NCAA D1 Tournament General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Sad to see Wake Forest go out on a deflection and a PK that shouldn’t have been awarded (foul clearly occurred outside the box). But Michigan’s size and speed were too much for them in that first half. Lots of missed chances in the 2nd (and two off the post).

Was hoping Washington State and NC State would go through too.

All of my Cinderella’s are out. Who to cheer for now?

2. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor PAC12, but really, they've have their fair share of success and championships over the past couple years.

3. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    USC had an exhausted Penn State team on its heels in OT but couldn’t get it done. Penn State’s keeper was the huge difference in the shootout. Soccer is still the cruelest sport.

West Ender and Fitballer repped this.
  4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the curse I placed on the Trojans worked? :sneaky::whistling:

5. Jules99b

Jules99b Member

United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Just came back from the RU vs SLU game. I thought it was the best Rutgers has looked since playing Indiana (though they could've played just as well against Illinois for all I know, no footage of that game). The best part is that most of RU's starters came out with 25 min left.

West Ender repped this.
  6. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    The most impressive performance of the day to me was Pepperdine. I knew they were good (watched them play a couple of times) and thought they would win, but I didn’t expect them to banjo NC State that badly. Maybe I overrated NC State because they looked completely outclassed and very poor, but I would rather give credit to Pepperdine. FSU will have their hands full.

Jules99b, West Ender and Fitballer repped this.
  7. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Pepperdine definitely came to play, but NC State also didn’t look their best. Meanwhile FSU just smacked down a good SMU side. Sunday will be a good game.

West Ender repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very interested to see how the Virginia v BYU game goes. Santa Clara v Wisconsin and Penn State v South Carolina, too, both involving two unseeded teams.

9. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    If the BYU-Virginia game is as open as the BYU-Alabama game, it will end up like 7-6 with all the attacking talent on the field. Must watch television for sure.

10. Jules99b

Jules99b Member

United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    That UVA vs BYU game is going to be wild. Two offensive juggernauts going toe to toe. I'd place my bets on UVA because of their better defense but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

11. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    I wonder what the deal looks like with ESPN. Do they have something in there to address the fact that College Cup may need to change days to Thursday-Saturday? We are a BYU win in Provo to that scenario occurring.

I wasn't surprised BYU won, but I was surprised they kept UVA off the board.

WCC is now 7-0 in the NCAA tournament.

Fitballer repped this.
  12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    BYU is legit. They can definitely win it all!

13. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    No doubt. Their attack is tremendous and will always give them a puncher's chance. Tonight their defense was very good. Maybe they knew they could outscore Alabama and just decided they were fine with the game being as open as it was.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Alabama?

15. Jules99b

Jules99b Member

United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    I was surprised that a final score of 1-0 didn't go Virginia's way. A defensive grind had UVA written all over it. BYU deserves massive credit, their offense has been stellar all year.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You got the point spread right

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    BYU played hard throughout and very well defensively for a team best known for iit's attack and scoring. It is a quick, well-organized team, back to front, and good in transition. In terms of possession, it was a pretty even match--but while UVA had 15 shots, only 3 were on goal and I can't remember any of them really troubling the BYU keeper. Virginia's issue is that it is very dependent on Ordonez to score--and BYU did a marvelous job of keeping the ball away from her; she got a mere 1 shot in the game--and 0 on goal. That--and direct transition play--is how you beat Uva.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what the Pre-Championship Manual says:

Note: If an institution that has a policy against competing on Sundays for religious reasons advances to the semifinals,
    pending the outcome of the semifinal games, the championship game may be contested on Monday, Dec. 6. The second
    and third rounds may also be contested on Thursday and Saturday if institutional policies prohibit Sunday play.
    So, if BYU makes it to the College Cup, the semi-final game will remain on Friday, December 3. If they win that game, the Championship game will be on Monday.

Soccerguy1022 and Nooneimportant repped this.
  19. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game might have been different if the ref didn’t miss that egregious push in the box. Gross.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    BYU’s defense was nothing to sniff at.
    Virginia gave up 13 goals this year and scored 58 but BYU only gave up 16 to date and are the highest scoring team in the Nation.at 72 goals and a 3.6 goal per game average.

Fitballer repped this.
  21. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 West Ender, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    I can't tell you how many injuries Penn State has had this year.
    After starting out strong, the team was down 2-4 starters for large portions of the season.
    The teams' 2 best defensive players were out, and the best offensive player was playing at 70% and came out of the game injured again, late in extra time.

Fitballer repped this.
  22. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Good catch. Makes more sense from a TV perspective.

Fitballer repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't know if it's just my perspective or reality, but I've never seen/noticed a year
    where there seem to be more teams capable of winning this thing.

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I was shocked at what I consider to be mediocre attendance at the BYU/UVA game. I thought that would have been packed!

Fitballer repped this.
  25. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    Agree. But it will be a 4500-5000k plus sell-out next week in Provo however. Fan support for college soccer in Utah is the highest in the country with BYU far and away #1. Temps will be in the 30s as well so might impact the game especially if South Carolina comes to town. Doubt many of those girls have ever played in freezing temps before.

Fitballer repped this.