NC high school refs

Discussion in 'Referee' started by sweeper1482, Oct 26, 2003.

1. sweeper1482

sweeper1482 New Member

Oct 24, 2001
    I was hoping for some clarification on a call that I witnessed. A player was given a red card for "spitting too much." Those were the ref's words spoken to the coach of the player after the game. He said that the player was spitting too much, not that he was spitting on another player or on the ref or even particularly close to anyone, simply he was spitting too much. Is this even a foul?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like a You Had To Be There (YHTBT) call. Spitting is only a foul if it is directed at someone, in which case it is indeed a red card offense. I can't imagine someone spitting where there are no other players nearby being a problem.

3. love to play

love to play New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    I am a NC HS ref

Sweeper - I am NC HS ref. I can not imagine a red card for spitting too much. I have heard some crazy stories from folks this season ( I get them all the time from the people that I work with who have kids playing) and this is definitely a you had to be there situation. I would hope that there was some miscommunication and maybe the coach or somebode just misunderstood what was said.