New Kits for 06 ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by kinstlinger, Jul 13, 2005.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    I'm assuming we'll be getting new Nike kits for Germany, right ?
    I liked the 2002 ones; a little torn on the '04 model.

2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Please, oh please. Something that says "USA" more distinctly than it says "Nike" (but that might be too much to hope for).

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume right.
    Most teams wear the uniforms for 2 year cycles.

4. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I kind of like the new ones. Though I would like to see more red on the kit and the circle around the number removed.

5. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they actually design an original jersey. I'm tired of seeing the total 90 template on 75% of the NT's in the world.

6. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hate the 2004 version jerseys...i think nike was thinking nu skool with an old school twist, but i dont like their look really...

but anything is better than those god-awful 1994 blue ones...

7. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I actually like those power blue jerseys. It was original and not like the typical soccer jersey. But it is either you love it or you hate it.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

very true...i actually liked the red striped ones with the red shorts...but they only wore those once

i just saw those blue ones as tacky for some reason....it fit the times...the team wasnt at a respect level yet

9. soccerstudly

soccerstudly Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Red Shirt
    White Shorts HOME
    Blue Socks

Blue shirt
    white shorts AWAY
    red socks

AND NO COOKIE CUTTER,
    BE original in the design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. HCDefence13

HCDefence13 Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I've seen a lot of people express their desire for an "original design" in the next set of kits...but it ain't happening with Nike. Adidas does a somewhat better job, but even then most of the jerseys are variations on the same base. In any case, I doubt the team really has much of a say. Otherwise, why would they have told Nike this time around, "Yeah, just give us what everyone else has".

I actually feel our current uniforms are a huge improvement over the 2002 versions. As long as we don't regress backwards I'll be satisfied.

11. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Yes, I much prefer to regress forwards. (Sorry, was raised in a cave by feral grammarians.)

12. Cruiseman

Cruiseman Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Where did the trend of putting circles around the number come from. There are a few national teams that do this, i.e. Mexico, Portugal.. At first I thought it was a directive from FIFA, but England national doesn't have them.

I don't really care for it.

13. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'd like to see America, F-Yeah! running all the way down both sleeves, and a HUGE American flag right across the chest....no numbers on the front, and required patchy facial hair all over the faces of each of our players.

Team America Style!

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well its just from Nike, they designed the same jersey kit style for several countries including

Brazil
    USA
    Holland
    Portugal
    S. Korea
    Mexico
    and i think more

15. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retarded.

All of the jerseys for a particular manufacturer will be the same or similar. It's called Brand building and marketing. McMarketing, standard practice for the major manufacturers.

The circles around the numbers are on all Nike Total 90 kits. England doesn't have this because Nike doesn't make their kits.

I'm am firmly in the camp that the current jerseys are worlds better than the World Cup 02 version. I HATED that crap.

16. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    how about those retro jersies with the red stripe?

17. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only tangentially related, but I wouldn't mind U.S. Soccer redesigning their crest as well. The streaking soccer ball is fit for a generic youth team logo. We can do better.

18. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I'm hoping for an all-red home kit.

19. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Nike is an American company, though. I don't know how much this matters, but I think if the growth and success of US soccer continues, a unique jersey isn't out of the question. But, it may be a money thing, it may come down to the USSF, or it may not be possible under Nike. It may take another brand. I don't know if Nike makes unique jerseys or not.

20. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I just wish they'd make replicas for children or even babies a onesy would be even better. Yes, I am a girl and have 2 small nephews.

21. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked both kits from '94 a lot. For whatever reason, the faux denim, the shooting stars, and the wavy stripes just worked for me. Best of all, they were truly unique. The ultimate objective should be to have a permanent visual identity, like Brazil, Italy, and Argentina. Even our buddies from across the Rio Grande have a basic look. It doesn't have to be shooting stars and wavy stripes, but where's ours?

22. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I add that white stars on red, paired with blue-and-white stripes, comes closest to looking like the flag of Cuba over every other flag in the world. [It could also work for, ahem, North Korea.] Of all places! If this is someone's idea of a subversive prank, I say they've had their fun, and it's time to return conventional USA motifs to the USSF badge. That shouldn't be so much to ask. Even just re-arranging the colors and keeping the design...

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ok, first of all, people forget that the USA has had a white home jersey for almost the entire history of the national team. (94 was the exception). The away jersey has been kind of all over the place, with the first two nike kits being red, and adidas having a blue kit before 94 IIRC. In other words, you WILL NOT see a red or blue home kit any time soon. White is the color of "tradition" for the US.

and asking for an original template for the US isnt going to happen, especially from nike. they certainly dont sell enough shirts to justify it, and nike already gives more money to USSoccer than it probably recieves from such a deal thru USA market sales and whatnot. With the exception of Cameroon, you simply arent going to find a country with an "original" national team shirt from any major manufacturer (and please dont say England, because you'd be wrong).

And as cartoony as the current USA badge is, it's still an improvement over the old one (the one still used by referees)

24. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    My favorite shirt over the years was the 94 WC striped version. Add blue shorts to that and that would be my preference. Would look just like the flag. Which would be cool IMHO.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Umbro is also in the business of cookie cutter kits. With the exception of a little blue, Norway's primary kits are exactly the same as England's red kits.

USSF logo is fine. The only change needed is the gold star above it for winning the World Cup.