NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Depends on a lot of factors, including how you would handle the substitutions, the player sub for the injured player, etc. If it can't be resumed from the previous point very soon afterwards, then other injuries, transfer market situations, etc. could all come into play.

Kryptonite repped this.
  2. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It was announced yesterday that they would replay the match in full instead of resuming it:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67780629

There doesn't seem to be any word on whether the players who scored in match will still have their goals count.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, duh. I misinterpreted that as "starting from 0:00 with a score of 0-0" such as pressing the restart button on a video game.

It's similar to when people say "event canceled" when they obviously mean "postponed" but that's another story.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peacock:

"Catch up with key plays" -- Good
    The fact that I can't easily switch between Peacock and USA? I know why they do this...to get people to subscribe to USA...but it'd be a lot easier if there was a simple way to switch.

MLSinCleveland and NorthBank repped this.
  5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be Pay TV provider authentication within Peacock to allow for such ease for those who subscribe to both.

drt2k3, Kryptonite and NorthBank repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been calling them out for years on their splintered GUI (NBCSports vs Peacock)... it really should be unified by now. Maybe not trivially easy but surely do-able. And apparently it hasn't been a priority for them... to improve the customer's experience.

7. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Comcast is a cable company.

NorthBank repped this.
  8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    How quickly does your TV switch between inputs? If you have Peacock running on a Roku or Fire Stick or Apple TV and USA running on the cable it's only two quick clicks for me - not quite as easy as a one-click "last channel" button but not much more inconvenient.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes switching between inputs is slower than between 2 linear TV channels. I generally have my Rokus on HDMI2 and DVR on HDMI1, and when I want to switch from Roku and DVR/TV it generally takes 5-8 clicks to cycle around all the input choices. Would be cool if the TV manufacturers would make that a faster process a la the "last channel" button.

However, a much much more annoying thing I find is the tendency of streaming apps to timeout if they aren't the current primary focus. With my Tivo DVR I can pause a show for at least 30mins which is the standard buffer time if I'm just watching live, or I can pause it forever if I'm recording that game. Also I can turn off the TV and turn it back on much later with no ill-effect to the paused DVR.

Whereas on my streaming apps (usually on a Roku) I often find that when I come back after pausing or switching inputs or turning off the TV, it has dumped me back out of that active stream, back to the app's previous menu, or perhaps even back to the Roku main menu.

It's just another example of how the streaming industry IMHO neglected to look at what DVR's did well and to more closely mimic those user-friendly strengths. But it's never too late guys... if you really care. ;)

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are times when it's nice to have the streaming app kick back to the home screen of the device.

There's other times when it'd be nice not to.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Does anyone have the Peacock Premium package i.e. w/o commercials and with local NBC channel included?

Just wondering if you really get full access to the NBC local channel as you would with cable/satellite and what flexibility do you have in terms of rewinding, fast-forwarding, pausing, recording, etc.?

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of last summer, it was full access to the NBC local in your area... essentially, as if you had a subscription to the local provider.

There's no DVR controls for the live channels, but in my experience, NBC shows go into the archives by the next morning. Some of the other stuff (Reelz, for example) can take a bit longer.

I'm not sure I'd pay full price, but I did a $20/yr and am paying the regular price difference. It's well worth that cost, especially since I watch a lot of NBC stuff.

BocaFan repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This drives me nuts. I sometimes have to use the NBC Sports app and unlike virtually every other streaming app, NBC doesn’t allow you to start from the beginning, pause, RWD/FFD, etc. While their other big app Peacock DOES allow this. WTF?

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peacock just showed the Caitlin Clark postgame hype. The videoboard in the arena had a video with all sorts of Iowa people.

Peacock didn't show part of the video before going to commercial like most people might expect.

They showed the video and Caitlin on a split-screen.

More TV broadcasts need to do this when people get honored. Show the video the fans there get to see.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2541 NorthBank, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    GOD I wish NBC (and the others) would fix the ridiculous streaming buffer delays for live sports.

I've got SHU-ARS on USA via my DVR and it's a full 50 seconds ahead of the NBCSports app on my iPad. And if I wasn't using my DVR which adds it's own 5-10 seconds of buffer, it'd be close to 1 minute!

In the age of real-time social media this is completely unacceptable.

Please fix soon.

Addendum: I left the iPad streaming in parallel, didn't touch it. When the 2nd half started I checked and it had slipped even further behind my TV... it was now a full 75 seconds behind. So I stopped/started the stream and it's now only 40' behind. What shit-show streaming can be for sports.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I would just take a break from social media while watching footy. I mean, social media was interesting and fun when it came out in 2004-2005 but its kind of dead and boring now, no? I guess mindless scrolling is still an option during idle time on the train or something, but not while you're actually doing something like watching a game.

