NC Courage 2017

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Jan 12, 2017.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, if I recall correctly, they can't fill empty roster spots if it would violate the salary cap, and the players who are out (but not waived) have their salaries count against the cap. Someone who knows for sure, am I right?

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know @Beau Dure was looking into it. The Roster Rules they announced at the beginning of the season made no sense. With the minimum raised to 15k, a full roster of 20 players only left a grand total of 45k to be spread around for over-minimum salaries. That's 30k if you want to save 15k in reserve to replace someone.

If the "national teamers" don't count against the 345k cap, then you get into a bizarro world where teams are in completely different places based on how many national teamers they have. But let's say the Courage started the season with 17 non-NT players. 17x15 = $275. That leaves them a grand total of 70k. They need to leave at least 15k in reserve for a replacement player, so that reduces the 70k to 55k.

And that's with internationals like Debinha, Rosana, Kawamura, Erceg, and US pool players like Hinkle, Dahlkemper, McDonald all earning 15k/season. Veterans like Zerboni and first round draft picks like Hatch - 15k.

You've got 55k total to push those players over 15k.

And we haven't mentioned Darian Jenkins. The team actually started the season with 21 players on the roster with Jenkins on the 45 Day Disabled List.

They've since added Stephanie Ochs - which takes away your 15k in reserve.

Beau can correct me, but the numbers the league released at the beginning of the season have never added up.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I got no answer. Argh.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But you agree that the published numbers don't work.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @babranski - I have been looking to read eyewitness game reports from you, especially since @AndyMead has indicated he is somewhat restricted in writing specifics about what he observes.

P.S. Ohai's injury sucks. I hope she can recover quickly.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Players under contract with another NWSL team are never going to show up for practice. The players I have seen are unsigned draft picks, practice squad players, and released players from other teams (Paige Nielsen and Stephanie Ochs for instance.) There are also some college and high school players that come in randomly to give them enough bodies to scrimmage, but I know the team works hard to stay within NCAA guidelines - Palladino was absent last week when a few UNC players were the scrubs for the day.

The only roster player controlled by another team I've seen isn't actually under contract and has not appeared at any training sessions. They just showed up at a game and talked to fans after the game - and the Courage actually used a photo I took of her posing with fans on National Selfie Day. http://isiphotos.photoshelter.com/g...5bJTZRa0rjE/I0000h33ECXWDI68/C0000U4PKcqT3fy8

I don't go out of my way to hide information, but I am not press/media for the Courage, I'm an NWSL contractor. When they ask that I don't shoot something, I put the camera down.

That said, I am generally not privy to any information that any member of the media would not have if they actually showed up at training.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Correct. There's clearly more to the system than we can see.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I didn't see last year's release, but it looks like they just moved the minimum up to $15k without addressing the impact on the "Cap". Nor do they define how the USSF/CSA players are handled.

I assume there is some pro-rating going on for Niemiec - who retired - and Rosana - who was waived. Ochs fills one of those slots and is probably on a minimum contract, but the team has had 21 players (20 with Rosana gone) if you count Darian Jenkins. Now both Jenkins and Kawamura are on the DL, but it all remains problematic.

I guess since the numbers didn't work from the point the email came out, I shouldn't really worry about it.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest, you can expect a WHOLE lot more attention on the NC Courage going forward. Much as I was excited to be able to go to games, it was still sort of secondary to my STAN'ing. Is that a word?

CoachJon repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually anticipating them trading one of the spots considering how full their roster was not but 3 weeks ago. Now, they have the roster space to fill both of them. Still hoping against hope for Lucy Bronze. It's still a need & she had a fantastic Spring Series with FAWSL.

YES IT'S ALSO BECAUSE SHE WENT TO UNC & I WON'T APOLOGIZE FOR THAT. *huff*

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've read that Bronze has had a very good year. It's probably more accurate to say she "played for" UNC.;)

CoachJon and AndyMead repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANKS for the photos!. Based on your post in the other thread it was a very late night for you. Just in case you didn't know: Taylor Smith is incorrectly identified as Jaelene Hinkle in the two photos with Micaela Hahn: NWSLAJM070817286.jpg and NWSLAJM070817287.jpg.

The team seemed to be so close-knit last year (this year, too) - it must have been great fun for Michaela to goof around with her friends on the Courage.

AndyMead repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ugh. It was a very late night. Hinkle is actually standing to the left telling me not to encourage them. I shouldn't caption photos when I'm exhausted. I'll get those fixed.

Thanks.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BlueCrimson repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I didn't recognize her at the time. I wonder if they were going to present her a ring before the game. With all the weather delays there was no pregame ceremony. The players ran out, the referees and two captains did the coin toss at the edge of the field, the two starting 11s posed for me real quickly, then the game began.

