New England @ DC Sunday, 9/9/07 Pre-Game/In-Game/Etc... Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dozerman, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dozerman

dozerman Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Dec 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What: New England Revolution at DC United
    When: September 9th, 3PM EDT
    Where: Estadio RFK
    TV: Telefutura, CSN (7PM, Tape Delay)
    Radio: 1180AM

This game has major implications both in Eastern Standings and the race for the Supporters Shield. The guys over on the NE boards aren't looking particularly optimistic about this one.

We're coming off a long road trip and are tired. Starters? Doomsday scenarios? Bad Juju? Lets hear it!

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The team needs to carbo load or something...gotta keep that energy level up.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What a strange game. If we're not in the lead by the hour mark, we might end up falling short simply because of the fatigue factor.

Lately we've been scoring lots of goals in the first 15 minutes. I don't rate NE's defense very highly outside Reis and Parkhurst so it would be nice to continue the early scoring trend.

I also don't rate their midfield very highly, but that was before Ralston's return. Ralston is responsible for 80% of the positive football on the team with Shalrie responsible for the other 20%. Deny them posession and NE is a predictable long ball team.

Twellman is dangerous. All he needs is one chance, and he always manages to get at least one shot off even when playing like crap. All that means is that this team will be dangerous no matter what. They should be extra motivated to avenge last month's 3-0 and to reclaim the SS lead.

4. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't discount Nicols' (sic) historical penchant for having the revs peak for the playoffs. Their starting point has typically been Labor Day.

We owe NE for making us settle for a draw the first time they were here. I hope we beat them. I don't care about the score -- 1 nil is fine for me, as long as the good guys are the ones taking home the three.

GM

5. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a linuep I would like to see

Perkins
    Namoff McTavish Boswell Burch
    Simms
    Olsen Fred
    Gomez/Dyachenko
    Emilio Moreno/Kpene

I'd like to see Vanney sit because he has played 90 minutes for several games straight so that fatigue might make him more suceptible to Twellman and/or Noonan.

Gomez and Jaime have played a lot the past few games so it might be beneficial to either take them out early or bring them in later.

My prediction 2-1 DC

6. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone here hate new engerland? Jay Heaps? Anyone here hate Jay Heaps? What about Matt Ries? Strong feelings on that one?

My hate springs eternal and fresh like the splitting of the first atom or the birth of the first sun.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yes

Hell yes.

Who? Oh, wait, wait, wait for it ... YESSSS!!

YESSS oh dear God yes.

Hallelujah brother. Atom is a Iriquois word for New England's asshole, so yes I'm all about DC splitting the atom on Sunday.

8. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland

I would like to walk up to Jay Heaps, look him in the eyes, and kick him square in the balls... if he had any

9. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Dammit! Abbey? Shit, there goes home field advantage in the East.

If anyone from MLS is reading these boards, pay attention: I just changed my plans and will not be attending because I refuse to pay good money to go watch Abbey screw a match.

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's biased; I think he's just terrible. As I put it in a conversation over in the Refs forum after that awful match he called against Dallas in the 2005 USOC, he makes matches not fun to watch.

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby Normal, good Lord! As far as refs go, that man is 10 pounds of shit in a five pound bag. :(

13. TowsonDad

TowsonDad BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 1, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hate-Yes, that reminds me-hate for Heaps (that clutching, grabbing, fouling, whining xxit). He's a perfect representative for that franchise.

Hate for Shalrie and all the rest of the NE xxits that have, as one person said, perfected the tactic of fouling after the ball has been passed. I'm sure Abbey will overlook all that.

Let's take it out of Abbey's incompetent hands, score early and often, and send these wankers back to Boston in our rear view mirror.

Vamos United

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think Burch might be crazy enough to take out Heaps. Marc has shown a nasty streak, might as well put it to good use.

15. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. UNITED

OUT: F Jamil Walker (Achilles rupture); M Josh Gros (concussion); GK Shawn Crowe (meniscus tear).

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION OUT: M Joe Franchino (R peroneal tendon surgery).

DOUBTFUL: D Marshall Leonard (R hamstring strain); M Wells Thompson (R ankle sprain).

QUESTIONABLE: F Taylor Twellman (flu-like symptoms); D Jay Heaps (L calf strain); M Miguel Gonzales (R groin strain).

