New Goff: Nelsen Won't Return to United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mcontento, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    ???

[​IMG]

United's going to what now?

:eek:

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well that would put a whole new twist on a White House visit for the MLS Cup Champs. :D

3. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked at getting Gregg Berthalter a few years ago so he might be a suitable replacement. Since his team is not playing in the Bundesliga anymore, he may opt for a Gibbs/Kirovski-type move to get more attention from Coach Arena by playing in MLS as opposed to a lower division European side.

Then again, there is always Eddie Pope if the MetroStars are looking to do a make-over.

4. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    mE TOo.

5. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's to replace Pascal Cygan, I could at least live with this news.

6. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MTQ0NTUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

The Metros....are quietly shopping Eddie Pope

So maybe we can get Pope back if the price is right and he's in shape and not over the hill yet.

Man sorry to see Nellie go-I thought he was a great player and a fun guy to listen to-but it looks like he gets to go to the Premiership where he'll probably get a lot more $.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Nobody can blame him for doing this. He leaves us with the best possible gift a player can give his fans. All I have to say is: "Do us proud"

8. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    :( this stinks but like they say all good things must come to an end

i wish nellie the best in england and hope someday he will return.

speaking tacticly unless we get another great defender we might have to change the 3-5-2 or unless EZ steps up huge

will miss you mate!

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those bums don't even appreciate it when we send them quality players. When was the last time the kept a quality player we traded them?

ABMOD? Traded back here.
    Kamler? Traded to NE
    Moreno? That move is now part of United lore.
    Pope? ???

Note: Notice that I used the term quality player so Lisi and Zadie are exempt.

10. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd want to trade for Pope, unless he could be acquired for draft picks and/or future considerations. Losing Nellie is enough, and we know Stewart is gone, I don't want to give up yet another player to acquire Pope, on top of whatever is lost in the ExDraft. Signing someone straight up, foreign or not, is a better move I'd think.

11. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I think this is a terrible idea, at least if you mean as a replacement for Nellie. If Pope was even close to the leader that Nellie is, Metro would not be shopping him around.

Besides, I like Pope as a person, but hate him as a player. He's all Metro to me now, and I would not like to see him back at DC.

12. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know about Pope, either. I don't know how he would play in the middle of a 3 man back line. IIRC, he has always played in a 4 man back line and he doesn't strike me as a great organizer. I never see him talking on the field. Maybe I just haven't paid that much attention.

I thought that the FO said it would use the Convey allocation to find a top-notch central defender from overseas. And speaking of allocations, does a possible move to the EPL for Nellie mean another allocation for DC?

I'll miss ya Nellie. Thanks for everything!

13. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    I'm just going to come right out and say it--I don't want Eddie back. He's old, oft-injured, in the US camp when he's not hurt, and frankly, pretty damn ineffective lately. We can do better. Especially at the money.

Nellie is a class act, and I always enjoyed talking with him. Best wishes, and if he wants to come back here to finish up, I'd be the first to welcome him back.

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

I think it would be a great idea to get a large copy of this picture and get fans to write good-bye messages on it...however I have no way of organizing such a thing.

As for the Pope thing, he never does seem to organize and he does seem to be breaking down, however we thought Moreno was falling apart too. If it wasn't for Pope's cap figure, I would love to have him back.

15. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lowecifer again.

At least you didn't go here

[​IMG]

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be the lone voice of dissent. But unless we get Eddie for 150 or under, we're getting jobbed. There are going to be lot of important National Team fixtures in 2005

MLS MLS CUP US OPEN CUP OTHER CUPS
    GP GS G A GP GS G A GP GS G A GP GS G A
    1996 18 18 2 1 6 6 1 0 2 2 1 0 - - - -
    1997 29 29 3 2 5 5 0 0 2 2 0 0 2 1 0 1
    1998 20 20 1 0 6 6 0 0 - - - - 5 5 2 1
    1999 19 18 1 0 6 6 0 1 1 1 0 0 2 2 0 0
    2000 21 21 0 2 - - - - 2 2 0 0 2 2 0 0
    2001 19 18 0 2 - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2002 17 16 1 1 - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know we had a thread about this before, a long time ago.

17. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

(More -'s) Not to mention we get to see him hurt for god knows how long + National cal ups if he is healthy... Screw that.

(+?) Not the worst option sure... but not the best. (of course, I think the best has England sinking into the ocean and Nellie staying here right now :D)

18. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck Nellie.
    Thanks for the memories, hard work and the Cup.
    You will be missed.
    Kick some booty in the EPL.

19. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    Most people on this board know me. I'm not saying it's true, I'm just repeating what was heard in LA where many of the media and people very close to the team also said that was the buzz..

True or not, speculation about where MLS players possibly ending up in the Prem at all is something that wouldn't even have been entertained 5 years ago.

Nellie is a fantastic player, and if Boca can play in the Prem, Nellie can.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an apt comparison. If I were putting together a team, I'd see Boca and Ryan as equally talented, and then I'd have to decide between Boca's versatility vs. Ryan's character. A Fulham-Charlton-Tottenham-ManCity level club, that makes alot of sense.

I'm still holding out the hope that Blackburn will sign him up. Their backline gets caught out all the time. He'll rectify that situation. Rovers have conceded the most goals. You can't get to 17th with the 20th defense, unless you have an overpowering offense.

They don't have an overpowering offense.

21. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, I guess the bright side to all this is, we have the entire off-season to look for a new defender and the managment said a central defender is the main priority if Nelsen leaves coupled with Nowak's ability so far to scout his type of player and get them here, I'm not quite as worried anymore.

Still though, congrats to Nelsen on the EPL. Thanks for all you've done, especially helping to bring us back to glory.

22. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best MLS could probably do is $250-300K. Even crap teams in the EPL could pay 10 times as much, and they'd be lucky to have him. I'm sure he'll go for much, much, more.

Best of luck in the future Nellie, you're a total class act!!

23. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Amen. If he's Premier quality (which I think isn't as up in air as people think) then at least that speaks well of us.

Oh DC, why do you develop your best talent only to have it shipped off to Europe??!!

If he and Convey end up on the same team in England, I will be highly pissed.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So would I. Nelsen is better than Reading.

25. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    What a class guy!!
    Ryan gives it his all, and whomever gets him will be getting
    a diamond polished at DC United.
    I don't know if it was Rongway or Hudson that brought him to United, but I do know, that much they got right.
    Every time I have spoken with Ryan, he has been a down to earth, friendly guy.
    Ryan truly epitomizes all that is Right with footballers.
    I'll look forward to watching him wherever he lands.
    Well done, Ryan!!!!
    Mark and Garth