New Goff: Nelsen Won't Return to United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mcontento, Nov 17, 2004.

1. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sad to see You go Nellie, but we all knew it would come at some point. Thank you for everything you have done for, and given to us, and MLS.

You've done us all VERY PROUD, gotten to live a dream here, and restored glory to a very proud club. Best of luck in your future and may you live all your other dreams. I KNOW youll make all of MLS extremely proud!

2. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    And with BOTH Nellie and Earnie leaving, a fair amount of money to spend on one too since that's the only place we are now hurting (assuming we get to keep Gomez and nothing major happens Friday).

I think the silver lining to this is that we are probably in the best position we have ever been going into a new season as far as our current roster and extra money to fill it out/bulk it up.

I'd rather have Nellie though :(

-dave

3. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved telling people watching DC United for the first time that our central back was one of the best New Zealand players in the world, and that we have him because the European leagues hadn't discovered him yet. We'll have to keep up with his progress in England on our forum since Yanks Abroad won't cover him.

Good Luck, Nelsen, and thanks for playing here in DC.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Rongen drafted him the same year as Namoff. Say what you will about him as coach, but he has one hell of an eye for talent I would have loved to kept him involved with United, namly giving him Kasper's job.

As far as Nellie joining Convey, that would be a great buy for Reading in their attempt to get promoted.

5. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Thanks for the info, sch
    Mark

6. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    That really hurts. Ryan was one of the classiest players in the league. He really impressed me over the last several years. He will be missed.

7. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Thanks for all the memories Nellie! He always had time for fans- this summer I ran into him outside the movie theater in Georgetown and when he heard I was a fan he called Bryan Namoff over to talk to me too. Both guys chatted for a few minutes and thanked me for my support. As much as I hope MLS grows in leaps and bounds, I think some day we'll all look back and sort of miss the "good old days" when the players were so accessible.

You'll always have a home in DC!

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Nellie goes to the best club available. If Nellie goes to Arse and possibly shuts down RVN in the return match at Highbury...

9. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Such is the fate of a champion. Hopefully losing him and Stewart doesn't have the same effect on us that losing Boca and Beasley had on Chicago. Hopefully we can find a quality replacement in the offseason.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Have known about some specific offers for awhile now, but I was still somewhat optimistic. Honestly though, Nelsen's been frustrated with the structure of MLS before (see the "communism" quotes from the beginning of last year I believe) and so it's not surprising he wants to get out.

Hopefully United can beat around something for a good defensive leader to replace Nelly.

There is no way Pope is worth his max salary and United should stay away from that.

Also, please give Lowecifer some rep, I still need to spread a little.

11. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Hey here's another Premiership quality player who goes away on a free transfer. Way to go MLS!

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Care to share? Or at least give some hints?

13. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have taken the image, and will call a friend with a graphics business to see how much he will charge to print out the pic...say 3x5 feet....if i can get it done, i will bring it to the events and have it available for signing....then we can mail it to Nellie in care of his new club ....

I had the great fortune to be paired with Ryan in the DCU golf tournament.
    What a class guy! Fun to hang out with, and very patient with my less than atheletic abilities with a golf club. :rolleyes:
    I will always remember his reaction when I finally hit a decent drive on the seventeenth hole of the day... "About damn time" or some words like that..
    Ryan endured my fan adoration with great diplomacy and generous smiles...
    When I saw him at the airport Monday, i asked if he remembered me from that round of golf...indeed he did..with a smile no less...amazing...
    Tuesday when I asked for a photo op with the Barra shirt on...Ryan immediately put on the shirt and posed...completely willing to comply without any hesitation.
    Ryan Nelson is ;
    TRUELY A CLASS GUY

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING RYAN...DO US PROUD SIR

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It is a good shot, but I think it would be better if we found one that showed his face.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just making sure, but you did get permission from Andy first, right? I still think a shot with him facing the camera would be a better option.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Why do you blame MLS. Nelsen was also part of the decision.

17. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    As I understand it - no one came up with an offer that MLS felt was good
    enough. We won us the trophy - what the hell is your problem?

As for the picture - i think one of him holding the trophy would be much better. Help him remember exactly what he helped us to accomplish.

18. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland

I AGREE

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, we're not a premiership quality league yet and who knows when we will be. I agree with your sentiments, however. It's quite unfortunate to have to lose a player of Nelsen's caliber because MLS just can't compete on the open market. So it goes, I suppose.

20. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nellie, we're definitely going to miss your leadership on and off the field. You have a heart of gold, and blood of black & red. You truly made a name for yourself in this league, and with DCU and we are forever proud of our Captain! Best of luck no matter where you go, you've got your DC family always cheering for you mate.

Cheers!

21. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wishful thinking on my part but heres my wild fantasy. All this talk of Nellie leaving was so they could protect an additional player, let RSL and Chivas pass him up because everyone knows he could easily land a deal in the EPL and then after the draft, his EPL deal falls through and resigns with DCU! It could happen, right?!?!

22. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with the sense of loss expressed here. How can I not? I'm a fan of United.

But I also have to agree with the appreciation and good wishes expressed for a remarkable player and Captain. How can I not? I'm a fan of the game.

As a player and as a person you are strong, solid, composed and fair; gallant in victory, unbowed in defeat: all attributes of character I hope to instill in my son and daughter. Mister Nelsen, I salute you.

I just hope you don't have trouble understanding the accents over there :D

23. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I think it's the "free transfer" part, not that he is leaving that he was referring to. Nellie looked a year or two ago (and I believe even got an offer), but MLS wouldn't sell him (no idea about the money, for MLS, involved though).

We would have been a different team without him, but MLS would have gotten something out of the deal. Now they get zilch.

-dave

24. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I wouldn't put it past Kevin Payne.
    The timing is suspect here. United is having its cake and eating it too. We get to put him on the unprotected list, yet he's as good as gone.
    What happens if the deals don't materialize?
    Who's to say that Nellie and KP didn't strike a deal that went something like this?

KP: Kiwi we need you to tell us what your decision is. Ya with us or are you going abroad?
    RN: Sir I need more time sir. I just don't know. There's some talk but nothing at all solid yet sir.
    KP: Well I want to give you more time. How about if we do this: I tell the world that you're as good as gone, and we don't protect you in the draft. Then if you decide to stay you'll be here and it lets us also keep one of your teammates.
    RN: That's a plan but makes me a little nervous. I don't want my only option in the worst case to be to play for RSLC.
    KP: OK here's what I'll do: I'll go to the Post and plant a story that you're as good as gone. My quotes will say that you have a deal in EPL that's close to final and that we can't compete with.
    RN: What do I have to do?
    KP: Keep your mouth shut.

Now, did this happen? Who knows. But could it have happened? I don't see why not.
    Sign me Chief Pubah Internet Nut - CPIN for short.
    '39

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think that strategy would be an idea cooked up by "the galactically stupid", as Daniel Kaffee would say.

I guarantee you that in a late round, Ryan Nelsen will be selected by one of the expansion teams. Why? Because they will control his rights for two years. If, heaven forbid, Nellie doesn't catch on overseas the team that drafted him will have to be compensated if he signs with another team.

At least, that's what I think it means, based on the Dante Washington and Jaime Moreno situations this year.