NCAA tournament

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by KinleyDog, Sep 30, 2003.

1. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Boys and girls, one and all it's time to start planning ahead.

Who are the locks to make the tournament? 8^)

Who are the the ones that will squeak in? 8^}

Who are the big name schools and disappointments that won't make it. 8^{

Less than 2 months to go!! Oh boy!!

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    One big name that won't make it is Duke.

3. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    early?

We are basically at the midway point in the regular season so I think it's a bit early the decide who the top 48 teams will be in mid-November. Most conferences have a wildcard in the deck anyway with their tournament champions getting an automatic bid even if they were 0-whatever in the regular season. I'll wait awhile before predicting anything.

4. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    well...that's what I sorta thought would be kind of fun...you know going out on a limb...I've heard that to make the NCAAs you need minimum 12-14 wins...will UVA make it?... they have 4 wins now with 8 to play...one against UMD...plus the wildcard of the ACC tournament...hmmmm....

5. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    If your plan for UVA making the tournament includes beating Maryland, forget about it. Not trying to be a UVA hater b/c we know that doesn't sit well here, but they are having a down year and Maryland is stacked. That depth will serve them well in both the ACC Tournament and the NCAA's.

From what I've been able to gather, Maryland's toughest game of their ACC season may be have been on September 14th.

6. NJGUY

NJGUY New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Way Early.But btw seton hall got in last year with 9 wins.

7. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I think a lot of it depends on not only who you beat, but the quality of the teams that beat you. I remember back in '97 a 9-6-3 Clemson squad made the tournament and was one "Homer PK" call away from beating UCLA and being in the final four. I guess my point is that they will let a 9 win team get in and that team may very well be a good side.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    If you play a pretty hard schedule and don't lose to any crappy teams, then you should definitely be able to make it with less than 12 or 14 wins.

9. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    i thought that i would resurrect this one from the ashes. now that we're a little closer to tournament time, any thoughts on:
    - sure bets
    - bubble teams
    - definitely out

sorry for being a little over eager the first time.

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    From the ACC, UNC, Wake and Maryland are sure bets.
    Virginia is a bubble team. Clemson has to win the ACC tournament to get in. Everybody else is out.
    South Carolina is a bubble team, and with a tough remaining schedule, they probably don't make it. I think it's time for Berson to get himself into a conference.