Then again, I believe rings might be from the Sahlen's, so she probably was just shipped hers.

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The July transfer window has been open for some time, hasn't it? I'm surprised NC hasn't made signings yet... they said they were working on it several times. They appear to be getting healthy so it isn't a huge necessity, but they're still a few holes I'd like to see filled. Ochs gave them decent & needed depth at wide back, so now they're just looking at issues down at CM. Zerboni, Mewis, & Debinha don't exactly have a lot of depth behind them, & Deb is leaving to be with Brazil. Do they move Erceg up? Do they shoe horn Witteman inside?

Odd asking these questions as I'm simultaneously gearing up for the UNC season... arguable one of the largest ever rosters that have both experienced & quality players at every position.

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7-11-17 Training photos by @AndyMead : http://andymead.photoshelter.com/gallery/2017-07-11-NC-Courage-Training/G0000U4Uk.8PgvQc/2/C0000r4tjx2MtC4g
    Thanks!

Questions :
    Does Jenkins look ready? II would think 45 days on the DL has lapsed by now, but the NWSL injury report still has her on the list.

How is Ochs fitting in?

Overall did they look ready for POR on Saturday?
    Comments:
    Zerboni seems leaner that I have ever seen her. She is playing more 90 minute games in a row than I recall in her previous years. Given the mileage she puts on, she was often subbed out at 75 min or so.

Folks might not know that Ochs and Zerboni played together on the 2012 WPSL Elite (Championship) team for the WNY Flash.

I think Debinha plays a more run-and-run-some-more game than any Brazilian ever. Although I have marveled at how hard Marta works every minute every game.

I think Mewis, Zerboni, and Debinha have earned a rest.

And one for the Rivalry thread: Drinking game - on Saturday take a swig of your Gin and Tonic every time Horan gets up off the ground whining or crying. ​

blissett repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #221 CoachJon, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    ZERBONI!
    https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...rboni-is-just-as-important-as-the-big-scorers

http://www.excellesports.com/news/mccall-zerboni-nwsl-courage-carolina-soccer/

She has been doing this her whole career:

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (June 14, 2011)- Two goals and two assists, coupled with her consistent delivery of hard work earned Western New York Flash Forward/Midfielder McCall Zerboni the majority share of votes, and the honor of being named Women's Professional Soccer's Player of the Month for May.

The Flash's 5-0 record in May can be largely attributed to the tireless work of Zerboni, who appeared in all five May games for the Flash, while logging a total of 353 minutes on the field. The San Clemente, CA native earned top honors in Week 6 as the Player of the Week after notching an assist and two goals, including the game-winner in the Flash's 3-2 victory over the Boston Breakers on Friday, May 13. She assisted the equalizer in the Flash's May 29th match against the Philadelphia Independence, and her hard work in this game turned out to be the difference when she was clipped, while dribbling through Philly's 18 yard box, which set up the game wining PK.

Breast Cancer Fundraisng:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland-thorns/2015/05/portland_thorns_mccall_zerboni.html

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Riley was on the Inverted Triangle Podcast with Neil Morris…
    Starts at about 51:00, after the HAO interview. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/Radio/audio/16857739/

Recorded mid-day on Thursday, before the BRA-AUS and USA-Japan games.​

A summary of a few points:

Saturday vs. Seattle –

Riley said he expects that Debinha, Mewis and Dahlkemper will play on Thursday in ToN tournament, and that Williams and Smith will get some minutes.
    He does not expect to play Debinha or Mewis Saturday. “Dahlkemper has to play.” He said Williams will play and Smith will play.​

Holstad and O’Sullivan -

Nora Holstad comes in on Friday. He signed her to get another center back, so he can play a 3-back, as a replacement for Yuri Kawamura. … he likes the overall team play with a 3-back rather than 4-back…​

Denise O’Sullivan was signed for midfield depth. He said she can play the outside of the diamond, up as a #10, or even back to fill in; she has been very good in practice this week, and probably fits in better with our style than Houston’s. ​

Team Fitness -

Hinkle is in “great form” this week…back from her injury. Eddy is near 100%. Williams is at 90%, McDonald at 85%; he said if he needs to wait a couple of more weeks to get them both back on the field, he will do that.​

He said Hatch and Hamilton are in great form and that Hamilton has been tearing it up in practice this week.​

He LOVES Darian Jenkins, and thinks she may be available in as soon as three weeks. She played 70 minutes on Saturday; she is OK straight ahead but still has some weakness cutting and turning. ​

Jaycie Johnson is still rehabbing her ACL.​

Jenkins and Johnson next year will be like having an extra two really great draft picks.​

Twitter –

His wife laughs at him about all the pictures of his bulldogs.​

blissett repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+