NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know what their expectations are when it comes to keeping costumers from bolting BUT...
    ... I would venture to say that their expectations is that one or two out of every ten people who get the free xfinity device will be sticking with them for Peacock content that is exclusive to them. They also have local channel packages and other channels they sell for people who still want those things.

So that is what? Eating 20 percent of the possible new market customers that Roku and Amazon are fighting for. That is not really desperation. That is a punch in the gut to the streaming world.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #2002 HomietheClown, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    And don't get me started on throttling and possible ways (unlimited data caps if you get the flex device) they can make their devices more attractive and look better on tv screens than the other devices.

I am not saying Comcast would do such things but....
    :ROFLMAO:

3. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    They are trying to vertically integrate. Everyone is, they all want to create their own monopolies. Amazon will have a device and platform, Apple another, Comcast another, Att another, none of their products will work with each other so you will need to have all devices and pay all subscriptions if you want access to everything. The difference is Amazon and Apple can create product people like and create monopolistic ecosystems, while Comcast and ATT can't and generally rely on their monopoly on infrastructure.

The Premier League should look into trying to split the rights between multiple companies (may not make sense economically), there is a reason the NFL or NBA don't go all in with one company, because they have a monopoly on the product and pull stunts like this. The content is ultimately the EPL's and they have an interest in promoting it, NBC and Comcast are an unwanted middleman by consumers who restrict access and interest in the EPLs product. They will survive for now but things like this drive people towards piracy or cause them to tune out altogether, the viewer/advertiser numbers won't justify billion dollar fees for this content (I hope) and ESPN buys it cheap for easy access or the EPL starts its own stream direct to consumers.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the only thing that sets NBC apart in a positive way is their studio team of Lowe/Mustoe/Earle/Martino. Could ESPN replicate that with Thomas/Burley/Nicholl/?? I have my doubts.

BUT ESPN's streaming platform is better technically, and seems to be the most advanced/reliable in our country... due to that acquisition they did several years back I guess. And the way they have marketed ESPN+ so far (and now Disney+) it seems like they are providing a better product, with more content, and greater value.

So part of me would be tempted to have the EPL rights switch to ESPN. But another part of me worries that that would lead to even less matches on real TV, which is something that me and my DVR really dig.

E.g. they are putting 100% of Bundesliga matches on ESPN+ but AFAIK very few of them on their TV channels.

5. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    Yea their studio team is great but ESPN would hire if they did get the rights. PL also puts out a ton of content and all Sky commentary is on YouTube. I’d rather have the matches easily, reliable and then instantly on demand afterward and have to fiddle for commentary than the reverse.

I don’t mind fewer games on tv is they can easily be streamed. In some ways it’s preferred, ESPN never shows much aside from MLS occasionally so it’s not a big deal to not have cable, I can stream 98% of what I want. The worst is NBC splitting equally so you are forced onto both.

ESPN negligence is almost a good thing, they don’t seem to have much incentive to milk soccer fans or fiddle with stuff, they just buy cheap rights to various leagues and dump them on the streaming platform. That’s perfect for me. I wish BEIN would die as well so ESPN+ could get la Liga. NBC was the best US broadcaster but now that they have a “successful” soccer asset they are trying to milk it and use it to promote their other crap products at our expense.

Realistically we are stuck with these shitbirds until they run the ratings into the ground. My only other hope is that someone at apple or Amazon is looking at this fiasco and seeing an opportunity to take a premiere sports assets off NBC for their own platforms. All EPL games with prime or att+ would be great, at least I know it won’t buffer!

Cubanlix63 repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Comcast hate goes back to Philadelphia residents not being able to get CSN Philadelphia on satellite providers due to the terrestrial loophole. At the time, there was some sort of law that said if a channel didn't use satellites to transmit a signal, the channel didn't have to be available to satellite providers.

Luckily, things changed and CSN Philadelphia is available on many providers.

As far as Comcast? They rebranded themselves to Xfinity in order to try to fool people into thinking it was a new product.

They're that awful.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikebsiu, daniloni and NorthBank repped this.
  8. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    ugh. I'm sure the10am game is somewhere, but the link doesn't work.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can NBC please fix their audio feed so that it’s not one second a head of the video?

It’s like little micro spoilers when Arlo white calls the goal right before it goes in the net.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, that's at least a positive step in this sh!tstorm, and makes it a bit more tolerable. The question now, is how soon?

I have to say I am slowwwwwly coming around with streaming, but I think what irks me is being forced to do it to watch content that was on cable. I would be happy to cut the cord and rely on my Sling, but you can't get the major base network stations which show a lot of sports. ie just the plain Fox, NBC, ABC channels etc... As other have said, the current world out there is like the days of the wild west regarding rights, competition, business models, new technology, etc. And we are caught in the middle, as everyone is trampling over each other trying to figure out what the fvck is going on.

