New Bradley "Insider"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Pareja is not a playmaker per se. But Vaca
    does not line up in an interior role; the Burn
    line up like this:

Pareja
    Chivas Vaca
    Deering

Chivas doesn't do much creating as far
    as seeing the field; his strengths are
    getting wide, then taking you on or
    crossing. Great 1-v-1, good passing,
    ok crossing, crap D, mediocre finishing.
    First goals of the year came two weeks ago.
    Chivas' game has been elevated significantly
    by the emergence of Paul Broome who
    The Bruce should be drooling over to
    give a run out.

Pareja has an everywhere-on-the-pitch
    when-the-opposition-least-expects-it workrate
    reminiscent of Tom Dooley for the Nats in the
    mid 90's before Armas' emergence. Just that
    Pareja lines up in the wheelhouse instead of
    at D-Mid, where Deering seems to have found
    a home. In years past, both Pareja and Deering
    were on the board more, and both seem to have
    consciously dialed it down with attempts from
    range per the direction of one Mr. Jeffries.
    Pareja's drop in "creativity" is likely most
    attributable to the system and style
    instituted by Mike Jeffries which has become
    extremely consistent week in, week out. (It's
    only failing is it's inability to compensate for
    Spartan Stadium & the opponent playing there.)
    That system is built around width, depth,
    and organization. The Burn look to test you
    everywhere before deciding where to attack,
    and setting up base camp to attack down the
    middle is not part of the system.

Jeff is right about Vaca "doing most of the
    creative work" for the Burn, but the caveat that
    he didn't elaborate upon is where he is doing
    that work from. Last year we tried to lineup
    with both Pareja and Vaca in interior roles with
    a hybrid 3-5-2 and they just got in each other's
    way. And it also left us exposed in the back.
    Upgrading our back four (Suarez should also
    be on il bruce's radar) has really covered for
    the defensive weaknesses of Chivas and Vaca.
    And moving Vaca wide right has given him the
    space he needs (at least anywhere other than
    Spartan) to make things happen. The Burn's
    most dangerous playmaker is Vaca, but he
    operates wide right, cutting in for opportunities,
    and he's not Valderamma. Yet.

-bs

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Damn glad you replyed to that post. I was going to ask for you to hand in your press badge after calling our last home game performance as attacking from the get go. We won, but what an ugly match.

3. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were comparing Dallas to the 2000 Fire, I'd say Pareja is very much in the Armas role and Deering plays more like Jesse Marsch. I also know its' become fashionable to rag on Chris Armas, but he is the heart and soul of the Fire, period.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Why is it when someone says "period," they are almost always wrong? A curious fact. Then again, I'm not really sure what you mean by "heart and soul." What I do know is that the Fire have a bunch of good players and could do just fine without Armas:

Bocanegra
    Armas
    Stoichkov (when healthy, he's still good)
    Thornton
    Razov
    Beasley
    Josh Wolff

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Who's ragging on Armas? You're the one who defined his (and Pareja's) role as ball-winner and battler. I'm just saying that Pareja brings to the Burn skills that Armas clearly doesn't have -- and it's wrong to limit the definition of his (Pareja's) play in these terms. If you think Pareja is "very much in Armas' role" then we're watching different games.

"Heart and soul of the fire"? I'd be interested to hear how Armas beats out Nowak for this title.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, it's hard for me to compare the Fire's midfield and the Burn's midfield, because they're so different in philosophy.

With the Burn, there's no real playmaker, no definite #10, like Nowak is with the Fire. Instead, you've got Chivas Martinez on the left, Oscar Pareja in the middle, and Joselito Vaca on the right, who generally share the playmaking duties. And if you look at the assist totals for each, they're fairly close to one another -- 9 for Chivas, 7 for Vaca, and 6 for Pareja.

What Pareja brings to the table is that he's one out of the three best suited to play the middle in MLS. He's not only skilled, but he's not afraid to get stuck in and win balls and to take a little abuse from opposing midfielders. And he's the guy who, more than anyone, is going to step up and run the show. He can also hold the ball, settle it, and maintain possession.

Is he as good a playmaker as Nowak? No. But he doesn't need to be, since he's got Chivas and Vaca on the wings to keep defenses occupied and to take heat off of him. And because you've got two legitimate threats on the wings, opposing teams have to cover the entire width of the field, which leaves space for all three of them to work.

