New Goalkeeper Signed

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Colonial717, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Andrew Weber Now!

:D

3. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    This guy has limitless nickname potential.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've liked a few of his songs. At least he has something to fall back on, if he doesn't make it in soccer.

5. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really want a mullet on the boy

6. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Isn't that four keepers?

Anyone want to start the Rimando-or-Perkins for Razov rumors?

;)

RS

7. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    No, we waived Terris a few weeks ago.

8. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gotcha. Nevermind, then.

RS

9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Weber is the 3rd goalie now - Terris was waived after he got torched for 3 NE goals in 16 minutes in DC's lone loss in the reserve division.

Perkins is an Ohio lad if that matters for trade rumor talk (although his salary is a far cry from Razov's).

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wouldn't that make him signifcantly more attractive to Columbus then?

With Quintanilla's waiving, there is more salary cap space, in addition to the net gain after Petke was shipped and Wilson signed. If the Crew agreed to hold some of Razov's salary in the way that DC is holding some of Henderson's...

;)

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I say DC starts Weber against San Jose. I mean come on, a 0.55 GAA in his senior year?

Certainly he'd be better than Rimando and Perkins in goal at the same time.

12. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Is he taller than 5'9"?

13. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://golobos.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/weber_andrew01.html

Andrew Weber

Hometown:
    Phoenix, AZ

High School:
    McClintock HS

Height / Weight:
    6-2 / 185

Position:
    Goalkeeper

Birthdate:
    08/09/1983

Experience:
    4L

Honors:
    3-Time All-MPSF
    2-Time All-Region

Graduated:

GENERAL INFORMATION/CAREER
    Four-year starter who is one of the best goal keepers in school history...Holds UNM's career records for games played (83), minutes played (7,681), goalie wins (50), saves (350), and shutouts (25)...Career g.a.a. of 1.18 is second all-time at UNM...Three time All-MPSF performer and two-time all-region player...Has scored one goal and three assists in his career...four-time MPSF Player of the Week...Played all 560 minutes of UNM's first three NCAA Tournament appearances...Posted a career 0.96 g.a.a. in six games in the NCAA Tournament.

2003 - SENIOR SEASON
    Started 20 games in goal, playing all but 67:15 minutes...Posted a 17-1-2 record with nine shutouts...Had 60 saves on the year and allowed just 11 goals for a 0.55 g.a.a., the lowest g.a.a. in school history...Was fifth in the NCAA and 1st in the MPSF in individual g.a.a...Nine shutouts led the MPSF and tied for the most in one season in school history...Did not allow a goal at the UNM Soccer Complex...Had a scoreless streak of 466:53 that stretched over eight games, including a program-high six consecutive shutouts...Scored an assist against Denver on Oct. 28...Nike/ALLTELL Classic All-Tournament team at Virginia Commonwealth...Defensive MVP of the adidas/Crescent Financial Solution Invitational at New Mexico...Soccer America National Team of the Week on Sept. 19...Two-Time Brine MPSF Player of the Week on Sept. 19 and Oct. 24...1st Team All-MPSF...2nd Team All-Far West Region.

2003 - JUNIOR SEASON
    Recorded five shutouts and a 1.57 g.a.a...Became the first goalie to score a goal in school history when he bombed a punt off a UC-Irvine player into the back of the net...Also had his second career assist in the game...Named to the Wisconsin Classic All-Tournament team and 2nd Team All-MPSF...Earned MPSF Player-of-the-Week honors on Nov. 3 after shutting out No. 25 San Jose State (1-0) and Sacramento State (3-0).

2002 - SOPHOMORE SEASON
    The top keeper in the MPSF and one of the best goalies in the West...2002 MPSF Goalkeeper of the Year...Named to the NSCAA Midwest Region 3rd Team...MPSF all-tournament team member...Earned the Defensive MVP of the Lobo Invitational...His 0.91 g.a.a. ranked 30th in the nation, led the MPSF and was the fourth lowest season mark in UNM history...Was named the MPSF Player of the Week for September 15...His 18 wins set a new school record while his six shutouts tied for the fourth best single-season mark at UNM...Scored an assist to Ben Ashwill against Cal Poly on September 13.

2001 - FRESHMAN SEASON
    Started all 21 games...Played all but 45 minutes during the season...Recorded 5 shutouts, including three in the postseason.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Three-year starter at McClintock HS...Class 5A Goalkeeper of the Year in Arizona in 2000...Eight shutouts and a 1.2 g.a.a. his senior year...First team all-region, all-state and team MVP his senior year.

