Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver on sale 9/23

Discussion in 'Books' started by jamison, Sep 22, 2003.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    [​IMG]

We had a Stephenson thread a couple of months ago, but Quicksilver is to be published tomorrow. NYtimes wrote a review, quoted partially below:

So. Anyone read it yet (don't spoil the book, please)? And yes, I misspelled his first name in the thread title.

I'm looking forward to this, as well as his follow up due in April.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I to an wondering how good this book will be. I just read Cryptonomicon and thought it was good.

3. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    crypto is perhaps the best book EVER

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    It was so good in fact, I kept wondering when they were going to announce making it into a movie, secretly glad that no one had as they'd surely ruin it with Keanu Reeves playing Randy.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    There was a review of Quicksilver in the Washington Post Book World.

Quicksilver

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Got it yesterday, hopefully I can start it tonight. One thing, in hardcover it's heavy. Nearly 1000 pages, rough cut on the edges. I like the maps on the inside.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    So, has anyone read the book?

Any comments?

8. Ruud Boy

Ruud Boy New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Lakewood, OH
    I've bought this book and have been stuck on page 90 for a while. I've finished a few other books since I've bought this one. I guess you could say it starts out kinda slow.

I ripped through cryptonomicon, but this one has yet to hold my attention.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so for the uninformed among us, what was cryptonomicon about and why was/is it so good?

just curious.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to describe. The plot switches between WW II and modern day, has to do with encryption and missing Japanese gold.

But what made it fun to read was that every so often the author diverges into the actual math behind the stuff the characters are doing. I enjoyed this, and I'm a geek, so if you're a geek you may enjoy it too.

You can read the first few chapters online at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/text.html -- I read this one afternoon at work and bought a copy on my way home from work that night. If the excerpt does not appeal to you, then don't bother.