New Clean Sheet

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Sep 11, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not worth it. (Well, I enjoy reading anything MLS so take that for what it's worth.) Easily the worst Clean Sheet of all time IMHO.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/tcs0911.html

I think all these guys are having trouble writing an interesting WEEKLY column. Either there aren't enough teams in the league and hence not enough stories, or the league's playoff run is structured in such a way that there's really no story there, so there's nothing interesting on that front either.

Or they're just regearing for the strech run, and (e)mailed it in this week.

He seemed fixated on Dema, but he didn't even crack a DC/Salvadoran joke, or pick up on Donovan's comments earlier in the week.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    i thought it was pretty damned funny personally i thought the whole column was a riot. although i don't like all of their tendancy to write "i couldn't think of anything to write" its awfully ameraturish.

you might be right about the MLS playoff schedual, however it could just be a factor of the season. with all the parity and the playoff schedual it does make ir a bit ho hum this time of year as teams really aren't exactly comepeting for playoff positioning yet. i just think that part of the reason is though there are pretty clearly formed lines of who's good and who's not this year.

San Jose and Chicago are clearly a step above everybody else. You've got Dallas that's clearly horriable, New England underpreforming like it's their job and not looking to turn it around at any point. Metrostars are begining to heat up and pull away. But everyone else is just kinda about where they should be, about where you'd expect them to be at this point after having seen them so many times. The only two really interesting teams to me right now are ones that have started to turn it around a bit, LA and DC. Can DC with Convey back make a little run at something, are they starting to gell? Can LA get their road self in gear and shake off the pre-HDC blues? Other than that you have a KC team that's coming back to earth a little bit.

Kind of strikes me as odd though. Two exhabitions in the last week or so against national teams, two wins and no real mention. I know neither of those games were exactly must see affairs but... don't those wins strike you as at least a bit signifigant?

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe you're right. maybe my humor meter was off when i read it. it was definitely the refrain of "see how i have nothing write about" that was getting to me.

4. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Code:
    Eastern Conference        GP   W   L   T PTS  GF  GA  STREAKS LAST 10
    Chicago Fire              23  11   5   7  40  40  31  Tied  1  5-2-3
    MetroStars                22   9   6   7  34  32  28  Won   1  3-2-5
    D.C. United               22   8   8   6  30  29  27  Won   1  6-4-0
    Columbus Crew             23   7   9   7  28  29  31  Tied  1  2-4-4
    New England Revolution    23   6   9   8  26  38  40  Lost  1  1-6-3

Western Conference        GP   W   L   T PTS  GF  GA  STREAKS LAST 10
    San Jose Earthquakes      23  12   4   7  43  34  24  Won   1  6-2-2
    Colorado Rapids           23  10   9   4  34  30  32  Won   2  8-1-1
    Kansas City Wizards       23   7   8   8  29  37  34  Lost  2  2-6-2
    Los Angeles Galaxy        23   7   8   8  29  28  26  Lost  1  5-3-2
    Dallas Burn               23   4  15   4  16  24  48  Lost  3  2-8-0

If you look at the standings over the last ten games, DC has actually been the hottest team in the east (earning 18 points versus Chicago's 17). The Metros have actually struggled a bit, and the Revs are, well, stone cold (worse over the last 10 games than Dallas).

In the West LA does seem ready to make a run with KC fading. And while San Jose has been a pretty dominant team, Colorado (8-1-1 in their last ten matches!) are the hottest team in MLS..

5. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    W-L-T

Since Americans insist on the W-L-T convention, rather than the more sensible W-T-L format, you need to look at the first and last numbers. Chicago has 5 wins and 3 ties in the last ten. That is equal to DC's 18 points from 6 wins and no ties.

6. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Re: W-L-T

Dote! You are right sir.
    Thanks.

I do think it's interesting though, that all the hullaballoo surrounding Chicago's "dominance" in the East (a lot of that established on a home field with appoximately the same dimensions as a stick of fruit-striped gum), DC has actually played just as well over the short stretch.

7. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Re: Re: W-L-T

Fire: 2 loses.
    DC: 4 loses.

8. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Re: Re: W-L-T

The things is, speaking as a DCU fan, they've not looked as convincing as the Fire.

Totally subjective? Yes. Impact on people's perceptions? Probably.

That said, DC is certainly getting their key players back and seem to be putting together a more cohesive attack in the last couple of games (friendly against ElSal and early against LA).

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Re: Re: Re: W-L-T

Very good.

DC: 6 wins.
    Fire: 5 wins.

And BTW, seven of those ten Chicago games were played at home on The Bocce Grounds of Naperville, where the Fire's record was 4 - 1 - 2.

In three road games, the Fire went 1 - 1 - 1.

Not really making judgements either way, just file it away under FWIW.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defining stat in the East may be the "Streak."

Everybody, W, L, or T, has a "1".

It's gonna be a fun ride.

11. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me when they win a road game, then I will believe they are ready for some kind of run.

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Re: W-L-T

Half full, half empty ;)

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I beg to differ

"THE NEWS: Hearing rumors of a player move in Quakes-land.

TCS SAYS: Apparently San Jose is nearing a deal to sign Tie Domi. TCS sources say Landon Donovan has said he will pay all of Domi’s contract."

While I don't really follow hockey I know that Domi is an enforcer so couple that with what Landon said and he picked it up.

14. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    WRITE ABOUT THE RACE FOR THE SUPPORTER'S SHIELD!!!!

How exciting is this race? San Jose up one game on Chicago with 7 games to go. With the MetroStars two games back with a game in hand. Not everybody focuses on the Shield race, I for one am a big fan of it, but at least its better than the inane drivel of this week's column.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fight the power, Tino!

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New Clean Sheet

You're right. I forgot who Tie Domi is. Went right over my head.

D'oh!

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great idea.

Give the Shield as much play as possible and make it as important an honor as is doable.