new gomez contract

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Red&Black, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in line behind a guy getting some stuff signed by Christian - unfortunately my Spanish sucks, but I believe I heard tres anos - 3 years which would be brilliant

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hope he said tres años and not anos or he called the three guys in front of you a$$holes. :D

3. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I also remember the days when we could trot out a complete second team and STILL beat the opposition by 5 goals. (TB in a monsoon anyone?)

The league has changed quite a bit since then...

4. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it was because it was a playoff game (DC-NE), or becaus of Gomez, but there were 3 Argentinians sitting next to me who have only made it out to RFK during ChamionsWorld games. One commented that Gomez's team in Argentina played in the town where she had been born.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CHICO13 again.

6. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    This is indeed buenas noticias. Another thing to celebrate on the 17th!

Bouncing to continue... Gomez to continue... Chico buying me beers...
    Life isn't half bad these days!

7. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    What great news....where do I buy my Gomez jersey?? :D

8. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I started counting two weeks earlier when NE played us at RFK. You're right.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Edited your flashback. :)

Viva Gomito!! :D

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know his injury history? If he's the kind of guy who is relatively injury free, I see cause for concern, but it's a'ight. If he gets dinged fairly often...I dunno, $200K is alot for a player of his age and good-not-great skills. He's close to league max, you know.

Oh well.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Pablo as a central defender? Yeah, the Nats issue, but I think he could fill that role very nicely, and really facilitate the transition from defense to offense.

12. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Yeah, but how much do we have to give up to get Mastroeni?

13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we would lose Pablo for more games due to WCQ and Gold Cup than we lost Nelsen this season. Let's look for a full-time central defender. Having lost EZ in the expansion draft, and with Petke not yet in the fold, we don't want part-timers in the backfield.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not quite. More like we're paying him for a full season. And still $50K+ less than Stewart.

15. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Never thought of it that way.

16. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I have a coach who I constantly (jokingly) argued with over the quality of MLS compared to Argentina (his favorite league since he is Argentinian). He watched the Conference Final and was converted, partially because of the quality of the game but also because Gomez was there and scored. Actually, him and a lot of other people who told me they watched the Cup final too.

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine. Stewart's 2004 salary goes to Gomez, Namoff, and a little bit of Petke. But the lion's share goes to Gomito.

18. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland

Now ZGomez can trade in the olf ford explorer with one head light he had for something new..

19. Talion

Talion New Member

May 24, 2004
    VA
    Odd to think of it now but IIRC insomuch as Gomez' salary comes "from" anyone it is Cerritos.

20. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :rolleyes: ;)

Cant get anything past this bunch of jokers..

21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina is an expensive place to shop for talent because we won't be competing only with Argentine teams but with Serie A, La Liga, et. al., who recruit there. And these leagues generally pay their players on time, too!
    I would think you would have to be very careful that you were getting quality and not a second-tier player that has been scouted and rejected by Europe.

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    There were a lot of similar posts right before DC signed Gomez initially.

Nowak is smart enough not to pull the trigger until he's absolutely sure, so I'm going to go ahead and put a little trust in the man who just brought back our trophy.

23. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I talked with the team today. As with any transaction there is a cost. According to DCUnited the team spend "part of the Convey allocation money" on acquiring Gomez. Also, because I wasn't certain, the league/team owns Gomez now, it isn't a loan extension.

As for the rest of the allocation money the team said it feels "comfortable" with the position it is in to find another player. Obviously they wouldn't disclose the exact amount spent or remaining.

24. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Diceson, any word on Kasper's trip to Argentina or players he'll be scouting? If the team is comfortable with their buying power could this mean they have a specific player in mind? Thanks!

25. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Not alot to add to what is already known. As I understood it, DCUnited struck a good cord with the agency that controlled Gomez. They have some players they would like DK to look at, which is the purpose of the trip. No names or specifics were given.