NC State player questions

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bigdush, Nov 11, 2003.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Just curious on a few players that some people may have been able to watch over the course of the regulare season.

The two in particular that I'm curious about are sophs on NC State's squad.

Aaron King and John Queeley.

I've checked the website, just curious as to what anyone thought that have actually been able to watch a game.

Let me know, thanks.

2. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    i saw king at the uva v. ncstate match and was impressed. in my view he took it to the weaker uva defenders and came away even with oliver whose strong in the back. in my opinon king had size, speed and reasonably good skill.

i can't say that queeley did something in the game that impressed me enough to look down on the program to find out who he was. i'm not saying he isn't talented, i just don't know who he is.

3. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Queeley is a defender. From what I can gather, he will take some free kicks too.

I guess it is a good thing that you didn't look at your program for the defender that "just got beat" and found that it was Queeley. As a defender, if you don't remember him, at least he must've been doing his job.

4. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    the only thing i remember about the state defense against uva was that they seemed disorganized as a group. i can't comment on any individual skills tough as i just don't remember. others did comment to me that state had defensive problems, but it wasn't so apparent, cause uva can't finish anyways.

5. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    State has gven up 10 goals in the last 13 games (0.76 GAA) and has posted 6 shutouts during that span (this stretch included the entire ACC schedule). I think a lot of teams would like those type of defensive "problems".

Statistically comparing last year's State team to this year's team - the biggest improvement area has been the defense.

Offensively
    2002 team averaged 1.2 goals per game
    2003 team averaged 1.3 goals per game

Defensively
    2002 team surrendered 2.3 goals per game
    2003 team surrendered 1.17 goals per game

6. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    IMO, State's best front runner is Bryant Salter, who was hurt most of the season. King is good...but needs to work on playing with his back to the goal, and he has no left foot whatsoever.

7. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    this is true of late, but you have to remember, i saw them only against uva, and in the previous games they had given up:
    2 against georgia southern
    4 against ucsb
    2 against w&m
    2 against gardner webb
    1 against umd
    1 against temple

that's probably people were saying they were a little disorganized at the time.

8. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Queeley has had a good year. He is very fast, has excellent size, and flat doesn't get beat. He could be a little smarter in his distribution after winning the ball (which he almost always does). I've seen him play very smart out of the back so I know he's got the capability. He just seems to lose his concentration from time to time. IMO, he's one of the best defenders in the ACC. He's only going to get better.

Aaron King? He sucks. Can't finish. No speed. Terrible shot--a lot like Marcus Story's. UNC shouldn't even bother to defend him tomorrow.

9. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    k1v1n coming through with the sarcasm of the night! YES!!!

GO STATE!

10. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    From what I can gather from the website, in the past two years is that when Salter and King are on the field together, good things happen. Is that true?

What are his misgivings about playing with his back to goal? Is it that he chooses to not check back, or is it that his first touch checking back loses the ball, or is it that he is poor at turning once he's received the ball?

The no left foot thing could end up killing this youngster. It's something that he's needed to work on for a long time. But everytime we used to talk about him working on it, he'd go and score a cracker with it (and subsequently, playfully, rubbed our faces in it).

By the way, thanks to everyone who is responding for humoring me.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Personally, I am just in awe that there is a thread about State soccer that doesn't revolve around how much they suck, why they suck, why the coach shouldn't be fired, why he doesn't get fired and how little the AD cares about soccer.

State really is making progress!