NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching NEW-ARS on USA through my Roku which already adds 10 secs or so of buffer delay. But that's practically live compared to my NBC Sports apps running on my iPad at the same time which is a full 50 secs behind my TV, thus 60 secs behind true "live". Even if the app has the big red "LIVE" label top left. WTF. What do they not understand about how important it is to watch sports in real time? Truly live and up to date. SMH.

2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 10 seconds are likely just a limitation of current technology.

The full minute, however...

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can live with 10 secs, and put that down to Roku. But the 50-60 secs by NBC/app, that's a complete fail in my book.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this problem two decades ago when listening to streaming radio. If I started my stream after others, I'd be well behind in the viewing chats.

Do the masses really care though? Yeah, it's important if you're following online, but beyond that...

Where it *can* be annoying is if you're watching something and your guide says the new show starts at 5:30 and it's really 5:32 because of that delay. (I'm thinking local news that has the clock on the screen. If you stream your news, you cannot depend on that clock to be anywhere near accurate.)

The SiriusXM app is deliberately behind and part of the reason is technology, but another 2008-2010 era reason was so that if the device lost signal, it'd keep playing for a few minutes while it tried to log back on. I had an iPod then where I'd listen while on a shuttle bus. I knew I'd have another 2-3 minutes after my wifi signal crapped out.

I also know that a show on the SiriusXM app won't start until 2-3 minutes after the hour. If I tune in "on time" then it's early "app time."

I find it goes like this:
    Antenna is the "most live."
    Then it's cable/satellite in standard definition...the 4x3 type.
    Then it's cable/satellite in 16x9 HD format, including the 16x9 letterbox SD, which is really HD simulcast.
    Then it's internet-based stuff.

I had a TV which was only antenna. We'd go into the other room (U-Verse) and ask "did you see that" then it was on that TV after asking.

When that TV got swapped for an Amazon TV with Hulu, it jumped behind the U-Verse TV.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh... "progress"

6. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antenna's the only way to watch local morning news unless you have another clock nearby.

I also love it for sporting events that air OTA for the higher picture quality.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Some Uruguayan sports radios have an option to delay the audio stream by 5-second increments, to help viewers to synch it with their video feed.

8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I bought a fairly nice antenna about 2 years ago and I watch everything I can OTA now except for MLS on Fox because even the Fox OTA feed is worse than the Apple stream.

I legitimately get about 60 channels in my city and usually pick up stuff in Midland and Odessa that are 120 or so miles away.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is there a real source? WST is essentially the National Enquirer and nothing they post should be believed unless there's a legitimate news source reporting the same thing.

11. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The article has several sources, including The Athletic.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use code Summerofpeacock for a year of the commercial-filled version of Peacock for only $20.

It only works if you're not already a subscriber. I believe you can upgrade for $5/mo more.

I wonder if I could cancel my current account, which I think ends in September and then do this on a second account.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "summerofpeacock" code expires Monday!

14. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for this, created a new account and grabbed a year for $20. I was month-to-month so I'll have the original account through early July, didn't have an option to cancel immediately but I'm not going to sweat $3-4 pro-rated.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Peacock does some great deals! Got it for $1/month last year during one of their promotions. A full year for $1 per month!

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Wonder if Tyler will continue to call the Monday night premier league game for the world feed like he's done the last several years.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, Tyler was THE voice of the EPL for the 90's & 00's. He obviously worked before and after that period, but he OWNED those decades IMHO. All the best Martin.

p.s. He's pretty old, but he's still got some chops, so I do wonder if he'll resurface elsewhere. Or just call time on his supreme career.

Redbullsnation2012 and Shen-O repped this.
  19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Peter Drury is taking over for Tyler as the #1 announcer for the PL on Sky so he's only going to do one NBC match a week, according to Awful Announcing, so it will be interesting to see who NBC goes with for the big matches Drury is calling for Sky. They could just go with the world feed, which would be fine.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I had never spent any time looking around the Peacock app > Sports > EPL other than watching that week's games. It looks like they have a channel that shows older game and various highlights/documentary stuff. But the on-screen guide only shows what is streaming now and what will stream next. Is there a schedule somewhere to see what they will stream on any given day or maybe even a few days in advance, including the times?

Chesco United repped this.
  21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I miss NBC Sports Network and Universal Sports/Olympic Channel.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The Premier League has new directives this year regarding "time-wasting" which means that there's going to be a lot more stoppage time at the end of halves this year, and it's also been implemented by the Championship. 8-10 minutes of stoppage time was what we saw quite of bit of this weekend in the Championship and in the Community Shield game.

The reason I mention this is to give those who are recording Premier League games on NBC/USA a heads-up to add at least 15 minutes to your DVR recordings as matches with this much stoppage time are going to spill over the scheduled 2-hour slot.

Though with 7 of the 10 matches exclusively on Peacock for opening weekend, it's going to be less of a concern.

TheJoeGreene and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has NBC still not settled on their TV schedule for this opening weekend?

For example, the Saturday 7:30am ET game (AFC-NFFC) is or isn't going to be on USA? I've seen mixed reports, but my DVR is definitely not listing it there. The only place I see it is Peacock :(