New Furman Thread Courtney Requested

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Veteran Observer, Sep 20, 2003.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I pray that you aren't serious.

As for your comments to me, you are crazy if you think head coaches don't have final say on who their players are and who is on the pitch. When did you become such a great evaluator of talent? What gives you the right to say who is good and that coaches can't recognize talent when they see it?

Are you like 12 or something?

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    First, it's my suspicion is that furmanfootball is a sock puppet. No one who went to Furman would graduate if they wrote that poorly for four years.

Second, as good as Nusum is on the ball he is not fast enough to play in the MLS. I think he could have been a good attacking mid but I think he'd rather be a forward in the A-League than an AMid in the MLS.

Last, Fuller was an excellent forward for Clemson. Fast and tall just like Clemson needs. He can finish chances but can't create his own as well as Nusum can. If we could put the best of those two players together we'd have an MLS all-star.

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    From what I saw he was never fit enough to ever play attacking mid, which made me question his dedication to the game. He always seemed to be playing heavier than he should have been. He also didn't seem to work very hard off the ball or if he wasn't involved. I've been to a few Silverback games and in the time that he has gotten there, doesn't seem like much has changed.

Fast? Seriously? That was his one knock coming out of college. Despite what some people thought (Jenagrantfan), he was an incredible target player and made his supporting cast so much better with his effort and abilities. You are correct, he did the most with his chances.

4. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    In big games he would be marked by the other teams fastest defender. He would then draw underneath the forwards and act as if he wasn't playing. he was. Time and time again I'd see him suddenly get involved. His size was very good and he was not chubby by any means. He was powerful.

I thought he was faster than the average player up against him. Oh well. I stand corrected.

5. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Fuller and Furman

Attacking minded,
    You have posted some of your best stuff lately, impressed that you beat me to Furmanfootball's grammar and spelling, it is horrendous. But Paul Leese/Carrot Top never did look like the smartest guy in the world.

I think Fuller was a great player and his only downfall at New England was that he struggled to score goals like he did at Clemson. He had a good season by all accounts at Rochester and finds a way to make an impact on a game which I think Nusum struggles to do.

Nusum was always dangerous but didn't do well in physical matches which a guy of his size should. I always though that Daniel Alvarez was Furman's best player over the years. Skilled, quick, smart and had that painfully long throw to contend with.

Whoever their sweeper was in 99 was a good player too.

Goldsmith was technically good but extremely overrated and wouldn't have been All American at any other school.

Would love to see an All-Time Furman 11 from one of our Furman writers.

6. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I don't think furmanfootball is a real poster.

Paul is a fine person and is a welcome addition to the Furman team. I've only heard good things about him, except on this board. I think that's more a reflection of the internet than Paul.

7. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I don't know.....I've talked to quite a few defenders, from various teams, who thought differently. I distinctly remember one of the quotes, "That guy was so soft around the middle, I think he eats Krispy Kreme for pre-game." To me, that says it all...

8. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Well, my only "Paul Story" took place at the very first soccer game I ever saw. He went in for a 50/50 ball right at the bench, both players went down and then Paul got and spit in the other guy's face. The kid got up and when he looked at his coach, he had this huge ball of spit rolling down his face. The kid was shocked. I know people grow up, but he has done nothing to change my opinion...

9. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Lees (by the way this is the correct spelling) was a tremendous leader and player. In 1999, he was surrounded by great role players. Nusum was at his best....Bradford was composed.....Alvarez had tremendous speed with the ball....Seagraves was a rock.....Blount was coming into his own......Marks was crafty.......Junot did all the combining. Forgive me if I have left anyone out. Lees was the glue....He led by example. Tough tackler, great communicator, superb leader. Clearly the best chemistry fielded at Furman. Great game against UConn, that was end to end...very entertaining. To address the players that have been compared to one another.....I don't know any college coach that wouldn't jump at the chance to have them on their squad. They were terrific college soccer players.

In terms of addressing the best 11 players to play for Furman, I don't think I am qualified since I am not familiar with many of their players prior to the late 90's.

I do know many Clemson greats. Many of the more recent players (while effective and productive) are not in the same class that once roamed Riggs Field. This is meant as a compliment......

Do you really think I am coach Allison....I can't stand foreigners.

10. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Clemson All-Time 11

Old-School Clemson 11

GK Jaro Zawislan
    D Clyde Browne
    D Adubarie Otorubio
    M Christian Nwokocha
    M Ben Popoola
    M Eric Eichmann
    M Obed Ariri
    M Paul Rutenis
    F Bruce Murray
    F Nwandi Nwokocha
    F Henry Abadi

New School Clemson 11

GK Matt Jordan
    D Oguchi Onyewu
    D Alan Woods
    D Mike Potempa
    D John Wilson
    M Mark Lisi
    M Jeff Bilyk
    M Paul Stalteri
    M Eric Quill
    F Wojtek Krakowiak
    F Dimelon Westfield

Subs: Jason Kamlet, Ian Fuller, Ricky Lewis, Doug Warren

11. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    The Furman website says different...

