Nevermind the bollocks, its The David Jones Thread!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 2, 2005.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It was nice seeing some of your clips Mr. Jones. It was nice knowing you. Hope you eventually get your chance.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope Fergie uses the last few Champion League games to blood in some of the youngsters we still have with us, mainly a guy like David Jones. We only need 2 points, which I hope we have after the next match. Therefore, there are 2 CL games to give youth players some minutes. I'm not saying toss these games..we still want first place in the group. However, we can give these youngsters a lot of minutes in Copenhagen, for one.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats his last hope. If we can guarantee qualification, that's time for him to shine.

4. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he will. :)

5. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    If Jones goes somewhere and becomes a world class player, your point would be valid. But given that Fergie sees the guy day in and day out, I would trust him with the decision. Way too early to classify it as error even if Jones doesn't play another game with us.

6. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Just what i am thinking ! Fergie has always been spot on with the youth unless you count David Healey :rolleyes:

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The thing with Jones though, is... what more does he has to do to at least get a shot? Just a little shot like, say, the last 15 minutes of a CL match against quite inferior opposition will almost usely not get back in the game? If being the captain and tied best player in possibly the most succcessful youth/reserve team of English footballing history isn't enough (as well as being an academy product, which always seems to count as brownie points for Fergie), what is? How about going on loan to the Championship and doing quite well despite being completely outsized by almost all opposing players? Or going on loan to NEC in the Eriedivise and being one of their best players, as well as a star in many big games, who they then were desperate to keep hold of?

Seriously, what more can a youth product do to prove himself worthy of at least a 15 minute cameo? He would have to be appalling - and I mean grotesquely - in training to be behind the likes of Richardson (who has not exactly been sterling for us, nor who seems the type to work their arses off in training) or O'Shea (who is also not up to scratch for us, and who I cannot remember th sight of without the extra weight).

What more can Jones do to get a 15 minute sub appearance? I am dying to find out.

8. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    It would be a shame to see him Jones go without having a proper chance at United. At his age the lack of games will not help his career - the best thing for him would be a "do or die" loan at another Premiership club. If Richardson could turn the manager's head with some inspired performances for a club list West Brom, then I see no reason why Jones cannot.
    If he's going to get any PL or CL playing time this season for United, then his only option is to turn in blinding performances in the domestic cup fixtures. He needs to take charge and show Fergie that he's up for it.
    Unfortunately, if that doesn't happen, his days at United are numbered. :(

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    This is akin to asking a junior sprinter to run against world class sprinters, off the bat. Or, putting an amatuer boxer into a world title fight. Or, giving an f2 driver Michael Schumacher's car and expecting him to win the race..first time.

In other words, if these are the terms for him here, it is some bullshit, and the chances are much higher that he fails then succeeds under those circumstances. Not to mention that in the CC and any CL game after we've got qualification, he'll be fielded (if at all) with the worst players in the squad, perhaps even with some members of the reserves... in the meantime, O'Shea and Richardson get chance after chance to ******** up in our strongest xi surrounded by some of the world's best players. It is preposterous.

The only way Jones gets a fair crack is if there is an injury crisis in midfield. At least then he'd have a world class defence and attack in front of him. Being put on in some hotch potch xi who have not played together at this level is unfair. Even Tevez and Mascherano look shite under the silly circumstances at West Ham.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    That was before the Glazers arrived. The terms are different now. (rookie)Mistakes aren't allowed, but full blown blunders by the usual suspects are, go figure.

11. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    One would hope that Richardson was allowed to substitute only with enough rope to you know...............

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I dont see this as a nail in the David Jones coffin out of OT. If we wrap up our qualification in Copenhagen in 2 weeks, hopefully Fergie will play more of the young 'uns against Celtic and Benfica.

13. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, as DS points out above, he will almost certainly be played alongside our second stringers, which won't show Fergie what he can do alongside our first teamers.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hopefully Fergie's seen the light w/ Richardson and is just attempting to raise his value.

15. RedDevilS14

RedDevilS14 New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    NorCal
    I was thinking the same thing, maybe he's trying to bump up Richardson's value so that we can sell him off during the next transfer window. Wasn't West Brom very keen on keeping him after the loan last season? :eek:

But seriously, I think the upcoming 4 non league games (3 CL + CC) will give a much clearer indication whether Jones is going to make it here. If we wrap up the next CL game and still don't see him getting any chance in that game and others, that's pretty much it. :(

16. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like he was trying to bump up O'shea or Silvestre's value.. they are just too loyal.

17. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
  18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will be nice to see Alan Smith get a full 90, with Ole in the form he's in, Smudge will have a hard time getting minutes here.

19. Uniteder

Uniteder New Member

Nov 27, 2005
  20. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    There's still the carling cup game vs Southend, as well as the FA Cup games. Thankfully for Jones he will have more than one opportunity to show what he's capable of - it's really up to him to keep his head up and doing his best even at reserves level.

21. AphroMUFC

AphroMUFC New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If fergie wasn't gonna play him that often then why didn't he send him back to NEC on loan. He'd be better off there instead of getting the odd game here and languishing in the reserves. The future looks gloomy for Davy at the moment I'm afraid.