New GM Thread: Now that Lalas has been shown the door...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by KingsRule89, Aug 11, 2008.

1. KingsRule89

KingsRule89 New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    New GM Thread: Dave *@$#%&* Denholm for GM

Get it done Timmy Lieweke..........Get it done.

2. socals13guy

socals13guy New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Re: Dave Motherf*cking Denholm for GM

I agree!

Plus he can still do the radio side so he can let the fans know what is going on with Galaxy.

Broadcast every Tuesday! :D

3. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll attach my name.

4. KingsRule89

KingsRule89 New Member

Jun 20, 2007

Petition started..........

5. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    Re: New GM Thread: Dave *@$#%&* Denholm for GM

DD:

I know you're busy negotiating your GM deal with LAG, but please don't forget to post the podcast today, although if you wait a day to announce your hiring, I won't mind;)...

6. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003

what's the deal with the interim guy, Payne? he a candidate? and if so, how much more competent is he than Lalas?

7. Anti-Legion

Anti-Legion New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Rialto
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

Yes!

8. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005

DD is listening! The podcast is up:

Denholm special 20080811

I'll listen as soon as I can...

9. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Denholm for GM has my vote. Go Dave!

10. WAX888

WAX888 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Ontario, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The "special Update" reminds me of Pump Up the Volume. One guy, One mic, Trying to make a change.

Talk Hard DD

11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sports writer to GM?

It has happened: Fred Clare.

How did that work out?

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense but no thanks...

I appreciate his appreciation for the team and the sport but he's no soccer genius.

13. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like the coach thread, give your thoughts on who you think our GM should be.

Peter Wilt for me...

14. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw him all the cash he wants to come here (there is no salary cap for a GM) and leave the man alone.

15. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    edit. might be mistaken the press release seems to have changed. payne might not be the new gm.

tom payne might be our new gm. he's been the assistant gm for three years and with the galaxy for 6. his brother is kevin payne, the gm for d.c. united.

tom isn't much in the spotlight, but from the scant bits and pieces where i've seen him quoted he comes across as smart, well informed about the game and the vagaries of mls. if tom can bring some of kevin's smarts to the galaxy and doesn't just become the latest mouthpiece it could be a very, very good move

this about his brother:
    if some of those dates look interesting. 2001 is when d.c. united started to decline (payne gets hired by aeg). 2004 is when united hired nowak and went on to win mls cup (payne leaves aeg to become president of d.c. united). sure they've not been back since then, but they've been consistently good since 2004.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we need anyone new. We have an asst GM/acting GM who is very experienced on the business side, and we have Bravo who is doing at least an adequate job on the soccer side, and who was put in his position largely because of Alexi's shortcomings, it seems. Promote Payne, hire a new asst GM, and hire whatever help Bravo needs to adequately scout the world. There, done.

17. Jugular

Jugular New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    I have run into Tom Payne at the games on several occasions. He is the consummate hard worker. He routinely is checking on the comfort of the fans at the stadium and making sure things get corrected if they are not. I would agree with you that he is not much in the spotlight and probably it is because he is looking at the details in making a club successful. Really a good guy and seems that his employees love to work for him.

Lalas was a nice enough guy but he was not a leader. You read a book like Jim Collins Good to Great where he talks about what makes a corporation go from a "good" company to a "great" company and he says that leadership is a common thread in all "great" companies. That leader has to be a level 5 leader. Collins pretty much defines a level 5 leader as having at least these two main elements: 1) An unwavering focus on doing the right things for the long term good of their organization and 2) An inherent ability to selflessly shun the limelight and deflect the credit for their success to others in the organization or outside factors. I think Tom Payne is that level 5 leader.

18. forzagalaxy

forzagalaxy Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Austin, azTeX/SB, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's wrong with Bravo?

19. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

I appreciate all your support! I am serious about this only to help our beloved Galaxy.

And mbar, I am no soccer genius. But, I would bring passion like NO one else will to the Galaxy post. It's my team and I demand success on and off the field.

Couple quick things:
    I will be in constant contact with supporters' groups and season ticket holders about their experiences. ( I think Alexi was good at this)

I will clean up our cap mess and lack of MLS-level talent. We are the least talented team in the league overall and that will change.

Being in the locker room frequently, I do have some concern about a few players and their attitude. That will be remedied. If you don't bleed Galaxy, you do not play here.

And much, much more.

20. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just can't argue with any of this. The bold is my favorite part.

It's fun to dream, but I just can't see it happening. Who knows though? Keep us updated Dave, and goodluck!