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/soccer_m/staff/leese.shtml

I seriously doubt that Furman would misspell the names of one of their staff members. That should about do it for the cracks on a Clemson education...

Yor forget his ability to spit on oppsoing teams players while getting up from tackles.

This is a really ignorant thing to say. That is, unless, you are a Native American Indian. How can you try to sound so educated then make such a stupid comment?

12. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Didn't see the humor in trying to throw you off the scent with the Leese spelling and my affection for foreigners.....You are wound way too tight my friend....

You have assembled quite a list of players. Can't find a single one of your starters that isn't deserving. Who is Jason Hamlet? I didn't recognize the name.

As far as your education, I never threw stones at a Clemson education. Good school. I have a few that work for me.

13. freedomfry

freedomfry New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    future

Well, now that Furman has reached the bottom according to some on this Forum, are there any bright spots for the future. Any standout Freshman? Any Up and comers? Any potential recruits? Any hope?

14. Furmanfootball

Furmanfootball New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    greenville
    Attacking Minded thanks for pointing out the obvious? My grammar and spelling, that’s the only thing you are good at I guess that education degree isn’t going to waste so stick to that coz you are obviously clueless about soccer. You might wanna correct this sentence of yours coz the last time I checked this wasn’t grammatically correct either
    (First, it's my suspicion is that furmanfootball is a sock puppet). Second graders are lucky to have a teacher like you, just don’t try coaching them soccer. Hey I don’t care about my grammar here damn ass just the content coz unless your mom is grading me, I don’t give a *#*#*#*#. Anyway back to the important stuff and yea I will try pay I little bit of attention to my grammar and spelling just for you. And as a reminder I am not Leese, when are you ever gonna get that through your thick head. First Leese would definitely care about his grammar coz I thought he was from Scotland or something. Anyway this is why nobody will ever convince me that Lisi is a better player than Carl. I have played against both of them, so I know what I am talking about. For starters Carl was way faster than Lisi; he also had better dribbling skills and was better in the air than Lisi. Don’t get me wrong, Lisi is a talent but only coz he does all the simple stuff right, does very few mistakes and is good spraying passes left and right, but he rarely could beat defenders one on one, a thing Carl did with ease. That’s why Ricardo Clark was preferred to him in the beginning of Metrostars season when Lisi wasn't starting, because Clark possesses some of Carl's qualities that I have mentioned above.
    Back to nusum, the last time I checked he scored big goals so I have no idea what you are talking about. In 99 for example he scored against usc, unc, wake forest and uconn, all prime time goals. About him being an average A-league player, that is crap coz he did have 7 goals compared to Fuller's 8 though Fuller played in a game more than he did. So don’t tell me Fuller is a good A league player while Nusum is just average. And if you think fuller is faster than Nusum then i guess u have no idea what you are talking about so stick with your education career and don’t venture into soccer anytime soon if you couldn’t even see the obvious. Fuller was a good target player coz he could hold the ball really well, so people could play off him. He was strong too, I will give him that but that’s the extent of his capabilities. Nusum on the other hand was strong, had mad ball skills, very quick and was a natural finisher. He made scoring look simple. Alright Mr. Attacking minded, grade me on my grammar and spelling coz I know you can’t wait. Don’t reply to my analysis though coz I honestly believe you and that sheepshugger idiot are clueless about soccer

15. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    You should really get your facts straight before you spout off. You obviously know nothing about Mark Lisi, Ricardo Clark, or the MetroStars.

16. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    FIXXXER. Sheeplover. Furman isn't the only team that has a streak at stake this weekend. Is Clemson going in confident? If history is any indicator they ought to notch one in the win column.....I look forward to seeing the contrasting styles. I wonder if the Gamecocks feel this is the year they finally win one over Adair.

I know Adair was a great player, so too was Allison.....Anyone know of Berson's playing history?

17. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    FF and Musicbox

Furmanfootball has absolutely no clue about Lisi while he was at Clemson or with the Metrostars.

He couldn't beat a player? Junot had better qualities than him? You are kidding yourself. So many things to reply to that its not worth my time. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

If you are such a bigtime player like you say FurmanFootball then who have you played against? Who did you play for? Do you even know anything about any soccer outside of the Southern Conference?

