New Furman Thread Courtney Requested

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Veteran Observer, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    That's odd. I came to an opposite conclusion on the system of play. I don't think they keep enough width in the back or up top. I think they put too many players in the center of the feild. It makes their counters too difficult and encourages the other team to counter with speed up the side.

2. dragon

dragon Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Attacking---- what you are saying is totally correct. By playing the christmas tree, the formation keeps to many in the center. The problem with the back is the players can't mark up when the transition begins and there is always an open player to feed the ball to. Theoretically this formation should clog up counterattacks but it doesn''t work unless you have a stopper with extraordinary speed and furman lacks that. This one defender can then pick up the open player as he goes through but Allison doesn't have that player yet he still tries to play the formation. Having more width in the back only allows more space for attackers to run through. Thusly come the comment that Allison is not a great coach to redo his formation.

3. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Dragon and DJansson

Though not as personal and insulting, your post was extremely accurate with a large amount of inside information that I think few people would have a clue about. You have an angle and a history with Furman that nobody else does.

I was just reading backing and saw that Djinhisass11 had seen Furman's problem as being too many long passes into double coverage.

Double coverage eh? I think you are right, they should also go back to their shotgun formation with trips right and work more with the nickel defence than the 5-2. They could also do with some more home runs and double plays while looking out for seven ten splits and slam dunks.

You should be commentating for the Premier League with Jerry Lawler, Julie Foudy, Tommy Smith, Michael Irvin, Eric Dickerson and JP Analcamera.

4. Djansson11

Djansson11 New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    response to sheeplover

Brilliant one... you must not have watched Furman play. Because if you had, you would notice the long balls to Dempsey and Hoch specifically with two defenders on their backs. It is clear to me and many others that you really know nothing about Furman's actual style or flaws, because you have yet to address a single valid concept about their game, in ANY post. You just insist on knocking anything about it that you can come up with because of your allegiance to Clemson. Whatever man, quit trying to piss people off with rash and inaccurate comments, because it's not working, all you're doing is exposing that you don't know a thing about Furman soccer. Stick to supporting Clemson, something you might actually know a little about.

5. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Djansson learn the game...

My post was nothing to do with Furman or Clemson. I admitted that Furman was the better team over the weekend.

My post was over your use of the words "Double coverage". I don't think there is a soccer manual in the world that uses those two words. You are using a football term in soccer, do they see that?

I will apologise if I hear Madden say "John Lynch is the best sweeper in the NFL".

6. Djansson11

Djansson11 New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Yea, but what soccer manual mentions being double-marked to start with? Look, there is nothing that says what sport that term refers to. It is not necessarily a football term, it is a basic use of the english language. Good christ, the word double, meaning two, and coverage, meaning covering someone (also could mean marking) go together just fine for ANYthing. There are much more useful things to look for controversy in. Once again, try talking about a comment someone made about actual soccer rather than something like this. And honestly, does it really matter? Or do you just have to have something to say at all times and that was the only thing you could think to comment on? Try getting along with people on the board, and having calm, RESPECTFUL debates, like this message board is meant for.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    When you guys talk about these coaches from the Palmetto state, you should talk to current and former players. I have...and tell you what...all three are not held in high regard by their players, at least the ones I've talked with.

8. USSoccerFan#1

USSoccerFan#1 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    The christman tree formation has nothing to do with why Furman has struggled this year. I played four years at Furman and we used this formation a total of 5 times. I doubt they have even used it this year, but they do have some speed if they were to use it (Kenny Penn, who is struggling...Luke Barbour too). All this mess about why they are struggling is going way too deep. They just havent played well and dont have the attack that they once had. They also havent been able to close games off (South Florida, St. Louis, Elon, UNC Asheville). Its not like they are getting blown out against teams. It all comes down to having heart out there and wanting to win. They know they should have easily beaten some of the teams, but in the big games vs. Maryland, South Florida, and St. Louis they played well. It unlucky that none of those games went their way, but hey, thats how it goes.
    As for the recruiting, good job for RH to bring them to Furman, but once they stepped on campus, Im sure it was Doug who got them to sign. He is known for his recruiting. He had class when it came to this, and just because he didnt use some of the antics that the 34 yearr old RH used to make these 17 and 18 year olds think he was cool doesnt mean he didnt do any recruiting. Allison goes to all the odp events, some Im sure he has seen quality players like Clint.
    Lastly, lets just ignore the remarks of "Sheeplover". He has nothing smart to add to these threads.

9. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Adair, Berson and Allison

I dare anyone to find a player that played 4 years for Trevor Adair or Mark Berson that doesn't hold them in the highest regard as a coach, mentor, and friend. I would think that 95% of Allison's players would be the same also.

Guys that stay for 4 years stay there for a reason. They have a strong character and don't go running at the first sign of adversity. People that get out usually have over-inflated egos who think they should be playing or discipline problems that give coaches no problem.

10. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I never said they played a chrismass tree. They played something else. I am not critisizing the Furman program so I wonder if you think I am and are just agreeing with me. I disagree with your first post on the christmass tree. If you were at the game and know soccer then you would recognize the system and know it's common name. What was it?

11. USSoccerFan#1

USSoccerFan#1 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Let me just say this....after the tragedy of last year, Coach Allison focused more on having fun on the field and didnt worry too much about formations, strategy, oppenents, etc.... Most pregame talks were the same "Just go out and play for those who arent here". We didnt concentrate on what the other team had, but how we would play, and that worked. Im sure it is different this year as the program has to move on from the past, however, Im sure Coach Allison has remembered what worked last year, and is not too worried about switching formations or playing style to adapt to the team he is playing against. Also, after the tragedy, Coach didnt really have the desire to go on the road and recruit during the year, because he was more worried about his current players and their emotions. That is why he probably didnt get the recruiting class he wanted. Im not knocking the guys he got, and Im sure they are players who will produce for the program, but that is why you dont see the big, high profile names you have in the past.

12. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    The truth comes out from USsoccerfan...

So after all this time you finally admit that you played for Furman. I can now understand why you took all my shots at Furman personally. I respect your program and though it is no Clemson or USC it has done well considering.

As for last year, there is no bigger tragedy than the loss of a young man. Nobody can understand the loss more than his family and friends but I think your team played for him more than buried themselves in sorrow. You should have beaten Stanford so it was without doubt one of the most successful seasons on record.

I don't think it is fair to say the tragedy of last year has had any effect on this years recruiting, only the loss of 2 quality players. I had always heard classy things about Allison until the last few years, maybe the pressure is getting to him.

You need to lighten up about things, especially about your school. Defend them like you should but don't pretend that you are too mature for good old fashioned trash talking.

13. USSoccerFan#1

USSoccerFan#1 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I have always said I played for Furman. As far as defending them, I have from the standpoint that I actually know about the program. Its just annoying when somebody who is a fan from another school, who has admitted to never playing college ball, has bad mouthed a program that you know so little about. You can go to the games and sit in the stands, but until you actually go through summer workouts, preseason, practices, locker room meetings, etc....then dont say you know this and that about the team. I am trying to be mature about this board because of people like you.

14. Veteran Observer

Veteran Observer New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Thanks for the insight

Thanks to US Fan#1 and dragon for the insightful commentary on Furman and their recent troubles - you can always tell the guys who have some actual inside information from the supporters - and detractors - who are just here to rant.

15. Veteran Observer

Veteran Observer New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    I see no one's answered you - so let me. Scott is a big, strong, hard-working center-forward type who uses his body well and can always be counted on to create problems for defenders. He may not be the most skillful player on the team, but he's one of the most effective. He is also a quality individual on a personal level, and, given the many attitude problems coaches often face, I think he's the kind of guy most coaches would like to have on their squads. In my view, he probably deserves more credit than he gets for his contributions to the team.

16. dragon

dragon Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Scott and other items

If there is one type of player all teams need, it is a scott hoch. He is very unselfish and demonstrates high quality in the game of soccer.
    My reply to USfan1 is he must not know much about Allison's desires to go "on the road" recruiting. HE HATES IT and really wants someone else to do it: even though Leese is totally inept at evaluating players and their potential. Herein lies the problem with the program for the future. Quality has already started to deminish and it will continue. Furman's run at the Southern Conf. titles will probably come to an end as Greensboro, Coastal,Charleston, Davidson rise. I hope not but I'll wager I'm right. Three of the largest youth soccer tournaments in America last year were not attended by Furman reps. and that isn't good for recruiting which must always go forward. I'm sure you don't know the inner working of the program.
    I am glad your trying to be mature but you need to step back and realize that maybe there are some problems and they shouldn't be ignored.