PROBABLE: F Pat Noonan (R groin strain).

Both Twellman and Dook spawn are questionable. I bet they'll both find their way to fitness by tomorrow.

16. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    OUT: F Jamil Who??????

I'm afraid we are going to miss Josh in this game. Question is, who else can we drop into the midfield and keep up the performance level? Ben, Gomito and Fred could all use a break. Carroll could spell Simms but normally does not play well against Joseph. Can Kpene give us significant minutes for Jaime and let Jaime play supersub? Devon on for either Vanney or Boz. Namoff and Burch will have to suck it up.
    While I feel we will be competitive for this game, 20 minutes of good soccer is not going to do it.

Emilio - Kpene
    Fred - Gomito - Mediate
    Simms
    Burch-Boz-Devon-Namoff
    Troy

If needed, Jaime for Kpene 2nd half or Carroll for Kpene if we are ahead later. Ben for Fred and push Mediate to the left side. Dychenko for Gomito if he is more gassed than Fred or takes one too many after the ball hits from Joseph. TS has really got to manage this game to keep his side as sharp as possible and have the freshest legs on the field.

Just don't want to see the frustration on the field like Thursday.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much just like the NFL, "doubtful" means you'll come in as a sub, "questionable" means you start ;) Other than "out", the injury list is stupid.

We have every reason to fear this game.
    We just came off disappointing, had-to-work-way-too-hard tie way out in L.A.
    NE plays well in RFK
    NE has revenge for 3-0 spanking at their house on their mind
    We look tired
    NE has had a light schedule the past two weeks, we have not

So, I expect United to totally surprise us die-hard worriers and kick their sorry, sorry butts again 3-0 :)

18. I_Eat_CBRs

I_Eat_CBRs New Member

May 26, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I sure do wish this game had a 7pm kickoff so I could jump on the metro from Largo after the Redskins game...

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

20. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hate Heaps of Shit, Joseph , and Twellman. Reis is a higher order of hatred. These are our real enemies -- this is a top of the table six-pointer with 6 games to go after this.

IF YOU CAN"T BRING IT FOR 90 MINUTES FOR THIS GAME WHAT ARE YOU SAVING IT FOR??????

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Um, he doesn't have that much shit together...

22. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    peroneal...isn't that that place between pu**y and a**hole?:p

23. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I think Fred is a better #10 than Dyachenko, he should sub in for Gomez at halftime, put Moose/Mediate/De Roux out wide in the second half and let them run at Heaps et al. The key to limiting NE's attack is to make them play the whole field and defend us on the sides- we didn't do this well in the 1-1 tie, and it will keep Ralston from dominating on offense like he usually does.
    Personally, if we have a lead by the 60th minute, I would take Fred off too, he has been playing a lot of minutes himself and is in the same predicament as Emilio (he didn't have an off-season so has been going for 12 months now) and we don't want him burning out. I guess we can put Dyachenko in the middle then, but he doesn't push the offense and I am disappointed in him this year. If Marc Burch is hot, he will be a big x-factor for us, as the more we stretch NE's back four out and attack with variety, the easier our chances will come, and Emilio will bury them if he gets them. His goals would've beaten Chivas had Razov's butt not turned the momentum around. I like McTavish's emergence, I think he will do well to bottle up Twellman with more athleticism vs the physcal presence that Boswell brings, which can more easily be interpreted as a foul when Twellman dives and screams for his mommy.

We have to play Toronto three days after this game, so we will definitely be fatigued by then. If we hit the wall in the second half, I don't think there is that much to lose by giving our guys rest and punting this game and having enough energy to wipe the field with TFC.

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Fixed your post.

25. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Unless he's injured I'm pretty sure we'll see Jaime start rather than appear as a supersub.

After all, he is being honored as the league's all time goalscorer before the game.

But we gotta keep rotating the lineup so hopefully Kpene can sub on for him early in the 2nd half.

Dorman, Noonan, Cristman, and Ralston all make contributions but the only NE forward that really bothers me is Twellman, he's been hot and always seems to find space at some point to do some damage. Hopefully Perkins got the brainfarts out of his system in California because after Twellman, their most dangerous weapon has been the long Mendes to Conway backpass.

Anyone expect to see the new Rev from the U20 World Cup? He's from Gambia which is a narrow, skinny country but the game report from the Open Cup game midweek said he was burly.