Nets sold (almost) to NY group, will move to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by jamison, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Word is that the bankers working the deal for the team have agreed (thought it's not complete yet) to sell the NJ Nets to a NY Developer who will move the team to Brooklyn

They have a spot selected over the LIRR at Flatbush and Atlantic aves., plus a Frank Gehry designed building holding 19,000 for basketball and 20k for other events. Jay-Z would be a partner in the deal (because all solid financing deals include rappers nowadays).

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    The Brooklyn Nets? Isn't Flatbush and Atlantic roughly where Ebbets Field stood? I don't have an opinion on this except that it probably means that the Devils are out of here. With only one team instead of two, a new arena won't seem as imperative. How do you like the sound of the San Diego Diablos?

3. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    no. that's where o'malley wanted to build a new stadium for the dodgers, but the city refused and the rest is history.

4. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I'm not trying to start an argument with you but the notion that the Dodgers needed a new stadium is ridiculous. Ebbets Field wasn't old by the day's standards and the stadium he wanted to build would've started the circular, multipurpose stadium trend ten years earlier.

5. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever keeps Jon Corzine and Charlie Kushner away from the Nets is fine with me.

6. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    since when do sports team owners want what they need? they want what they can get. check this for info.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm in favor of any stadium that lets people walk on the roof.

9. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  10. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    The NJ Nets (and Devils) have proven that it takes longer than 1 generation to grow a fanbase in an area that already has a team with a large fanbase. They finally have the NJ kids wearing Nets shirts (the adults are still Knick fans) and now they want to start from scratch again. Brooklyn will get people going at the start but Knick fans are going to stay Knick fans.

I work with a couple of guys who are big Ranger fans. When the Devils moved in in '82 they bought season tickets. Once the arena lost it's new car smell they never went again (except to see the Rags). I can't see it being significantly better in Brooklyn.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Since I've been living under a rock, apparently, whatever happened to the downtown Newark arena plan?

I heard some talk of it last year and I understand the plan is now dead. What happened in between?

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bughet was about $20m more than YankeeNets and the governments had to give and no one wanted to pony up the rest. So it died. Pretty sad, I think. Newark would have been a great place for the Nets and a better place for the Devils.