NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ManiacalClown, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    I knew I could count on you to miss the sarcasm! ;)

2. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just wanted to tell you that there are threads devoted to the 2 semifinals and the finals of the WCC. If you want to talk about the semifinals and the finals please also go to those threads to talk about it. Thanks

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    sarcasm?

Anyway - The final was an interesting match. The referee was awful, he called penalties that shouldn't have been, then looked the other way when players were tackled in the box. Fortunately, however, I don't think changed the outcome of the game.

Congrats to Notre Dame. Hopefully, I'll get everything processed from the weekend and online by Tuesday evening.

4. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that. I thought ND's penalty probably should have been a free kick from the top of the box, UCLA's penalty was won by a blatant dive where the forward dropped as soon as she felt contact, and ND probably should have been awarded a penalty later when Chapman was tackled in the box (I wasn't sure what possessed Stone to say it was a clean tackle).

5. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    The ref is the head assignor out here in Northern California and has been reffing soccer for way too long (he did my games in high school!!). He was terrible then and is worse now. He talks to the players all the time and gets pissed off at you and then holds a grudge by calling fouls on you.

I thought he called the game way too tight for most of it, and then for the last 15 of regulation he decides to let everything play. How is a player supposed to react?

Here in Nor Cal we have real problems at the college games with terrible referees, but this guy controls it all and has his little mafia of refs and doesn't assign the new, younger refs (or the latin ones).

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have a sequence of 5 photos of the ND Penalty that show the entire play happening outside the box. But then later on I have a shot of Candace Chapman being clearly being chopped down in the box - but no call came. Go figure.

He really called way too many fouls. Neither team was being cheap or dirty. He should've let more of the 50/50 and 60/40 contacts go - let the players play.

7. pantone159

pantone159 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Austin
    I thought the foul was inside the box... at least, the strongest contact when Thorlakson (sp?) got shoved in the back, that part was (albeit just) inside. Maybe some of the first contact was outside, but that shove in the back was definitely inside.

8. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Let's see the pix!

9. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a nice picture from Andy in the "leading off" section of this week's SI, capturing the collision between Thorlakson and Henderson.

10. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    That's an outstanding photo!! Great work Andy. Do you have a webiste where you post your photos?

11. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
  12. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    So unless this is some optical illusion this is clearly taking part in the "D". So how was this a penalty kick?

13. pantone159

pantone159 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Austin
    That last picture (6) is closest to the point where I thought the decisive shove occurred. Thorlaksen is leaning forward and her upper back is probably just inside the box at this point.

I had a pretty good view of the play, I was sitting right about where the edge of the box is, 2/3 of the way up, and at the time, I definitely thought the shove was inside. Some/much of the contact was outside, but the part that had to be called was in fact inside.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I completely disagree. But there's no way the referee - from where he was standing - could have seen anything inside the penalty box except for where Thorlakson landed.

It was a PK call that should not have been made.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought it shouldn't have been a penalty for Thorlakson and I was rooting for ND. I was sitting in the parking lot side seats, top row toward the end by the goal looking down on the penalty area where the foul occurred. IMO it was just outside of the penalty area. I remember mentioning to the guy next to me that I didn't think that should have been called a penalty.

16. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno if anybody noticed, but maybe the referee got a little covert assistance from the AR on whether to call it a penalty or a direct kick? While the referee may have been out of position to determine whether it was in the box or not, the AR should have been better-positioned (although probably not right on the line since I'd assume UCLA had at least one defender farther back in the penalty area).

17. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I can't believe this discussion. No question both teams got pk's that were undeserved - no question ND also had a legit pk claim denied, either (IMO)

UCLA missed theirs.

Of course, UCLA was up because of one of the worst looking own goals I can remember (some sort of cosmic payback for the awful own goal they gave UNC last year?)

I also felt like it was a just result (ND deserved to win) - but what about Thorlakson - she made a couple of 1v2 or 3 moves that were unbelievable (particularly late in the 1st half - when she beat two defenders and hit a way to open ND midfielder at the far post - she was so open she never really took a shot and that SHOULD have made it 1-0). And what about ND's organization on set plays - the Bruins misfired despite being really left open on several corners and free kicks (even though the announcers kept talking about ND's height advantage), especially on the corner following the missed PK.

PS - you mean ref'ing was kinda random at an American soccer match? what a shock :rolleyes: