negativity on the board

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Feb 26, 2010.

?

tone of the board

Poll closed Mar 28, 2010.
  1. way too negative and completely unnessicary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. way too negative, but many of the complaints are legit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. negative, but largely legit complaints about the org

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. the tone is fine, this is part of being a fan/having a critical look

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. stfu PBI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seems to be an on/off discussion about the tone of the boards that seems to be creeping into other threads. It's a very legitimate discussion and personally I think may deserve a discussion of it's own. This may be pointless since the KADs and NNNs will never agree, but it's worth trying. I threw a poll in here hoping that maybe we can get some clarity as to how people feel regarding the tone and maybe even understand the how/why of it?

I don't know.

2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the tone can get negative here, I feel it's mostly venting and expressing feelings for something we really care about. I've visited other MLS team's forums and it seems for some, there's far more smack and stupid talk than what we have here.

I think we do a pretty good job of self regulation. Even swear words are used sparingly, responsibly and not gratuitously, and aren't an issue.

3. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have clicked..Not enough criticism..should be more!! =)

If people wanna be happy that we're gonna have a team(on paper) that rivals the late nineties, then they should bottle that stuff and sell it!!!

4. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mods, can you make that change? :confused:

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think our fans would be above status quo.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before. IMHO the overall tenor of this board is negative, but fans need to be able to vent their frustrations and this is the perfect place to do that.

Some of the negativity is justified, some is over the top.

Some of the KADs comments are over the top as well, but those just make me laugh.

When we start using hyperbole ("everything you post is negative", or "puppies and rainbows"), it's time to step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

I wish we did a little better at keeping threads on topic. The occassional aside is one thing, but three pages of off-topic posts is a bit much (three pages being a random number, not based on any particular example).

A piece of advice: when I am fired up, I'll type up a reply, but then wait a few minutes before hitting "Submit Reply". I then go back a re-read what I wrote, and sometimes I end up not posting it.

7. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Harmony of opinions leads to a general consensus, so it is necessary.

However, at times it can be distracting from the argument at point as any positive thread always tangentially veers from the original post.

8. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I haven't replied to anything in the past few months haha.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Patriot said it well. It's negative but A LOT (especially the past calendar year) has been justified. At the end of the day, everyone wants a winning product on and off the field and our passion sometimes blinds and confines us to either end of the spectrum. While it's true that to incessantly criticize or incessantly defend is being delusional and more middle ground/consensus should be sought, hopefully the "KADs" will see that much of the goodwill has been drained over the past 15 years so cynicism has taken its place.

We shouldn't treat this board's "negativity" as a Revs phenomenon either. I'm a fan of each of the "big 4" Boston teams and there's a significant amount of analysis and criticism that has been levied by those fans as well. I've said this before, you think we're bad try listening to Bruins fans. It makes a card-carrying "NNN" want to hang himself. ;) Point is, it's safe to categorize the majority of Boston fans as analytical and critical of their team(s) (the flipside of calling us negative I guess).

Hopefully there's more compromise and willingness to see the other side from both the "KADs" and the "NNNs" perspectives going forward on this board. Typically events having to do with the Revs are never as bad (or as good) as we sometimes perceive them so merit should be given to both perspectives.

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, his is the definitive post on this matter. NFLPatriot hit it out of the park.

I agree with this as well. It's not just a Boston thing, the whole Northeast tends to be both more intense in their fandom and much more negative than fans from other regions.

Also, as you point out, labelling anyone (KAD or NNN) is often just a way of dismissing someone's point out of hand, not to mention demeaning to the poster in question. The positives and the negatives on this board both have great points very often (I'm generally really impressed with both the soccer knowlege shown on this board and news sources folks are able to tap into).

11. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be awesome if this thread would become a repository for all the constant bickering about who is too negative and who is blind to the deficiencies of the organization, etc. It seems like every thread devolves into some ridiculous variation on this theme and there's very little actual content. Part of that's probably the lack of actual games to talk about in the offseason, I don't know. I highly doubt this debate will be confined to this thread, but it sure would be nice.

Another alternative would be for Monty and Doc to finally shack up and relieve all the sexual tension around here! :D

1 person likes this.
  12. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am scrubbing my brain with bleach and the image will not go away.:(

1 person likes this.
  13. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try tequila.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bleach ain't working... :eek:

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Doc thought I was Sick!

1 person likes this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's that, as well as the lack of actual news from the team, at least IMHO.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting poll results so far. Most people think the criticisms are either largely justified or being critical is a normal part of being a fan. Shocking.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the majority think the board is negative. By the way I didn't like the way the second option was worded. I feel like the criticism is over done but I also don't think its unnecessary.

19. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. It feels like we have the same discussion in every thread.

Also those 15-quotation point-counterpoint posts get a little tedious, and really do very little to move a discussion forward.

20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't particularly have an issue with the negativity or the over-done positivity. I agree that a number of posters (who shall all remain nameless, non-sexual partners, I hope:D) have a tendency to go back and forth quite a bit (sort of like James Carville and Mary Matalin, who I don't want to picture having intimate relations, either).

Unfortunately, many of us like to resort to hyperbole, and have every problem in MLS (or in some cases the whole universe) be the fault of the Revs FO, or the flip side have every problem with the Revs be due to the negativity on this board. This tends to combine with multiple posters hitting the same point and trying to outdo each other for the most extreme hyperbole.

The only real complaint I have with these boards is what I view as "negativity spam" -- espousing the same issue/complaint in many different threads simultaneously. Since I usually read these boards once a day or so, I often note the same point being belabored a number of times.

In the immortal words of the best BU hoops coach ever, the negativity in this town stinks and it sucks.;)

1 person likes this.
  21. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannot begin to tell you how many times I've done that!! That's the great thing about debating/commenting on the internet.
    Some just want to ruffle feathers and type as if the guy they're replying to is right there waiting!!

22. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the negativity that's in this town sucks.

23. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people take an online message board about soccer way too seriously.

24. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, the third and fourth options are not mutually exclusive. I'd vote for both - yes, it's largely negative with largely legit complains, but the tone is fine and it's part of being a fan.

25. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner.

New Poll: Why do people take Revs Big Soccer so seriously?

Drugs
    Alcohol
    Mixing Drugs with Alcohol
    Lack of Human Contact
    Makes living in mom's basement bearable
    Makes living at the assisted living center bearable
    Passing time till the home opener
    Still suffering from Alexi Lalas Derangement Syndrome
    Other (explain)