Art Deco and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Bottom line is that latency in live sports streaming is going to be an issue until it reaches a critical mass in terms of viewership that justifies the expense involved in addressing it, and perversely in a way reaching critical mass might mean it doesn't have to be addressed as if everyone's streaming as opposed to watching on cable, who cares if "live" is a minute delayed?

Until then if you've got a cable-watching (or stadium-attending) friend that texts you the second someone scores a goal, ask them to wait a minute. If they won't then you need to find better friends. But complaining about it incessantly on this board isn't going to lead to feats of engineering.

bselig repped this.
  19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Literally get off social media unless it's highly curated (like direct links to specific groups that actually enhance your life) or it's part of your job. The value is less than 0 for almost everyone. Get a dumb phone, or dumb down how you use yours.

76% of Twitter traffic for Super Bowl LVIII was fake.

This is centered around smartphones, but does a good job of digging into the ample research on the negative effects of social media usage, especially at young ages:

My dissertation research is literally going to be on college students doing a digital declutter (30 days with no social media) and its effect on their perception of cognitive load while studying.

BocaFan repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't do social media. I said "In the age of social media..." to highlight the instant connectedness we all have now. Perhaps I should've said "In the age of the smartphone..."

As quaint as it sounds, BigSoccer is the only thing I do that even approximates social media. And your point about taking a break from it and giving more attention to the match itself is not a bad one. But realistically I'm probably not gonna abandon the connected community during matches. So I just need to strike a balance.

But even if I did try to lessen my posting/reading in-match, there are still spoiling texts that can come in, which would be MUCH less of an issue if the streams were closer to truly live in the first place!

I don't necessarily buy that it's too expensive now to fix the latency problem. I can't give exact examples from memory, but for sure I've seen less latency for streaming live sports/events in the past. So even if they reduced it to just 10s streaming delay that might be enough. And from what I can tell it's not been going in that direction, it seems to be getting worse or at least staying the same.

Why do I bring it up so often? I not-so-secretly hope that my posts will be read by one or two people in a position of authority to actually effect positive change. A bit naive perhaps, but that's mainly why I do it. Other than just venting of course. :)

I do have people who text me from the stadium or while they're on "more live" streams. One of whom is my brother and sadly I cannot find a new brother. And yes I have let them know that I'm often 30" behind live... yet that doesn't always get them to modify their behavior or surpress their impulses. And there's no way I'm gonna be turning off my text alerts for every match I watch.

Assuming you don't consider BigSoccer or SMS to be social media, I'm already off!

Bottom line: It should NOT be the customer's responsibility to have to change their behaviors to fix/adapt to a new problem created by the broadcasters, when they have it within their power to fix the problem at the root. There are faint echoes in this from other corporate/societal issues like plastic products proliferation in our world. But I digress.

And here's a motto I might throw out: Let's move forwards not backwards.

21. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    #2546 Art Deco, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    "Expensive" only in the sense that if there were enough of a demand for it, they'd do something about it - i.e, if it were costing them subscribers. I'm not defending them (I'd prefer the latency be lower myself), just realistic on what's going to happen or not happen.

I watch Tampa Bay Lightning games on cable while my son away at college streams them, so I've trained myself to wait a minute or two before (or wait for him to text) before texting him, so if I can do it, surely your brother can. Or you can go with quiet notifications on your phone and look at it periodically or after a goal is scored or some other event worthy of discussion. It's not that hard, it's only 2 or 4 hours of the 192 in a week.

In general no, but there's a concept in law called "mitigation of damages" which prevents an injured party from recovering damages that could have been avoided through reasonable efforts. In other words, there are things you can do to ameliorate your problem that don't require Herculean effort but instead you'd rather not do them and wishfully hope that the streamers will solve it for you.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are nice measured comments. But I think it's...

Dumb that we're forced to go backwards in functionality and convenience
    Dumb to have the drama of live sports be spoiled more than it ever was with the "primitive old technology"
    Dumb for you and me to have make annoying accommodations for how we communicate, as you've done with your son
    Dumb that streamers will accept a lowered standard for how they deliver live broadcasts, compared to what was the norm for decades

23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The norm for decades was watching at my house or a bar. The new norm is watching on my phone wherever I am. The experience of watching the premier League while walking around my yard is much better than it used to be.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously I don't watch a lot of EPL, but I just saw that the game now on NBC (Villa vs Wolves) is also live on Peacock to Peacock subscribers.

The Peacock feed of NBC is about eight seconds behind Hulu on my TV.

Hulu on my phone is about 10 seconds behind Peacock.

It seems my U-Verse is way ahead of whichever is the most behind.

It'd be great if they could figure this out.

NorthBank repped this.
  25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Antenna feed is even farther ahead of everything. I believe I read somewhere that YouTube TV now has the smallest delay of the live streaming services, but the varied latency from Hulu on different devices is a bit silly. It could be the difference in the wifi vs wired, but it doesn't seem like it should be that much.