Nellie's contract

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'm just full of threads this am.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone remembers how long Nellie's contract goes for. My thinking is that when it's time for a new contract that 1) his salary will go waaaay up and 2) if he and/or his agent have any sense they could probably get a much better contract in England that what MLS will offer.

So does anyone know when it expires?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As I understand it, MLS forces rookies to sign 4-year contracts but somehow the league can get out of them if the player sucks.

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Its called league options... sign a 1 year contract with 3 league option years.
    Sometimes they will give 2 year contracts. I think Twellman is on a 2 year with 2 league option years at $24k.

Plus, no contracts are guaranteed until July 1. So if you sign out of college, get drafted, then get cut by July 1, the league can just let you go, no strings attached.

4. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Well whatever we're giving him, he's earning it. Nelsen has really come into his own this year. He's had the biggest onfield improvement of any player for us this year.

Now if he could only score even more goals...

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Organizers are rare

Nellie always had the right attitude both on-field and off-field. He's a tenacious defender with a much needed physical enforcer presence (like McKinley) and is a good defender. But, his organizing ability is what will become his best trait. He's still learning, but he's good for his age. Having a fit Pope next to you on one side and Prideaux and Reyes on the other makes things a lot easier, because there are fewer breakdowns. Richie Williams and Ivan McKinley deflect most attacks up the middle, so Nelsen has time to get into position.

His contract negotiation will depend upon the team's defense, and the availability of other organizers. If this defense stays in tact, by the time he negotiates his next contract he could be very valuable. But, if it doesn't, then his speed may be exposed more often than it has of late. So he still has a lot of time before we need to worry about his salary.

But if he continues to improve at the rate he has this season ... he may be very expensive, heh. :)

-Tron

6. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Next time we get a penalty, I want Nelsen to take it!

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    ABSOLUTELY!!

I was screaming this on Saturday on the first PK.

8. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God yes, ANYBODY but Jaime! He might as well be yelling at the goalkeeper, I'm kicking it right over there, bend down.

K