NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't think that's possible. If you click "buy" it recognizes your 18-19 subscription, which is still sort of valid this week. You can manage your payment for the auto renewal though (which I did) if you want to switch the card it will charge when it recycles on Aug 5.

Fresh content (preview, news, Sky stuff, fantasy, etc) for 19-20 begins Weds Aug 7. Two days before Liverpool-Norwich.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    You get the discount by letting your 18/19 subscription automatically renew for 19/20. There doesn't appear to be an option to pay now unless you're a new subscriber, thus not getting the discount.

I just signed in via tablet and my account options for PL Pass were to turn off/on auto renew or change payment method. Unless adding a new payment method allows you to pay now (unlikely), I think you just have to wait for the auto renewal charge if you want the slightly discounted rate.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys. I will turn back on auto renew, and make sure that my credit card info is up-to-date.

4. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Deadline Day coverage: (FAO @Schapes)
    • SKY Sports News 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM LIVE
    • Premier League Transfer Deadline Day Show 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM LIVE

5. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, there'll be significant changes on Premier League programming on NBCSN for the upcoming 2019-20 Premier League season, according to John Ourand, Sports Business Journal media beat writer through the e-mail newsletter. It was emailed on August 5, 2019.

The excerpt:

NBC CONTINUES BETTING BIG ON PREMIER LEAGUE

As NBC Sports prepares to kick off its seventh EPL season this week, network execs are counting on having higher-quality games funnel to the broadcast network. That’s thanks to the fact that NBC’s corporate sibling, Sky, holds the rights to that 12:30pm ET window that NBC uses for these games and will be more likely than last year’s rightsholder, BT, to have better games in that window. The EPL also added another window that NBCSN will use at 2:45pm ET -- primetime in the U.K. -- which should bring more good games to the schedule and allow NBC Sports to produce quadruple headers about eight times this season.

Another change: NBCSN’s Sunday morning prematch show will be expanded from one hour to two. When the EPL decided to move its Sunday game times back by 30 minutes -- to 9:00am ET and 11:30am ET -- NBCSN responded by scheduling its prematch show to run from 7:00-9:00am. NBC also is committed to make more content available via its NBC Sports Gold streaming service and NBC Sports’ YouTube channel.

NBC Sports is coming off two consecutive seasons of viewership growth for its EPL coverage. A strong Championship Sunday in May led to a 4% season-over-season gain (457,000 vs. 449,000 viewers). The viewership for the EPL remains well ahead of MLS on domestic TV, but is still well behind the 1.1 million viewers that Univision's networks averaged for coverage of Liga MX during the 2018-19 campaign.

6. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gives me a little concern that they're gonna shift further towards the endless-talking-heads programming (no offense to the 2 robbies and kyle) at the expense of shows like MOTD.

Kev is probably saying "Of course! That's what I told you they'd do" ;)

8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They want to maximize their live windows, when people want to pay attention to sports. Put as much programming on weekend morning when Americans like the Premier League.

You'll be happy to see that MOTD is back this season.

Sunday, August 11
    • Premier League Match of the Day 1:00 AM - 3:00 AM NEW

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for looking that up for me. You know that I'd be much happier to see PL Review show brought back. ;)

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is great content

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league/schedule#live-upcoming

Notes: it looks like the PLP program Premier League News may be gone? Probably not a big deal since that's basically wrapped in to Premier League Today.

Goals on Sunday is a nice addition. Wonder if NBC will include the SPL and EFL Championship goals...

Soccer Saturday is great if you're busy at home and just want to listen to what's going on without being able to see everything.

Redbullsnation2012 and Frankball repped this.
  11. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If you had PL Pass last year and chose not to renew (by turning off auto-renew) you may want to check and see if they didn't renew you anyway.

I bought the second half for $25 last season and decided not to renew so I turned off auto-renew, figured I was fine. Now I just got an email that they tried to renew me, but there was an issue with my payment option. That's because I used PayPal, and turned off auto-renew in PayPal as well. So if I hadn't turned it off in PayPal they would have charged me even though I turned off auto-renew in my Gold account.

12. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Not the only one this happened to apparently as I just got an email from NBC Gold stating the following:

"You may have accidentally received an email from us regarding updating your payment method for the Premier League Pass.

We sent this by mistake – rest assured that if you have auto renewal off, you will not be charged for this season."

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Very interested in seeing what the numbers will be for Man U-Chelsea this weekend. Man U usually gets really good ratings on their own but the Chelsea Pulisic effect could make it even more intriguing for casual viewers and US National team fans who don't watch much Premiere League..

Anyone know if he is slated to start?

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Most previews have him on the bench. Chance he could start though, Lampard does seem to like him quite a bit. He’ll play at some point. And NBC are certainly featuring him quite a bit in shows and promos.

15. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are they promoting him as "The American", Fox-style?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And of course, this is what I end up doing for Prem week one

17. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1592 Frankball, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Here's the summary of Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday from the Wikipedia:

"Soccer Saturday

Football television programme, broadcast on Sky Sports

Gillette Soccer Saturday is a weekly television programme broadcast on Sky Sports in the United Kingdom and Ireland during the football season. The programme updates viewers on the progress of association football games in the United Kingdom on Saturday afternoons. The current host is Jeff Stelling. The programme is sponsored by Gillette."

"Format [the first paragraph]

Soccer Saturday is broadcast from 12 noon on Sky Sports News and lasts for up to six hours. The programme begins with the host and four regular in-studio pundits previewing the weekend's matches, reviewing recent results and debating current issues in football. The show is also famous for the rapport between the pundits and the presenter. There is much banter between the pundits and Jeff Stelling, who, in a good humoured manner, often points out each other's mistakes and incorrect predictions. Stelling exuberantly celebrates goals scored by his favourite team Hartlepool United. Viewers are kept updated on the progress of early kick-offs by reporters at the games and by graphics below and to the right of the director's cut. These graphics also includes latest team news and league standings. ..."

The full details:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_Saturday?wprov=sfla1

18. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the summary of Sky Sports' Goals On Sunday from the Wikipedia:

Goals on Sunday

Football television series, broadcast on Sky Sports

Goals on Sunday is a British football discussion television programme on Sky Sports that shows highlights and analysis of the Premier League, Scottish Premiership and Football League Championship matches. Shown every Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday (under the name Soccer Extra), the programme is fronted by Chris Kamara and Alex Scott."

The full details:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goals_on_Sunday?wprov=sfla1

According to the Wikipedia, the running time for this program is ninety minutes.

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like Goals on Sunday is Premier League only now. There are separate Sky Sunday morning shows for Football League highlights.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Goals-on-Sunday streaming only? i.e. NBCSN won't be airing it, like they've been doing with SSN?

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Correct, it's a feature in NBC Premier League Pass subscription. The only Sky Sports program on NBCSN is the hour of News.

It's a lot like what NBC MOTD used to be like but sub in Chris Kamara + guest for the Robbies, etc.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks mate. Always looking after me. ;)

Luckily I gave up on PL Review Show a few years back when it disappeared from TV.

It was sure great while it lasted. RIP

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Honestly I'm not sure what I'll watch for highlights! Two hours is too long. Maybe I'll just DVR the Goal Zones or VPN into the real MOTD (plus Sunday Goal Zone).

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG / PL Productions must still be producing the PL Review Show, right? If so, I would think there's a way to hunt it down on the Internet, perhaps via VPN. But, as you know well, that's too much trouble for me, so I'll leave that work for you or others. ;) But LMK if you find anything!