New Match Night Commentaries

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by tallguy, Oct 19, 2006.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to lay more doom and gloom on everybody, but here's today's commentaries from Ian Penderleith and Bill Urban over at MatchNight:

http://www.matchnight.com/?Page=PLENDERLEITH

http://www.matchnight.com/?Page=ARTICLE&articleid=19980

Penderleith speaks my mind -- one reason why it's so easy to get utterly seduced by soccer these days is the sport has some of the very best sportswriting out there anywhere. Penderleith, in particular, never ceases to amaze.

In the other commentary, on the other hand, Urban sets out in coherent form the angst and dread that folks on this board have been talking about for over a year now. Oh, the horror.

Well, ultimately ours is not to reason why . . . I think that the reason why I started this thread is to express my belief that our guys will need support from the stands if we're to get past the Red Bulls. Now, it's up to us to give it up for United in what has every indication of becoming a hard-fought down-to-the-wire opening playoff series with New York.

2. wcevery4yrs

wcevery4yrs New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Baltimore
    Well, both Penderleith and Urban make some good points here, particularly in the case of Ian Penderleith. However, they are obviously unaware that Matt Mathai will be wearing his lucky never-lose-at-home shirt for the playoffs, and my tarot cards have yet to predict what happens after we beat NY. ;)

Points well taken here, but the fat lady hasn't even come into the rehearsal hall, so let's not assume she's even scheduled to start singing. She maybe practicing her scales at home in the shower, but that doesn't count...

The way I look at it is--you need to be aware of what can happen, but the more doom-and-gloom is predicted, the more doom-and-gloom you're going to get. Self-fulfilling prophecies work *very* well, for better or for worse, and if the team goes in with a winning mindset without feeling desperate or cocky, that's a big help, along with healthy players and a good lineup. It all has to come together now, and it's gonna!

-Patricia

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Oh sure, pile on the pressure.

Now I don't know whether it should be the Gelnovatch, the Peay, or something else.

Perhaps it should be Norkus who gets a run out - the only way that name would ever sniff the playoffs...

Maybe my signed Donadoni Metros jersey (which I would hide under a Galinov 'pink' jersey as penance for wearing a Metros anything.)

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have an away Norkus, and that gets results - I can wear my home Norkus jersey on the 29th :D

5. human2006

human2006 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    No no, you can't do that! Things work oppositely for Matt. We lose when he drinks the Hypnotic.

6. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I can't wear DCU colors in NJ. I'll be on the sidelines. I have to pretend to be neutral.

7. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Wear the WIZ jersey!!!!:eek:

8. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Oh no. It has done its job and earned the right to rest peacefully.

9. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I don't understand, Matt - why? Is there really an expectation of impartiality on the part of someone who has a field pass to photograph the game? It's not like you're there in any official capacity.

10. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I've always been given to understand that you shouldn't wear one team's colors or the other's. It hasn't been told to me as an MLS rule or anything. In most stadiums you're given a violently fluorescent vest to wear to make absolutely sure you aren't mistaken for another player (in someone's peripheral vision, I guess.)

You don't have to be impartial - I'm not - but I think, at the least, it's poor decorum to be jumping around and cheering when your team scores.

11. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    You mean at an away game for your own safety it's wise not to do those things (specially considering that Hoffa is buried there).

Poor decorum is putting a Dook ad in the DC United jersey...

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *imagines jimmy hoffa's zombie spring up in midfield during the game and running to the sideline after MattMathai yelling.....braaaaaaaains..oh wait."