New AO Chicago bar for Jamaica games - Leona's (Wicker Park)

Discussion in 'Chicago Chapter' started by wixson7, Sep 6, 2012.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    For those that know, our beloved Small Bar has gone thru alot of transition recently (most all of it for the good). With no guarantees that they will show USMNT games, and if so, with no volume..... AO Chicago is re-evaluating its options.

AO Chicago has confirmed Leona's in Wicker Park (1936 W. Augusta......at Damen) will host the Jamaica home/away games. They have a huge back room, huge big screen, will have BeIN (with sound).

http://www.facebook.com/groups/113020160790/.

To be clear, Small Bar is a personal favorite for me with or without soccer on the TV. However, during USMNT games we want to be sure there is a committment to showing and hearing the games.

Please pass this on to anyone. Lets give a new bar a try for the Jamaica Qualifiers. See you there.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoah. What the hell is up with smallbar?

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Hey chad, This isnt a knock on SB, its one of my fav bars in chicago and phil has been nothing but the best, no question about it. And i dont speak for AO Chicago ( but did stay at a holiday inn express last night), Just reporting what was on their facebook page.

Its no secret that SB has had a major makeover in the past year, its a gastropub that is now takes reservations and is Zagat rated. Theyve taken down all the soccer stuff on the walls. Its no secret that they are making some adjustments. Btw, i love their new menu, and their craft beer is the best in the city. I still go there on a weekly basis, and will continue to do so.

Problem is, and phil can confirm, especially on fri/sat nights, they cant commit to showing the games and have audio. Both for me are deal breakers. Im not calling for a boycott on SB. But we shouldnt have to beg them each time to turn on the game and have audio.

Again, just passing on the AO Chicago info. I cant say that our "demands" are asking too much. Open to all viewpoints and ideas, And realize that smallbar is a USMNT institution.....i just hope it continues to be, and if not then we may have to look elsewhere.

It pains me to even write this. If phil is reading......my name is not wixson.....its ummmm...ummm. Jimmy...Or something.

chad repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think that is Wicker Park, maybe East Village.

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. That's a bummer.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Great news, AO Chicago will be back at Small Bar - Division for the upcoming games. (not like we ever really left).

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    gonna bump an old thread, but as someone who lives on Division right by SB, I've been taking my soccer-watching business elsewhere. I really like the place (like everyone else has said), but if I'm going to watch a game, I want to go to a place that's committed to soccer. If I'm going to pick a place, I've been very happy with AJ Hudson's on Ashland (former Ginger's Ale House). They've always had ALL the concacaf games on during qualifiers (including an online stream for Jam/Panama when BeIn was tape delaying their coverage). Closer to home, Cleo's on Chicago has a great soccer lineup, and doesn't get enough credit for what they do.