But Pareja is the heart and soul of the team. He's their most important player. Vaca has tons of skill, but the reason why he's out on the wing and not in the center is because he still lacks the grit and the fire in his game that Pareja possesses, or that his predecessor wearing the Bolivian #10 shirt has. But he's still young.

As for now, Pareja is the Burn's MVP, hands down. If you're looking for a comparison from the Fire, I'd say that he's an amalgam of Peter Nowak and Chris Armas.

7. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Just curious... why did you include Armas in a group that could do fine without Armas?

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    New England moderator hits the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that I had to think twice about is the comment that Pareja is the Burn's most important player - which just shows how talented and deep the Burn are. It will be interesting to see if they can get over the hump in the playoffs this year.

9. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what I was trying to say is that this year, Pareja has become more of a two-way player than in the past. If you took that as "Pareja is all grit and hustle" then I must've written it poorly. Also, Armas on the Fire is much more of an attacking player than Armas on the national team. See, I think a lot of people have "limited" Armas to being all about hard work, etc. Obviously, I think he's a great MLS player (Best XI, what, four years in a row?) I also consider things like anticipation and the abilty to stay tuned in for 90 to be "skills."

Armas is a two-way player, a guy who allows Nowak to "cheat" defensively and just concentrate on running the show. That's where my "heart and soul" comment comes into play. Clearly, the Fire over the past two seasons have been a good team with Nowak in the middle and a below-average team when he's been sidelined. No argument that Nowak's the "most important" player from that standpoint. But Armas, as heart and soul, is the inspirational leader. I can't tell you how many times Armas has stepped up and dominated in big games. I think his absence thisyear has a lot to do with the Fire surrendering so many late goals.

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Style of play debate aside - I think Pareja and Armas are exactly the same from the standpoint of what they mean to the team - I still think that both are the heart and soul of their teams.

When Pareja misses games - Dallas typically does not win. With Armas out, Chicago is tied for the 5th best record in MLS instead of tied for 1st - which is where they finished last year. Yes the Fire have has lots of injuries, but they have lots of injuries ever year including Nowak missing games last year.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I just think this underlines the fact that the comparison is forced - and you have to do some mental gymnastics to try and make it work.

If you had to leave either Armas or Nowak on the bench, who would you leave? If you had a choice of replacing Nowak with either Pareja or Armas, who would you choose? I like Armas, but I just think his skill set is more replaceable than Nowak's or Pareja's.

12. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2000, the Fire made it through a semi-final series vs. Metro without Peter Nowak. The reason was Chris Armas. I don't think his "skill set" has been at all replaceable in the concept of the Chicago Fire. Guys like Jesse Marsch, Mike Sorber, etc. have tried to do his job, but it's just not the same. Not even close, really. Again, I know people think Armas is all about "hard work" but if it was that easy, there'd be a lot of players out there as good as Armas. In my opinion, there are not.

One thing Dark Knight that I find amusing (and this is a decent BigSoccer debate) is that you are saying YOU know what I meant with my assessment of Pareja better than I do. Again, I listed the guy as an MVP candidate...M V P. I think that's pretty high praise for the player, no matter how much you think I'm holding back.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It was meant to be a list of good players, of which Armas is but one of many.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do I really have to say why trying to replace him with Jesse Marsch and Mike Sorber wouldn't work?

Jeff - With all due respect, when did I say I know what you meant better than you do? I'm just having an argument about stuff you said, if I'm off-base - make your case. What I find amusing is that you are resorting to this kind of patronizing debate technique. I'm not debating whether Armas deserves to be first 11 or whatever - I just don't think Pareja is "very much in the Armas role". What am I missing?

15. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the whole "mental gymnastics" thing.

My assessment of Pareja may be way off, I dunno. I thought I was paying the guy an immense compliment when I compared him to Armas.

This has probably reached a conclusion.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Okay (last word).

17. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Re: Re: New Bradley "Insider"

I for one am fed up with the obvious anti-Fire bias with the news media. Jeff Bradley has consistently shown himself to be a closet Burn fan by picking the Burn to win MLS every year and now he's heaping praise on Pareja. This latest "dumbass coach" comment just reinforces his anti-Fire bias.

I hope at the next Bradley family gathering, Bob pops him in the mouth.

:)

BTW, Jeff, what's the news on Dipsy and who's getting let go to make room for him?

18. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God.

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Re: Re: New Bradley "Insider"

You don't mind if I stick to the Snickers Scratch and Win game cards for game analysis do you?

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got it reversed. You're paying Armas quite a compliment by comparing him to Pareja.