New Badge

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by HiFi, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *heh*

Kenyon muttering about "our history"...

you just have to laugh...

2. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I know I am no great fan of Kenyon, but he was speaking in the capacity as an official of the club and in that capacity I support him.

How has ManU been doing since he left? I understand there is a little local difficulty about a player called Robben. ;)

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose likes the badge:

Mourinho: “When I look to this lion it looks arrogant, it is aggressive, it is powerful. He is proud of being a Chelsea lion."
    Er, well said there Jose.

Now we yhave the new badge I wonder if Stamford the Lion will be getting a similar makeover?

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i think the new one looks sharp

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Clanblue < - shakes head in disbelief that nobody has answered correctly about the early 70's badge.

C'mon Monkee, i thought you at least would have had the answer :D
    Brook was pretty close though.

...and, yes Dr Intox, i know you haven't answered as i asked you not too.

Clanblue...walks away despairing and muttering about 'new fans'

okay - only kidding about the 'new fans' thing.
    Don't have a melt down :D:D

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's see. We lost out on Robben, but then we got Rooney. Whereas Kenyon couldn't close the deal on that bucktoothed Brazlian fella...

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Not bad i suppose - it'll grow on me in time.

As stated previously, much better then that poxy thing we have today!

8. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I stand corrected then. It is official.

Its like everytinhg. Just takes getting used to. When the Arsenal crest changed I really hated the new one, but its grown on me over time. Still some of the fan efforts that went around were better....but I digress

9. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and we're so much the worse off for it. Have you looked at the table at anytime in the last two years?

You also got Saha since Kenyon left...how's that workin' out for ya?

10. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only thing i would change about the new badge is i would make the lion just a little bit bigger.

i just think it looks a little too "itty-bitty" as it is.

11. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    oi clan, we cant all be as old as you :D teehee

fwiw, i like the new badge... not sure about the flowers, footballs and their color though. same with the 100 yrs centenary thing. its too much clatter...

12. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clanblue-- Please enlighten me. And also, since you are a moderator, tell me how to print these badges off the CFC website!

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, the stars are there for a reason ;) <----massive hint

To post a pic on here just use img tags.Right click on the picture you wish to print, go to properties and copy the address.Then simply post it here between img tags

[​IMG]

14. bbrex

bbrex New Member

May 9, 2003
    College Station, TX
    I have to say that I really like the new badges. They did a great job creating a badge that reflects the older designs without just grabbing and old badge and reusing it. It's sort of retro without looking dated (although I personally love those old badges, too).

15. om4ever

om4ever New Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Droit Au But
    The lion looks so nice, but it was better to choose any shape rather than the circle. something new, creative...

[​IMG]

16. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it looks good.

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I like everything besides the red footballs and flowers. I wish they would stay gold in 2006.

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

FOOTBALLS!!!

i thought they were netballs :D

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Probably for the same reason as everything else...

What is money? I'll take diving Frenchmen for $500 Alex.

Though at the time of the change I was only 7 so I can't be sure.

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

Cant see the point of changing badges .The old badge was just fine.

21. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC

I know this isn't the official badge but when I first look at it, the black lines around the edge makes it look like the badge is spinning.

22. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like it. A lot.
    I think they just included the circle so as to accommodae the name of the club - after all, Kenyon's #1 ambition is for "Chelsea Football Club" to be the most recognised team in the world.

As for the question of the development of the badge...

Initially, we had a badge that was a picture of a Pensioner in a circle. This then became the LUFC style 'CFC'. Then came the 50's classic with the circle. The roses represent England, the balls obviously represent football. The Lion represents the borough of Fulham and Chelsea. I can't remember how the circle got stripped away though...

The stars represent the FA and Cup Winners' cups respectively.

Bates brought in the current badge as a marketing ploy as the old badge was widely faked on merchandise.

I'd liked to have seen the early-70s lion, no words, no stars, just the lion, as the new badge - maybe "1905-2005" written underneath but ho-hum, we can't have everything!!

Last point - I hope the new badge is just a small circle on the shirt, like the circle that features on all Italian shirts ya know? I think that would be very distinctive and classy.

OK, this really is the last point... maybe the centenary shirt will feature no main sponsor at all, Barca style. How awesome would that be? It's not like we need the cash!

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think if they had no sponsor on it, it might become the highest selling kit in England. Unless they contract Nike to make them. Nike makes the worse jerseys. Cheap material and cookie cutter designs.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, cause we've had Rooney for two years. And besides, two years ago, we were on our way to another championship. As for Saha, I'd say 7 goals in his first 10 matches isn't too shabby. Motterman was just having a dig at Kenyon, that's all. The fact that he couldn't/wouldn't close the deal on Gaucho didn't exactly help endear him to us.

If there's a club in the world that doesn't need a sponsor, its Chelsea (aside from clubs financed by their national governments, of course). That might be kind of cool to see, if only for one season. If you stick with Umbro, maybe someone can Photoshop a blue shirt with the new crest, Umbro logo, and maybe a few potential sponsors, as well as a no-sponsor shirt.

25. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    So Clan? Is he right?

Whoch borough does the Lion represent? Hammersmith and Fulham or Kensington and Chelsea?