New Morton Manager

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    No, not Paul Gascoigne or Richard Gough. It's Celtic youth coach Jim McInally. Interesting appoint. Obviously well thought out by the chairman:-

MORTON APPOINT NEW MANAGER
    After much time and deliberation I am pleased to tell you that we now have a new Manager. His name Jim McInally.
    Jim's career path has been as follows :-

1980-1984 Glasgow Celtic FC - Signed by Billy McNeil
    1984-1986 Transferred to Nottingham Forest - Signed by Brian Clough
    1986-1995 Transferred to Dundee United - Signed by Jim McLean
    Played 302 league games for `United
    Played in UEFA Cup Final 1987
    Played in Scottish Cup Final - 3 times on losing side and on the winning side in 1994.
    1995-1995 Player/ Coach/ Asst Manager Raith Rovers FC
    1995-1996 Player/ Coach/ Dundee Utd FC
    1996-1998 Player/ Coach Dundee FC
    1999-2000 Player/ Manager Sligo Rovers FC
    Total career appearances : 542 Matches including 35 in European Competition
    : 10 full International Caps
    2002-2004 Youth Development Coach Celtic FC

Jim's preparation for Management has been outstanding in that he has served under Billy McNeil, Brian Clough, Jim McLean and in the past two years Martin O'Neil, who has taken a personal interest in Jim's development.

Discussions with key people in football who have been involved with Jim during his career have informed me that he has the following qualities :-

1) Ability to spot players strengths and build on same
    2) A great encourager of players
    3) Above average ability in 'reading' a game during a match and the ability to spot and attack opponents' weaknesses.
    4) Calm and patient under pressure
    5) Great strength of character
    6) A players' Manager

Jim McInally has great connections within football which should be of great value to the Club in the months and years ahead. Several of his former charges have indicated that help or advice will be available to him by just asking for same.

The Board and I in particular would like to place on record our grateful thanks to Youth Manager, Joe McLaughlin for acting as Caretaker Manager in the period between John McCormack leaving and Jim McInally taking over the reins. I believe that with Joe, who has made a brilliant start as Youth Manager. and the arrival of Jim McInally we, at Morton, will have one of the best set-ups in the Scottish Football League.

I trust that our support consider that the time taken to appoint our new Manager has been worth the wait as we have acquired a man of very real experience and from whom we expect to benefit substantially in the future.

It is now up to all of us to get right behind our new Manager, our Youth Manager and all the playing staff as we endeavour to play ‘catch up’ in the race for the Second division title. If we apply patience and understanding then I am confident that the way ahead will be fruitful and successful.

We all have our individual part to play in the way forward. We can do it………. Together!

Yours aye

Douglas Rae
    CHAIRMAN

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    You're so lucky to have a chairman who is so open about decisions taken at the club and explains things like this to the fans voluntarily.

That post does make McInally sound like a good managerial prospect, suppose we'll have to wait and see.;)

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Has he also turned into Gollum from Lord of the Rings......

"This name is good for us.......Paul dosen't suit us"

:D

4. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Poor guy has named himself after the start of a Glasgow postcode!

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Looks like a good appointment for Morton.