New car suggestions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mad_Bishop, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm (hopefully) in the market for a new car (or slightly used, more likely).

Top considerations at this point are a
    '02-'03 Focus ZX3 SVT
    '03-'05 Focus ZX3/5
    '05 Scion TC

personal considerations:
    - 40mi commute per day (good MPG)
    - 240mi trip once or twice a month
    - Missouri winters (FWD or AWD)
    - Just my wife and I. Two door is fine, backseat is relatively unimportant
    - Won't buy another AT. Manual a must. 6sp. is preferable
    - looking to spent at most $15K
    - I own a project/beater CRX, but will probably have to sacrifice it for the greater good. Entry level performance is not a must, but will help with the separation anxiety.

what do you guys think?

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get the SVT. You can easily beat that cost restriction, and it's hella fun to drive. I almost bought a used 2002, but they severely lowballed me on the trade-in on my 1997 A4. I "pipped" the tires accidentally pulling out of the lot on my test drive. (OK, the pavement was wet, but still...) Good, solid handling, nice power. I never got up to speed - so I don't know what driving a 6-speed is like. I only tested it on city streets. I don't recall the milage specs off the top of my head.

Another benefit - there is a tuner market, if that's your bag.

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    yeah I really love the SVT, I nearly drove one off the lot in '02. I really want performance, but money is tight, so it's getting harder to justify spending the extra money. Honestly the tuner supprt is kinda important to me (but not really my wife). I would like to eventually do autocross or timetrial, but we're talking 36 or 48 months in the future ( I refues to mod a car I still owe on). SVT and tC have very similar numbers regarding performance.

- The ZX3/5 has available turbo packages (don't fit the SVT)
    - Scion tC has an available TRD Supercharger.

Dare I suggest a Hyundai Tiburon? It carries essentiallially the same 2.7l engine that's in my Acura Legend and weighs about 1/2 less. It's rather ugly though.

Anyone know marett values on used Mini Coopers or GTi's?

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The V6 really moves.

Nope. I have sat in a Cooper, and if you are big it's a tight fit. There is no way I could have fit in there with my helmet on for autocrossing. I've pretty much determined that I can't have a sunroof in any car I wish to autocross - I just don't fit. In my Audi, my head was literally rubbing against the roof with the helmet on.

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
  6. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    new GTis would run ya at least 20k.

might be able to find one thats 2 or 3 years old with decent mileage for 15k or less.

7. MatadorCE

MatadorCE New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    TX
    Between the two Foci and the Tc, I would personally go for the Tc. I would certainlty go for a Tc if I were to replace my daily driver. Lots of standard options, and aftermarket parts are available if you get the "itch" again. Plus you can't go wrong with Toyota reliability.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I own a '01 Focus SE Sport...the four door sedan. I had a couple of recalls, but nothing major.

I think the '05's have the option of getting a bigger engine (2.3 liter v 2.0 liter) and I think it's being called a Duratec. Errr the more I think about it...I swear I thought I read that the Zetec (which I have) is being phased out. Ehh...I could be wrong.

I do love my Focus and it would definately be at the top of my list if I was shopping around for an econo car...along with a Mazda 3.

Tell you what though...I've seen a couple of those Scion's TC's running around...those are NICE and from what I've read...they are relatively cheap.

Foci's are getting to be real big amongst the tuner crowd...probably not as big as Hondas, but they do have a presence.

If you are really interested into delving into anything Foci related...visit FocalJet.com.

---------

My car is automatic with the 2.0 liter engine. In normal weather I am getting between 30-33 mpg. When it's colder, it drops to high 20s to around 30 mpg.

For several winters I swapped out the regular tires and put on a set of Blizzaks for winter. Except for one morning when the entire valley seemed to be covered in ice...she performed fine.

My commute is about 80 miles a day Monday through Friday. My Ford Escape is used more cuz I haul around my road/mtn. bikes, but I do wish I could be driving the Focus more regularly instead of only a couple of times a week.

If I were you, I'd go after the ZX3 cuz that what alot of Foci owners who run Auto-X are using...I think it has to do with it being better balanced and thus better handling.

9. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    test drove the tC today. Handled pretty good, the refinment was pretty impressive for the price, but they only had an auto on the lot. I'm not very tall (5'9") but the headroom is really small. My wife is 6' and I don't know if she'll fit. Plus, they seem to want to charge right at MSRP and above, so it kinda breaks my budget (what I'd want runs $16-17K). The TRD exhaust sounds really fantastic. I half expected it to sound like a fart can. I really like the looks, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to swing it.

Gonna look at a '02 GTi and a '03 ZX3 (both are auto's unfortunatly) tommorow, but it looks like I may have to take a trip into KC or St. Louis to find what I want. There doesn't seem to be anything I want in any of the used lots around here

The Mazda 3 is a great suggestion, as I really thought they looked promising, but I can't find any dealers that have any, even after looking online for dealers in KC and StL

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    An off topic question.

Do hybrids only come with automatic transmission?

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i'm pretty sure they do... i would think that it would have to be something special to be manual... but then again, i could be wrong

12. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    drove the GTi today. '02 1.8T. Turned out to be a 5 speed after all. It was nice, but the lot wants a lot more than I'm willing to pay. The previous owner did god knows what to it. It's krauted out pretty good, on 18" Volks, aftermarket exhaust and tails. all of which are ugly as hell. For what it would cost me used with 30K miles I could get the new Scion with the TRD exhaust and 18" wheel package. I'll hopefully hear back from toyota financial tommorow, but I think I'm going with the tC. If the financing falls through then I'll probably end up with a used Focus. A local lot here has a SE sport with a manual for about half of the tC.

13. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    If you want good mileage, forget the Turbocharger - I've got a hotted-up SEAT (220 BHP) with twin intercoolers to the TC and the fcuking thing drinks it like it's going out of business - average 21mpg around town!

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Audi was turbocharged, and when I drove "soft", and virtually never engaged the turbo, I got good mileage. But when I hammered on the loud petal, I could practically see the gas gauge dropping in real time.

15. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    My TC kicks in at 1500 rpm, so it's working all the time, other than at idle - gives remarkable acceleration, but don't even go near the trip computer for a reading, it's off the scale :(