CLUB
    Seven shutouts and a 1.6 g.a.a. for the Tempe Pros Club Team which was the national runner-up in 2000...Played for the FC Classic Bandidos in 2002 that won the West Regional...Teamed with Lobos Eric Carlson, Brandon Moss and Ben Ashwill on 2002 Bandidos team...Played again with the Bandidos in 2003, teaming with Carlson and Ashwill.

PERSONAL
    Born Aug. 9, 1983, in Austin, Texas... Son of Donald and Barbara Weber... Has three siblings - Matt, Kim and twin brother Elliot...Majored in Marketing.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've actually seen this kid play.

A couple of years ago, I think it was 2002, he was playing with his youth club over at the Soccerplex in Germantown at the US Youth Soccer Assocation national championship tournament.

I saw him play a couple of games and remember being pretty impressed. He had a nice command of his box and great reflexes, stopping a couple of PKs.

I remember coming home and looking him up and finding out he had already played his freshman year at New Mexico and figured he'd be someone we'd been hearing about in the future in terms of youth national teams and as a pro prospect.

But despite playing for a New Mexico team that made the NCAAs the last three years, including being No. 1 part of last year, he never got the accolades or pro projections other players got. Still, I was surprised when the draft came and went and he didn't land anwyere.

So, I am pleased to see that he eventually landed in MLS and at United of all places.

I'm not saying this guy is the next Kasey Keller or anything, but, based on what I saw those few days in Maryland, I think he's got a pretty good upside and definitely worth taking a flier on.

And, I'd also love to know how United came to know about him. I know New Mexico played UVa last year in the NCAAs, so maybe one of DCU's coaches saw him there. Or, was Mark Simpson also scouting at Germantown back at those games I was watching!

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does he do for a living? Does he have Perkin's old job at Galyans?:p

16. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And remember when some of us here though Perkins would wind up replacing Nicky?!?!

His stats seem quite impressive, and having read his bio I'm shocked he didn't get picked up by anyone during the draft. Just goes to show Kasper and Co. have a good eye out for talent. Hopefully this guy sees some reserve action and maybe some time on the 1st team.

And LORD forbid this kid winds up at Galyans, keep him in the box taking shots all day and night.

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    If Kasper and Co. had such a great eye for talent, then why was this kid picked up in June and not sometime earlier?

If it had something to do with Weber not signing until he was done with school or his refusal until now to sign a developmental deal then fine, but if that's not the case I don't see how management can be praised for this.

I'm guessing there's more to it though than what appears on the surface because he does seem to be a decent pickup.

18. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he didn't want to sign until he finished school. I'm sure we'll see more activity from other clubs signing graduating seniors to dev spots.

19. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    The guy's stats are impressive. Hope he sees a lot of reserve action to see just what he's got.

20. lmarie5

lmarie5 New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    Do we really want someone who works at a place now called "Dick's"?

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends...is she cute?

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe that this is the product of East Coast soccer bias. Very few players from non-traditional soccer powers (mostly in the east) get much of a fair shake.

As a flip-side to that statement, lots of people have been gushing about his stats in this thread, but look at who the Lobos played as a result of being in the Mountain West conference: UNLV, San Diego State, Sacramento State, Air Force, Denver. Sure their AD was savvy enough to get Indiana (a Lobos win), VCU, and SMU on their slate.

I'm glad the kid got a shot at United, and that he impressed. But stats, as we've hashed over numerous times, mean nothing, and I'll make no judgementa as to his ability or lack therof until I see him in a game.

But you've got to like a keeper that's been (incorrectly) credited with a goal. :D

23. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Didn't Matt Reis have one last year? :D

24. J-Rod

J-Rod New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    It is surprising that nobody picked him up in the draft. I saw Weber play last year against Indiana. He definitely outplayed Nolly. Incredible reactions, he got 8 or 9 saves, the shutout, and the win. He is a big game, big play goalkeeper, and it is great he hooked up with DC. You will be surprised by his athleticism, command in the goal area, and his work ethic. I am biased since I have seen Andrew play for 4 years. I have also had a chance to see him coaching youth soccer players. He is a nice guy with great character and humility. He is the type of person you hope you kid grows up to be -- except for being a goalkeeper. ;-)

25. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Where's the video of this punt? Gotta be a candidate for Goal of the Year!!!