Musicbox, as for the big game Sunday, I think it will be extremely close but USC has such a mental block against Clemson that they will fall short again hopefully. I have confidence.

As bad as Clemson was in 99 they still beat USC and the Chicken Curse will continue tomorrow.

18. Christie Hopkins

Christie Hopkins New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Berson GK

I believe Mark Berson was a standout GK at UNC

19. Jabroni

Jabroni New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Furmanfootball is a donkey

I have been trying to hold my tongue as I continue to read some of the most irrational, ridiculous posts I've ever seen on this particular thread. For Furmanfootball to be comparing Carl Junot to Mark Lisi is like comparing the minging touches of Kenny Arena to the pure genius of Paul Scholes...Simply a different class my friend. So before you start shooting your mouth off so aimlessly and telling everyone else how wrong they are, let us compare the facts shall we.

Carl Junot '97: 6 goals 0 Assists
    Mark Lisi '97: 12 goals 6 Assists

Carl Junot '98 0 goals 0 Assists
    Mark Lisi '98 10 goals 17 Assists

Carl Junot '99 7 goals 9 assists
    Mark Lisi '99 6 goals 6 assists (out half the year with a broken foot)

Carl Junot '00 4 goals 8 assists
    Mark Lisi '00 15 goals 8 assists

Mark Lisi: 2000 Concensus First-Team All-American...first team all-american by the NSCAA, Soccer America, and Soccer Times...Fist team All ACC in 98,99,00...1998 All American...finished with 43 goals and 37 assists...Drafted 3rd overall by D.C. United in the MLS Draft...played with the U-23s with olsen, wolff, obrien, etc.

The last time I checked, these statistics and accolades are pretty impressive for any player to achieve in their career. Now go ahead and try to do it in the ACC, and you have pure class. Carl Junot may have been one of the better players at Furman during those years, but in reality, he was an average college soccer player. Lisi was a player the led the nation in assists in 98, was up for the MAC and Herman awards, and one of the best players in the country. If this doesn't convince you that Lisi might have been just a "tiny" bit better than Junot, than you have the blinders on and just don't want to see it. The fact is that Furman and Clemson just can't be compared. Furman doesn't know what it's like to be in the ACC and with a 4-35-1 record against Clemson since 1967, they just aren't comparable. As far as pace, Lisi won the fastest man competition coach Adair had every year since 97. (he beat out scott bower, wojtek, john wilson, onyewu, lewis, the list goes on and on)
    So before you continue on your rampage of useless comparisons, I suggest you get real here and come to the realization that you missed the boat on this one. And if you don't admit to yourself that you're wrong, you're also insulting the soccer knowledge and observations of bob bradley, thomas rongen, john ellinger, clive charles, glenn myernick, bruce arena..etc. etc....I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll turn on espn and watch Lisi play...I'll be looking for Junot, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to find him in the mls these days...guess he just wasn't good enough

20. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Lisi vs Junot

Do we need say more? I think it was summed up in one superlative post from Jabroni.

If I ever hear another Junot is better than Lisi quote then I know you're short bus was late and you had too much time on your hands.

Lisi is better than any player ever to go through Furman.

And don't get me started on Murray, Harris, Stalteri, Popoola, Eichmann etc.........

November 9th will just become another statistic to Clemson, nothing special.

21. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sheeplover.....Not to be so argumentative on a Monday morning, however I assume that when you make the statement that Lisi was better than any player ever to go through Furman you meant staying four years. If not, I would think Ricardo Clark while not achieving the statistical achievements of Mark Lisi (all deserving), is a better player even though he is younger.

I enjoyed watching Lisi pick teams apart and start attacks from the midfield. He had a great feel for when to support the attack versus making the run himself. He was equally as dangerous stepping into passing lanes when teams attempted to counter due to an attack going awry.

22. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I would most certainly include Ricardo Clark. While it's my opinion that he is the best player that I've seen at Furman, I still believe that Lisi is the better all around player. Lisi just has intangible qualities that set him apart, a vision for the game that isn't taught and isn't learned. Either you are born wth it or you don't have it.

I also think that the statistics do mean a lot, Lisi did it in ACC whereas Clark was in the Southern Conference.

23. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Clark plays for the under 20's and is one of the brightest emerging stars. With all deference to statistics and the ACC, Clark will be on the full team and more than likely have the opportunity to play at a high level in europe. Lisi will be a good/great MLS player.

24. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    We will have to agree on disagreement. Time will tell. I believe that a healthy Mark Lisi could also be a contributor on the full team, as he did extremely well during his first call in to camp prior to the World Cup. I think they are both in a great position playing for Bob Bradley as that will go a long way with Bruce.

25. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Agreed......