Netherlands vs Costa Rica - WC Quarter Final

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 2, 2014.

?

What is going to happen in this game?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2014.
  1. Big win for Costa Rica (3 goal difference).

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Small win for Costa Rica.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This will end in penalty's and looking at the game vs Greece, CR will win it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Penalty's, but Netherlands will win it, like the last time in Euro 2004 vs Sweden.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Small win for Netherlands.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Smashing win for la Naranja Mecánica .

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    God forbid players interact with the grounds. Should they stop walking on the pitch? Is that too disrespectful?

2. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #327 Antario2, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    The current Ajax incarnation mainly relies on possession to protect a high defensive line, which De Boer derived from Pep's Barcelona. The offside trap is more a fail safe rather than the core defense mechanism it was in the past. Tiki taka was an innovation that allowed for an attacking game with a high line post 2005.

Not many teams dare to rely solely on offside anymore. AVB tried it at Chelsea and it failed pretty spectacularly. Iirc even Micheal Cox from zonal marking speculated it wasn't possible anymore in the modern game.

3. michaelwo

michaelwo Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Club:
    CD Huachipato

A little sore and envious actually. Would have liked your side of the table. Good luck in the next 1-2 games.

sonicdream and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Costa Rica proved that it is possible but it requires incredible discipline and awareness along with constant practice.

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
  6. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    “When I started my warm-up the whole Costa Rican bench was confused about what was going on. Their manager [Jose Pinto’s] face when he saw me was priceless. He was looking over to see what our manager was doing. It definitely had an impact. It was a fantastic move.’’

I thought that was priceless !

7. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    There should be more comments like this in the thread. We should stop getting too emotional and realize just how difficult it is to execute the offside trap well. Most teams don't do it because they don't think their players are capable of it.

I've been very impressed by Costa Rica in this tournament. Their players deserve to play in bigger teams. Some clubs with Brazilian defenders should be thinking of replacing them with a Costa Rican. :D