New Aspect to All-Star Game

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Fire Lovin' Hoosier, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Fire Lovin' Hoosier

Fire Lovin' Hoosier New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Indy
    After seeing a commercial for the NBA All-Star event i realized that they have much more than just the game. There's the skills contest, three-point contest, etc. Soo.... it got me to think that maybe an integrated All-Star event could created for MLS. Shooting contests with obstacles, dribbling, tricks, and anything else you can think of. I can see it from both sides being either something silly that makes us lose more respect as a real professional soccer league but on the other hand it could help generate a little more interest from Americans if our players could produce some interesting spectacles. Just an idea that i haven't seen around before so im open to any comments or bashing of my idea.

2. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Already been done. I am not/was not a fan of the MLS skills competition. Nothing incredible ever happened. The only item that I enjoyed was the "celebrity" game. With our ever increasing exposure and fervent soccer fans in the media, I would love to capitalize on this. We need some personalities on the MLS side (e.g. Alexi, Eric Wynalda, John Harkes) to keep the soccer side flowing.

3. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to have it... free kicks contests (Luis Hernandez did a ravona to win once if memory serves)... hardest shot in the league (i seem to remember Thorton winning a couple)... there were also the infamous games against the celebs... the whole thing didn't really go over all that well... it's probably one of those things that might be more of a cool novelty if our game/league wasn't considered as such by so many people...

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what they said, but I'd also like the point out that the skills competition in the NBA is past its sell-by date. a lot of people are very bored by it ... heck they even cancelled the dunk contest for a few years.
    I see the point of the original poster, but I just don't think it's the right idea. I think instead of adding to the All star game they should take away from it (like the game itself). what point does it serve? give the players a break.

5. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    MLS did this a few years ago, I watched it and was impressed but it wasn't really that exciting.

I believe if i remember correctly it was the game in San Jose. the 6-6 tie game with Landycakes wearing the sports bra.

6. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    do not bring back the skills competition for the MLS.

instead, add a celebrity game(of celebrities that can actually play) or a legends game(with former MLS players).

7. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a celebrity game, which side would Beckham play on?

8. mls_in_canada

mls_in_canada New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Waterloo, ON, Canada
    They would have to do it Pele-style, having him play one half with each side ;)

9. KingJames

KingJames Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    They really should bring back the skills competition, when did they stop doing them? I think the first time I don't remember them having one was 2002. It would be real cool and bring in a lot of people who wouldn't watch the All-Star game in. Personally I couldn't care less about the NBA ASG and there is no chance I will watch it but I always make sure to watch the slam dunk competition and usually the 3 point contest. The fastest kick was rather lame, plus Zach Thorton won it like every year but they could have a juggling contest, a free kick contest and accuracy shot (like they have or had, not really sure at all if they still have it lol, for the NHL, where they hit targets in the goal). Plus since you have these forgien stars coming to town you could include them, how cool would a Beckham vs. Nakamura free kick contest be?

10. Craigory Finn

Craigory Finn Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Cleveland

AMAZING....i would be glued to the tv

11. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All they need is a bicycle kick competition and the Shoot the Ball through Burning Hoops competition.

I think you forgot this :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nvm, thinking about Nagamura not Nakamura :eek:

12. KingJames

KingJames Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    lol we need a kick thru burning hoops comp. lol.

anyway, the reason everyone says the dunk contest is played out is because the NBA players put the absolute min. effort into it. Most just make up the dunks when they are in the air or worse...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/02/06/bc.bkn.bulls.thomas.ap/index.html

He's a typical basketball player. If they put any thought into it wouldn't be "stale," remember when steve nash headed the ball (ouch still hurts my head lol) to the dunker?

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say drop the whole All-star game. We don't need it. What other soccer league has one?

MLS needs to be like other soccer leagues -- not like other American sports leagues.

We are soccer. We are different. We have a whole All-star tournament every four-years called the World Cup that is so much better than what any other sport has it is sick. PLus we have gold-cup & Copa America?

Other sports are emulating us. (See Baseball World Championships.) We don't need to copy basketball for lord's sake.

- Just my $.02.

14. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    One vote for a celebrity game and one vote against the skills competitions. The celebrity game is the only thing that would actually entertain people and might bring other people to the game that would otherwise not watch.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

quick, somebody go start a riot and kill somebody.
    :eek:

oh and in direct relation to your comment, might I respecfully add: :rolleyes:

16. SiN WeSt-Sider

SiN WeSt-Sider New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Los Angeles