Nelsen: Blackburn Trial

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by The Magpie, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Couldn't immediately find a link, but...

Hughes is on a global mission
    2 December 2004
    Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
    English
    © Copyright 2004 Newsquest Digital Media.

"BLACKBURN Rovers manager Mark Hughes is scouring the globe in a bid to shore up his leaky defence during the transfer window.

Hughes has brought in two international defenders for trials this week with a view to making a signing in January.

South African centre back Aaron Mokoena spent two days at Brockhall earlier this week and Hughes is also running the rule over New Zealand international Ryan Nelsen..."

2. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I hope the best for Nellie but I can't help but think that there is a very good chance he could be playing in the Coca-Cola Championship next season.

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beat me to it.

Blackburn looks like they have a one way ticket to the relegation zone.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    They're a couple wins from the middle of the table and about half a year left.

They could finish dead last or have a respectable campgain come Spring.

5. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    As much as I would like to see Nelsen in black and red next season,
    I wish Nelly the best in his trial.
    He deserves a shot at the Premiership.
    Mark

6. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's your link

and don't be so quick to judge based on our current position in the table. Wait until Boxing Day to see who's bottom then.

7. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blackburn Sucks!

Just kidding, rebelzero. :D Have you bought your tickets for '05 yet? I wonder how the Kiwi is taking the news.

8. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I wish Nelsen the best and hope if it works out with Blackburn they stay up.

I've got to admit though that I'll be a little less than enthused if we lose him and he ends up against Stoke, Gillingham, and dare I say it, Nottingham Forest!

9. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Cheers, thanks for the link.
    Mark

10. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I have my seats for next year. I only have to root against DC United when they play the Rovers (which explains why I'm in the team program that highlights the US trip). Besides, someone has to make noise on the "quiet side" and we seem to do a good job of instigating the crowd around us at least.

Actually, at the championship rally, the Kiwi & I held up the NZ flag for possibly the last time. During the meet and greet afterward, I wished him well, especially should he end up in blue & white, to which Nelsen simply smiled. He then gave the Kiwi the jersey off his back for his enduring support.

On a related topic, I told Brian Carroll he was forgiven for his goal against the Rovers the year before.

11. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kiwi got Nelsen's jersey-sweet. I hope you have a great holiday and tell your dad we say "Hi". See you in March for the CCC. Please send me your e-mail address via PM cause I can't read your writing and my memory sucks.

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Interesting, I was watching Blackburn come back and tie an opponent 3-3 on FSW a few weeks ago and thought, "the defense is completely disorganized, Friedel's a good 'keeper, they need Nelsen in back to steady things down." Hope he makes it, with any defense at all, Blackburn beats relegation easily.

13. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Blackburn totally outplayed Fulham last week in the FSW telecast. Their first away victory. Sound familiar? They would do well with Ryan in the back.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I've been calling for this for months. He's EXACTLY what Blackburn needs...a central defender who doesn't ballwatch, can defend a g****** setpiece, a great character guy, cheap, tough, good organizer. Seriously, as a Blackburn fan, they've just GOT to sign him. The only thing that keeps him being perfect for them is that he doesn't help them address their weakness in terms of team speed...but if he were a burner, too, he'd be looking to go to a club like Newcastle, if not Liverpool.

A few years ago, I didn't understand how much of an impact *1* central defender could have on a team. But following Reading the year Marcus got the starting gig, and seeing how they played with Upson, then without him, then with the lesser loaner they brought in, really opened my eyes. Then the travesty of ManU without Rio sealed it. Central defenders are, IMO, the most underrated players on the pitch.

Nelsen will keep Blackburn up. Without him, it's dodgy; Blackburn will stay up only if the other teams suck worse.

15. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    This from Blackburn's site, put up this morning, the South African they had in was only there two days, good to see Ryan's secured another week:

"MARK Hughes confirmed that defender Ryan Nelsen is expected to train with Rovers again next week.

Speaking at this morning's press conference, he explained: "Ryan's only had a few days with us so far, but he's obviously keen to make an impression. We have asked him to stay for another week."

The 26 year-old New Zealand international is currently with Washington side DC United in the Major Soccer League, but is hoping to clinch a move to English football.

Asked about future signings, Mark commented: "Like most other managers, I am actively looking to see how it might be possible to strengthen the squad during the January transfer window.

"But I am not interested in simply bringing bodies in I am only interested in people I feel could make an immediate impact.""

16. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course a number of the posters on our Blackburn site have the normal tripe about why bring in a defender from a second-rate league, but for the past year I've often thought that Ryan is exactly what is needed in that back line.

I was spectacularly unimpressed with the Rovers defense when they were at RFK for the friendly, and I think it's been all down hill from there for them.

Come on, Rovers. Sign him.

17. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I don't think he is allowed to play in a reserve match as he needs to be on the team to play in it. If they have a scrimmage, he would could play then.

19. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to rebelzero's link Ryan is training for another week. Is this a sign that he might be signed by Blackburn? Stephen Zack said at the equipment sale that DC wouldn't know if he is truly leaving for another couple of weeks.

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think it depends on what other offers are out there. There was supposed to be another Premiership club interested, so maybe Nellie will train with them for a week or two and then make a decision.

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whos the Major Soccer League?

22. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hate to see him leave MLS, but Nelsen immediately becomes Rovers best defender the minute he steps on the field.

Of course, my name ain't Mark Hughes, so he'll probably blow it and not pull the trigger.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Damning with faint praise, I see.

24. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    im glad to hear Ryan is getting a shot at the premier

wish you the best cap't

25. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he can play as long as they don't charge money to ge into the game per uk work permit rules