new gomez contract

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Red&Black, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    D.C. United
    News Release
    For Immediate Release - December 2, 2004
    Boris Flores (202-587-5452)

D.C. United Signs Christian Gomez to New Contract

Attacking Midfielder to Remain with MLS Cup Champions

WASHINGTON, D.C. (December 2, 2004) - D.C. United announced today that the club has acquired the playing rights to Christian Gomez and signed the Argentine midfielder to a new contract. Per League and team policy, the terms of the deal were not disclosed. Gomez joined United on loan on August 14th, remaining a fixture in the Black-and-Red midfield the remainder of the 2004 season. The MLS Cup champions are 10-2-2 in all competitions since Gomez arrived in the Nations Capital.

“Re-signing Christian was a priority for our team this off-season,” said United President and CEO Kevin Payne. “It was clear that he had a tremendous impact on the field for our team and we look forward to an even more productive season from him in 2005.”

After making his first appearance against Columbus on August 21st, Gomez quickly found his footing, creating many dangerous chances in the attacking midfield. He scored four goals on the 2004 season, two of which were nominated for the Sierra Mist Goal of the Week. His two-goal performance against the MetroStars in the final game of the regular season propelled Gomez to his first honor as Player of the Week.

During his 13-year career in the Argentine First and Second Divisions prior to joining D.C. United, Gomez amassed 79 goals in 345 matches. He began his professional career during the 1991-92 season with Nueva Chicago in the Second Division (Serie B). In six seasons with Nueva Chicago, Gomez scored 46 goals in 155 games. In 1997, he joined First Division (Serie A) power Independiente of Avellaneda, totaling 12 goals in 80 appearances through the 1999-2000 season. During his stay at Independiente, Gomez made appearances for the “Rojos” in the Supercopa and Copa Mercosur tournaments.

Gomez also spent part of the 1999-2000 season with Argentinos Juniors, another top-flight club in Argentina’s Serie A. He returned to Serie B side Nueva Chicago for the 2000-01 campaign and helped the club gain promotion to the First Division for the 2001-02 season. He registered 14 goals in 63 matches during his second stint with Nueva Chicago.

For the 2002-03 season, Gomez re-joined Independiente and tallied one goal in 10 appearances before moving to First Division side Arsenal, his most recent club, where he tallied six goals in 30 games during the 2003-04 season.

2. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news indeed.

I dislike this policy.

3. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Ditto...

But as far as signing Christian.... [Mr Burns voice] Excellent.....

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This filled my stomach with laughter.

5. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Well - that lying ass Stephen Zack :)

At the equipment sale he said there might be information on Gomez tomorrow - hell, he was at the equipment sale I wish I had known to tell him congrats.

6. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ventilators and the equipment are pleased.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    he'd already blown the "big" secret so he had to keep something secret

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...as is the horseradish tree.

9. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great news! Our attack will remain strong in 2005, giving opposing defenders fits about who to mark and practically dictating our opponents to adopt a 4-4-2 formation (meaning our midfield possession game should tick along nicely).

Woo-hoo!

GM

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Geese people, this is huge.

12. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Geese people? Wow! I've never seen geese people, but I guess they must be huge! :D I myself personally prefer to use geez!!!! :D

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Someone hasn't been reading up on Christian Gomez's letters now, have they?

14. Talion

Talion New Member

May 24, 2004
    VA
    This is, of course, great news. If I'm not mistaken we now have all of our MLS Cup winning starting XI next year except Nelsen and Petke.

Questions:

1. Did we have to use an allocation to get this contract?

2. Where does that leave us in terms of resources for replacing Nelsen and (though hopefully not) Petke? Cap room should not be a problem yet with Nelson and Stewart going off the books, at least.

3. Is left wing really Adu's only option for cracking the starting XI barring injury/suspensions?

4. Will Christian Gomez ever pick up enough English to stop the babelfish "humor" around here?

I know everyone is sad to see Nelsen go, and rightly so, but all things considered it seems the team is staying remarkably intact. Not only is almost all of our starting line up in place we seem to have depth everywhere but defense (although it could be argued that Eskandarian is the only pure forward on the team...well him and Thompson).

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Earnie Stewart?

16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think KP mentioned earlier that signing Christian (does he really spell his first name with a ch?) would involve using an allocation. Maybe KP mentioned that in his online chat last week, I canna remember.

GM

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember KP saying it was going to be all or part of an allocation.

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing a new contract would be a good reason for Gomez to be around today. Well, that and it's likely the only place in town where he knows anybody.

19. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have Earnie. And what's the deal with Petke?

20. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke is currently out of contract. More accurately, his contract runs out on Dec 31.

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think this was the most important re-signing off the offseason (the most important one we had an actual shot at, I think anyone who thought Nelly was really going to stay was not thinking clearly)

Gomito!

22. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Most excellent, duuuuude!!!
    Mark

23. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Excellent! Gomito comes back to DC. Gotta love it!

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Most excellent news. Christians goal against NE in the playoffs still blows my mind. IMHO that's United's goal of the year.

25. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    No kidding. I love watching that one over and over again. Beautiful cross by Earnie, wonderul finish by Gomez. And the ROAR of the crowd after that one goes in!!! Oh the ROAR...