New Frisco pictures

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ElJefe, Sep 22, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, at the Fan Appreciation Party after the Burn game this past Saturday night, there was a couple of placards with new artist's renderings of the Frisco stadium. They were also showing a promotional video about the stadium that the team is tweaking and will be sending to season ticket holders and sponsors here in the coming weeks.

I took some really crappy pictures with my cheesy $10 digital camera. If you want to see them, go to the Burn forum. However, today I happened upon some high-quality pictures that had fallen off a truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of words about these pictures:

THESE PICTURES ARE NOT FINAL. I was told that they're about "75% final." They represent the ideal stadium with everything in there that they want. However, once the beancounters get a hold of it, they might do some cutting here and there in things we might notice and things we might notice. (For example, they might not make the locker rooms as nice.) But if they're showing these pictures publicly at Burn fan event, then they're obviously pretty confident that the final product is going to be fairly close.

Still, if for some reason, the roof (for example) isn't in there when all is said and done, it's not because Hunt Sports Group was jerking us around, but because they had to cut it to make the numbers work.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, one more thing:

According to a Burn staffer at the party, prep work has begun at the site, even though the official groundbreaking isn't for another month or so.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    am i the only one who doesn't see a tunnel for players to get to the locker rooms? i don't suppose they'd have to run up the hill?

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are those buildings there in the top picture, looks like a prison

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It appears to me that there is a little tunnel at the corner of the stadium opposite the roof and close to the "grassy knoll". You can see it in both angles.

I like this better than HDC simply because it appears to be an all-seater and the front row is a lot lower. The limited roof is not as exciting, but hopefully the loudest fans will sit underneath it.:)

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish the roof was a little bigger, but otherwise, outstanding.

Can't wait to visit.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Silly--those are military parade grounds. Staging areas for Frisco Incident Command to polish its jackboots before they stomp unruly soccer fans and unwanted "urban" types into the searing Texas asphalt.

8. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was hoping to get an answer for someone who is from the area or and familiar with the site and the grounds and or why would they draw those silly buildings like that, i am curious ok?

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks nice! What's the capacity going to be?

10. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That model is amazingly detailed.

The stadium is almost entirely empty...

and all the play seems to be on one side of the field... I guess thats the side the Burn are defending.

11. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I have not been to Frisco in a long time, but I think that's the general layout of the new downtown Frisco/business district. It's new urbanism with some modifications for Texan's genetic attachment to their cars.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are showing generic buildings because they don't have any specific plans or tennants for those future building areas. There is a major office/governmental/housing development across Main Street that is already being built. The Burn Stadium was a recent deal and they have spent their time on the stadium proper. I'm sure there will be more time spent on those areas once the stadium design is finalized.

13. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need a more complete roof system. Surely, the verdict is in and it screams build the roof for atmosphere.......

14. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks nice. Congrats to all the Burn fans if it gets built like that. In Texas I assume you don't need a lot of roof on the stadium. Although maybe as protection from the sun.

15. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I know we don't have to do everything like they do it in England, but one thing I really like watching some Premiership games is the player's tunnel that is right in the middle of the main stands. It seems pretty cool when the starting players emerge from there so close to the fans and immediately line up. I wish some stadiums in MLS would have the players enter that way... Maybe I can talk Peter Wilt into incorporating that into the Fire stadium...

16. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

I don't see why they would do that in new stadiums. It would seem that you would have to get rid of some expensive midfield seats to put a tunnel in when you could just get rid of cheap corner seats and put the tunnel there.

17. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    HDC has a major flaw for an SSS: the seats are much farther from the sidelines than they need to be.

Presumably, this is to fit more Dave Matthews fans on the pitch. Or Anshutz is going to join Murdoch and promote rugby.

What I like about this design is that extra space is there, but it's behind one goal. Better still, it looks like bleachers could be fitted in there and spectators can sit on the hill.

Lastly, what says "Dallas" better than a grassy knoll?

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Is that a small secondary stadium in the background of the second picture? It looks like there are bleachers on the practice field right behind the main stadium.

And I agree with Noah - It's Lalas Hill at HDC and the Grassy Knoll in Dallas. :)

19. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think two must haves for any stadium are at least a small roof over one side and the players tunnel in the middle.

i'd also like to see some standing room area.

20. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ElJefe, what are you hearing about the ratio of benches to individual seats? The pictures are vague enough that they could put in all benches.

21. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Havent any of you thought the reason for not having a complete roof is that the stadium was designed with cheap expansion in mind?

22. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the people in Dallas are not still too sensitive about that event in '63 to call it the Grassy Knoll?
    I doubt the fans would be but I doubt the local media would refer to it as the Grassy Knoll.

The plans look great. Can't wait to watch the construction pics as they progress like we did for the HDC. :)

23. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Exactly. The only flaw that HDC has is that there is about 10 yards of unneeded space on the sidelines. How wide could you possibly make the field? Imagine if the stands were right up to the touchline. Absolutely electric atmosphere, because the fans would then truly be over the field. I hope Hunt realizes that, and builds the stadium with that in mind. Like others, I wish there a roof over the thing, but you take what you can get. Who knows what the Metros stadium is going to look like, but the Fire stadium is def. going to be the most traditional socccer stadium in America I bet, because of Peter Wilt.

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you want it to take at least some skill to be able to hit Sigi.

25. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen stadiums where the players came out from underground tunnel and not take away from any sitting