, would get an MLS team to use a foreign slot on him so they created roster-exemption for him by making him P40.

Something similar happened when MLS signed Sergi Daniv, a Ukranian from Wake Forest, to a P40 deal.

Also, goalkeepers Scott Vallow and Matt Nyman were signed after their senior seasons at Bowling Green and Dartmouth, respectively. This was back when MLS has a P40 team competing in the A-League and they were worried the team wouldn't have any GKs so they signed a couple of kids with no more college eligibility, "assigned" them to MLS teams for which they never played and had them toil in the A-League for a couple of seasons as the keepers for the P40 team.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd take a look over on the US youth forum about the u-20 team that just beat Mexico. Several 16 y/o's were called up cause of the college playoffs. There's probably some college players valued higher than some on that team though so don't forget them.

9. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    It's my understanding that Corey Ashe is going to stay and get an education at UNC. He will be there for at least 2 more years.

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i spoke with Hunter Freeman and he hasn't gotten a contract yet regarding pro-40. i guess MLS is waiting until ncaa tourney is over.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Doesn't p-40 pay for college also. The youngest kid who could go might be Preston Zimmerman, unless Fro decides to go.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping Ryan Pore out of Tulsa goes P-40, but I have no inside information. Has anyone ever considered trying to email these guys and ask them directly? Is that not kosher?

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a site put together by a Crew fan and BS poster, but don't hold that against him. It has a good list of underclassmen who might go P-40. I don't think he has any inside information.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Corey Ashe = poor man's Cobi Jones

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't think the NCAA likes players declaring they are going pro until their college season is over. As long as they don't sign anything, they may be ok and sometimes everyone generally knows they're going pro, but it makes it more difficult to find out now and we should start hearing rumors in a few weeks when college soccer is over.

16. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Agreed.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure once the college tourney is over we'll hear a lot more. I remember last year there were a lot of additions right before the combine.

18. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Second.

19. oldexpress

oldexpress New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    i heard tim ward from slu is trying to go p-40

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one of Ellinger's children who will want to play in SLC, maybe. He's had some good experience with the youth national teams. It wouldn't hurt him to stay in college one more year to bulk up a little, but seems like a good MLS prospect.

21. oldexpress

oldexpress New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    well he better start studying to get his grades up. why do you thing he wasn't down in florida with the u-20's since he was on the original roster. i also saw him play against indiana and his first thought is going forward. the only problem is he plays right back. by the way not all of ellingers guys make the grade to get to the next level

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    It helps if you quote the post you are referring to.

23. oldexpress

oldexpress New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    pvan4---sorry about that. i am new to the site for posting. i heard tim ward is going to try and come out. i think he should stay for another 2 years but with expansion this could be the time

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    check your private messages.

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you wouldn't take a 20 year old Cobi Jones?