17. USSoccerFan#1

USSoccerFan#1 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    It is true that Scott Hoch does not recieve the credit that he deserves. He has improved every year and since he arrived at Furman, has constantly been the work horse and done the dirty work that John Barry and Sergei Raad did not want to do. He IS the only player in the attack that can be counted on to score the big goal and give 120% no matter what.
    Coastal is also not in the Southern Conf. But it is true that Furman will not go through the Conf. as easily as it has in the past. Every team knows that they now have a chance against them, and will be trying to be the one to break the unbeaten streak. UNCG will be a tough match, as they have shown that they can play this year with a big win over VCU.
    I do not know how much Coach Allison likes to go on the road, since I was only a player. However, I have talked with him before about certain players that I know from ODP, my club teams, etc...so I know he does have an interest. There has to be a reason that for the past 3 years Furman has been in the top 5 for recruiting, and if it is not Coach Allison then what is it? The beautiful campus, the academics, the hot girls.....at this level of play, I doubt any true soccer player gives a damn about that. I dont think it had anything to do with the assisstant coach at the time. Lets just leave it at that.
    As for being mature, I was with "sheeplover", who we should all know is just trying to be obnoxius. I dont want to stoop down to his level. And I do know that Furman is having major problems at the moment, I never said they werent. I dont think they are being ignored by alumni, players, parents, and coaches either. Ive talked with many players and with coach, and they all say that they know what they have to do, its just a matter of getting it done. Lets hope they can, because this weekend is going to be a tough one at the Clemson Tournament.

18. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    The truth.....

I hate to say it USsoccerfan but unfortunately I have indeed faced the Purple Paladins and have 4 wins against your team while I played.

As mature as you think you are, the bottom line is that Furman has problems in all areas yet all people associated with the team or program think they are amongst the elite which they aren't and have never been.

One good run in 1999 doesn't constitute a dominant program or even a consistent one. There are no good teams in the Southern Conference which allows Furman to rest players for big out of conference games and get themselves ready mentally for big games.

Furman is a good team, no denying that but they have problems now that they may not rebound from.

19. Higgi's an Idiot

Higgi's an Idiot New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    TEXAS
    Re: Scott and other items

You know, you keep saying that you're not, but funny that you say "you'll wager" that you're right. Along with a lot of other clues that are leading people to believe that you're Ryan Higginbotham.

Just fess up Higgi! Anyway, FIXXXER, are there not any Clemson boards that you can permanently adhere yourself to. Must suck that Furman fans are much more passionate that Clemson fans. I think you've actually secretly become a fan of Furman. Come on, you can admit it.

20. dragon

dragon Member

Sep 8, 2003
    The real truth is that I'm not RH and its funny that you'all keep accusing me of being him; not that he didn't do a half bad job playing or coaching there. Reviewing the Yearbooks indicate to me his approach may have been alright. I'm not here to tout his record, all I'm saying is that the program is going down and it went up before now. There had to be a reason for the change. Now it appears to me many of you'all know the change has occurred but don't want to find out why. I could be Bubba and it wouldn't matter because what I say is correct. Sorry but recruiting is what good teams are about and since this past year wasn't very good, I'll have to look to the 3 years before that. Then it becomes very evident what was different then----than now. All I'm saying the proof is in the making and it has shown on the field. By the way, "wagering" is my way of saying I believe I'm right until proven wrong. Clues can be lead into many different directions.

21. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Dragon you are clueless...RH embarrassed the program and himself. His track record was marred with lies, deceit, and irresponsibility that set a poor example for his players. The real shame was that he had some redeeming qualities that could have helped him in the pursuit of a head coaching position. Many went out of there way to help him later to be burned themselves.

One has to admit he has a problem before any healing can take place.

Furman is fortunate to be rid of his cancer.

22. dragon

dragon Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Sorry musicbox, been away from all that too long. Didn't know what had happened(still don't) but easy to see program rise during his time and then fall afterward. Maybe you know alot more than the rest of us.

23. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I will reply with an analogy. Clinton took credit for a booming economy during the 90's. While he was the sitting Pres. at the time it would be a stretch to say he was the cause. To RH's credit, he should be proud of the team's performance during his tempestous tenure. He certainly played a role. Claiming credit for it seems a bit fictious. Gore tried to do the same thing when he claimed he invented the internet.....

24. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    So after something like seven games with a poor start the program is in decline? Um, I doubt that. I'll wait a couple of years before making that judgement. That would be like saying after Clemson finished second to last in the ACC last year then lost to NC state this year that they are in decline. I think we could all agree that it's a little early to be making generalizations.

PS - You two sets of fans need to watch out for Coastal this weekend.

25. dragon

dragon Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Again, and this gets old; Not knowing RH personally; it sure looks like he had alot to do with the players that came in. I do know this---They were and are quality,dynamic,exciting soccer players to watch play the game and those type of players weren't there before his time. Anyway we'll have to watch this weekend because Libscomb certainly was cause for overjoy, all is saved.