new Belmont Raceway stadium proposal

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by msilverstein47, Oct 18, 2011.

1. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    First of all, the chant is beyond ridiculous; and should be forbidden by itself.

But, I need to disagrre that the chant would change between racist and non-racist according to the referee ethnicity. Technically, it would be racist if it is chanted because of the ethnicity. If one chants for all referees, he is just being an idiot; not a racist.

Back to the Belmont problem. A stadium there is better then no stadium (and team) at all.

Well, that is my $.02 on these issues. Back to obscurity...

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - if the stadium was on Randalls Island - as ugly as that would be - and it was Randalls Island or nothing - id make it work lol

4. NDfootballer7

NDfootballer7 Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Emailed some City Council folks from Queens, and only Peter Vallone Jr. got back to me.

Thank you for writing in regard to the proposed stadium in Queens for a Major League Soccer team. I am unaware of any formal proposals at this time to develop a facility. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I will take your concerns for New York City Council involvement under advisement.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office if there is anything I can do for you in the future.

Sincerely,

PETER F. VALLONE JR.

It would seem that all Fraga & Co. did was feasibility studies with soil samples and such. The problems of financing, transportation, electrical supply, water?, etc. still remain. Sela Sport will now have to start from the ground up and generate new goodwill with the NYC community about getting a stadium deal done.

5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would paying what is owed to BWG be a start in this direction, even though the debt isn't Sela's fault?

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and it would also show responsibility

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    We're working on it.

Beyond that, if Sela is the new owner, then Sela owes the debt. They have assumed the debt with the purchase and not the sh!t is theirs.

8. NDfootballer7

NDfootballer7 Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some interesting tidbits from Commissioner Garber's press conference today on the "State of the MLS" before MLS Cup:

- Garber saying they think they have "2 or 3 sites that are viable" for a stadium is interesting
    - As I mentioned before, MLS has a dedicated official/employee in their NYC offices to work with the NYC City Council to propose a viable stadium site with the requisite political jockeying to get a deal done
    - Foreign journalists and fans always ask Garber 2 things about the MLS: Beckham and when are the Cosmos joining MLS
    - The inference is that the stadium deal makes NY2 (or any new franchise in MLS) viable, that's why Garber is focused on getting a deal done there first, and then will solicit the ownership groups to buy the franchise
    - This means Sela will have put up the $$$ to Garber if the other high-rollers he's trying to line up with Chuck Blazer and Co. don't pan out
    - But I think it's fair to say that NY2 has to have the Cosmos branding, too much to lose otherwise for international credibility

- The other cities he's talking to about expansion for the 20th franchise include Detroit, Las Vegas, and "some city in Florida (not Miami)" which alerted most BS posters to assume its Orlando

From my earlier posts, it looks like no deal is imminent with NYC given the depressed economic, real estate and construction climate. Sela have to deal with this Gotschee crisis immediately, and then figure out what to do with the club.

At this point, I'm going to focus less on Terry and Sela, and more on the feasibility of a stadium for NY2!

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I think that's wise. But I have never understood that if MLS is not building the stadium, like, why would an investment group who is going to lay out 1/4 billion or more want to cede site and dimension control to MLS? I just don't get that at all.