New forum tagline

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    These are the finalists. Main criteria was suggestions that got positive responses in the nomination thread. In some cases, I slightly edited choices. In cases in which there were multiple similar candidates, I usually took the first, unless a latter version got a better response. I wanted to keep the final poll down to a manageable 10 candidates, so unfortunately some ones with potential were left out.

We'll leave this up a week, or less if interest wanes. Mods will not be undoing votes for people who change their minds, so think about your selection.

(For those unfamiliar with what a tagline is, it's a slogan that appears under the name "San Jose Earthquakes" on the list of MLS team forums.)

EDIT: One more thing. If there is an outright winner in this poll, it's the new tagline. If two nominees are close (ie, within 5% or so), we'll consider a runoff like a couple years ago (ugh).

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    And there all the choices are?

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    They should be there now. There's a stupid bug in BigSoccer that creates a new thread before you've entered the poll options.

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We're your daddy in odd years" reeks of smack... :D

Gotta have fun with that. Cheers!

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those are some good choices. it was tough picking just one.

6. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Almost voted for "MLS Cup Champions, 2001, 2003", but that seemed too much like living in the past. "Will you be our I/O" just says current-issues in a sadly commical but "never give up" kind of way.

...and no way I'm talking heroin with people until I'm sure the team will be around a bit more...

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, do we have to pick just one? Can we frustrate the BS uber-mods by dropping in 3 or 4 of these in a 2 or 3 line tagline? Or will they just quickly reject it anyway? The way I see it, if this is going to be our last year (which of course it isn't, so why did I just write that?), we shouldn't be holding back ideas. How about something like:

"MLS Cup Champions, 2001 & 2003, the only team undefeated in MLS Cup finals. Houston, my ass. So, will you be my I/O?"

8. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston my Ass, hands down.

9. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'd vote for this! :D (if I hadn't already voted)

10. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    That got my vote, too. The first one is living in the past, like already mentioned. The other's sort of ask for help from others....that's what we have SSV for, I don't want people's pitty unless they are gonna put some money down with it.

This one just has that attitude like....."this is my team, and it is here in San Jose. They can try to take it, but they aren't gonna get....because of course, being a loyal Quakes fan, I believe, and I will NEVER GIVE UP!" :D

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like the I/O one. Brevity is the soul of wit.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Cup Champions, 2001 & 2003 option isn't "living in the past". The Quakes still are the 2001 & 2003 MLS Cup Champions, which wasn't even that long ago. ;)

Don't forget that the chosen tagline will be the forum's tagline for at least a year, as I doubt that we'll be going through this whole process again anytime before that. Unlike most of the other choices (particularly the ones begging for new management or an I/O), the Champions tagline will still be relevant even if the I/O and/or stadium issue is resolved within the next 2-3 months, which could very likely happen.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

13. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

"Houston, my ass." is brief.....and it got my vote too! :D

14. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I liked this one: "You can have our Quakes when you pry them from our cold, smurfy hands."....I don't like the "smurfy" part...."cold blue hands" would have sold it for me. That's what inspired my "Houston, my ass" work of art!:D

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Erased post

Whoa - was that offensive? I actualy thought it was a good idea, given some editing for brevity's sake.

As for our "Smurfy" hands - I think we can disarm the enemy by embracing our smurfness. Smurfs are cool in a retro/euro/stoner kinda way. Smurfs are blue. The smurf village is a backwater. And smurfs are the little guys up against that evil AEG official Gargamel, threatening to pull the plug.

Guess that makes Lalas Azrael. Can anyone point me to reality?

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Erased post

Hey look! It's Landon!
    [​IMG]

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the smurf bit too! I think it's funny that calling us smurfs is about the best the evil, cheating, smog-breathing, water-stealing, league-favored, poser galaxative fans can do! Like their town, they suck!
    :D

LONG LIVE THE QUAKES!!

- Mark

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Not on my watch.

Uhhh....no....they're not.

Yes.

:confused:

Someone has been spending too many saturday mornings in front of the tele.

Again....:confused:

19. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I'm not into the smack style tag cuz that's what motivated this thread in the first place.....people didn't like that our tag was being used against us......so the "we're your daddy" one could bite us....after all, next year is "odd".

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    LDB -

1. I expect our taste for the quakes is one of the few we share, and I'm okay with that.

2. You're the living dead boy, of course your hands are cold and blue.

21. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Thanks for the new desktop G.

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    That can't be true.....I like Onstad, you like Ons......oh...wait, I see your point. :D ......well, still....your tag-line suggestion was almost my fav.

23. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he(she?) said.

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... but of course I voted for "Houston, my ass" because it's so much like my "custom user description".
    :D

25. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Commissioner Don Gargamel? :D