I am in my mid 40's and this situation has accelerated my crotchety-old-man status to that of a 75 year old scrooge.

On a serious note, I did get Peacock, and at least they have replay (but no pause/RW/FF, seriously?) and the price is right. Price was never the problem. Its just another account to manage, with another company that now has my email to load up my inbox, yada yada.

A side thought I had is that I do think it hurts the potential growth of turning the average sports fan on to soccer. As someone earlier pointed out, it was nice to have the feeling soccer was gaining a wider audience with games on (albeit randomly) at sports bars and random places like airports, etc. Now you basically have to be a semi hardcore/hardcore fan to follow the EPL.

BocaFan, Renzi, NorthBank and 2 others repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Was afraid this day was coming. Tough choice for me if its worth the $5. So far I have only paid for streaming services like Netflix, ESPN and CBS who all have a plethora of content. With this it feels less like paying for a channel and more like PPV since we’re talking maybe 2 games per month I will watch for those 5 bucks. Its actually worse than PPV because I will still end up paying even if I am travelling or busy and can’t watch one of those 2 matches.

Guess I’ll start with the free trial. Unfortunately only 7 days which equates to one match - Chelsea x Liverpool.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still tonnes of commercials on Peacock! Makes the pregame unwatchable almost.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but if you pay them just double the amount (a mere $10/mo) then they'll spare you the ads. ;)

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Didn't see that option. Since the content is live and exclusive not sure how commercial-free option would work. :confused:

15. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I'm highly not enthused. When NBCSN started, the promise was that NBC would have as many channels as necessary to cover the premier league. What was that, 4 years ago? Now, there's nothing on cable because tiddly winks is playing on NBCSN and knitting is on the other channels. Last year we had 1 website to take up the remainder, for a small extra fee. This year, we have 2 website for 2 small extra fees. Next year? Maybe 20 websites and 20 small extra fees.

I watched nothing this weekend soccer related. Too much effort to figure out when the games would be and on what media.

unclesox repped this.
  16. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The thing is if NBC was just being reasonable about this people wouldn't complain.

I pay 5 bucks a month for IPTV, to get games I would not otherwise be able to get. It gives me European channels like BT Sports, Sky Sports and Eurosport. For example, Arsenal Liverpool is on Peacock next week. Which seems kinda ridiculous to me but I guess they are really pushing this and what better way to show a big time match on their. And not surprisingly it would be 8 days from the Liverpool Chelsea game also on Peacock, forcing people to buy the subscription if u already used your 7 days free for that game.

But I also pay for ESPN+. The amount of content that ESPN+ has just makes sense. I think it's a bargain honestly and will renew every year at this price point or even higher. I watch Serie A. 90% of the games are streamed through ESPN+. I can watch replays whenever I want. I also enjoy all of the content from the lesser tier football leagues along with the non soccer content.

But Peacock? I mean I can see if someone is interest in the non sport content but it just seems completely ridiculous to me to pay that amount of money for well......I don't even know up front how many Arsenal games will even be on the platform.

This is why people are turned off from cable or satellite. The bill goes up year after year when you get added channels you would never watch anyways. I look at Peacock the same way. Other than the EPL, there's nothing I would use that for.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  17. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it’s been mentioned here earlier but this weekend looks like back to the usual Saturday 7:30-10:00-12:30 and Sunday 8:30-11:00 kickoffs on nbcsn and nbc. Was this a start of season thing to drive people to peacock and now we’re back to normal? Let’s hope. I found it annoying to find alternatives.

18. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I think this weekend was a combination of the cycling and golf on the NBC networks, and the fact that in the UK, the games are all being shown on tv, so they staggered the kick-off times.

Looks like next week only 2 games are on what I now refer to as "The 'Cock"

Kryptonite, NorthBank and Mikebsiu repped this.
  19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? What do you mean two websites and two extra fees?

20. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Honestly, I don't know where the schedule is going forward. Who knows where the games are? I still have NBC Gold, because I needed that last year. Keep it or lose it?

21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no Gold anymore. Peacock has replaced it. At least know what you’re talking about before complaining. [emoji2359]

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Technically NBC Sports Gold still exists, it just has a bunch of sports other than soccer.

23. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    How much is peacock per month with no adds? $10? How much is peacock+ with no adds?

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! You made be literally LOL. I think that might just catch on!

25. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    i would love to know how many less people watched Chelsea Liverpool this year on peacock as opposed to on NBCSN last year. i feel for Rebecca Lowe and the Robbies.... always thought NBCs presentation of the EPL was one of the best of any sport in the US. now their audience is a tiny fraction of what it was and they have to constantly push this unpopular service. @NBCSportsSoccer twitter is hilarious to follow on game days. they'll post the schedule for the day (all games on peacock and maybe one on tv) and it's just dozens and dozens of people responding back how much they hate peacock.